1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need advice on suspension, and clutch choices.

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Floggin, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Mar 30, 2013 at 10:01 PM
    Floggin

Floggin [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Bristol, TN
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma 4cyl 2.7
    I've read through quite a lot of threads and have seen a lot of different opinions on these two subjects. First off I drive a 99 tacoma 2.7 4wd. Should start off with what would you all recommend as far as suspension? I would love to achieve the "lean" look of bigger lift in front compared to the rear. What would I need in order to achieve this? I'm open for suggestions.

Second, the clutch. Currently my petal pretty much doesn't engage until it's at the top (clutch petal almost fully released). So I'm not sure what direction to go. I don't want something crazy expensive, but i'd like to have something a bit better than factory.

I sound like a noobie, because I still am so bare with me haha.

Here is a picture of my taco currently.

172827_500533445823_3205534_o.jpg

2. Mar 31, 2013 at 7:31 PM
    cmj

cmj Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Danville, CA
    Vehicle:
    98 4x4
    33 Duratracs, 881 coils, all pro leafs, sliders, relentless bumper, warn winch
    I replaced my clutch with similar symptoms. It was not slipping, but engaged late. I ended up putting in a Sachs model, because they were easy to get from my local parts store, and I know they are good quality (OE in BMWs). I found that the clutch disc had quite a bit of life left in it, even after 170k miles. The pedal engages a little bit earlier now, and it no longer squeaks when I depress the pedal.

I probably could have gotten another 40-50k out of it, but I drive a lot and its worth knowing that its done right and will not have to be touched for many years.

Suspension, you can get some OME springs for $160. Eibach springs are very popular also. Just do a search.
    http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/ometaco.htm

If your shocks are done, I highly recommend the bilstein models available. I have used their dampers on a few of my vehicles and they are very well designed, and offer a very consistent and predictable feel. I've never noticed any cavitation at high speeds, and the fronts have adjustable perches which allows you to change the ride height a bit.

Rear springs - do a search. An add-a-leaf kit will give you a little lift, but if your original pack is flat, the AAL won't last very long. Good luck and welcome to the forum!

3. Mar 31, 2013 at 7:51 PM
    tomtom

tomtom Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Desert SW
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma TRD
    OME lift w/ 882s and Dakar leaf packs, Elite front and rear bumpers, Rocky Road Rock Sliders
  4. Apr 1, 2013 at 5:30 PM
    Floggin

Floggin [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Bristol, TN
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma 4cyl 2.7
    The help is much appreciated. I'm considering purchasing the bilstein 5100's for my truck. I'm for sure going to get the marlin crawler clutch that Tomtom posted. Thanks again.

5. Apr 1, 2013 at 5:33 PM
    benbacher

benbacher Purveyor of Fun Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    ^
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma 4x4 LBDC SR5 TRD Sport
    Too many to list now.
    Billy's are probably your best bet, my thinking would be: replace all four shocks, the front two coils, and don't touch the leaves unless your ride is terrible. Should lean pretty nice with the fronts set to 1.75

To Top