1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need an "always on" 12V.

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by EricGagne, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Apr 27, 2011 at 11:40 AM
    EricGagne

EricGagne [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Montreal
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road
    Literider Tonneau Cover, RAM Mount Laptop Support. Uniden CB RTT and awning with self-designed custom rack Dual battery system - National Luna solenoid and monitor, Columbia Overland dual battery tray, 2 Odyssey PC1200 12 circuits Fuse block with 80A macro fuse block "breaker" OME suspension Replaced passenger area with a flat platform for my ARB fridge and camping clothes. Tiregate HG series
    Hey everybody !

I need to install a 12V outlet in the cab that will always be powered, I don't have to worry about the battery, I'm gonna use it for a fridge that draws less than 1 amp and has built-in protection to prevent it from draining the battery.

I can only see two options for a power source without having to splice existing wires.

Option 1. I could use a add-a-circuit on the fuse box but I don't think any of those circuits are always on, except maybe for the "DR LCK" (door lock) one.

Option 2. To make room in the cab I will remove the ugly sub-woofer that Toyota put there. I know the sub-woofer in the cargo area of FJ Cruisers always have power, you just turn them on and off with switch in the dash, many guys took their 12V source on that wire for their mods. Does anyone know if it's the same in our Tacos ? Since my fridge will be behind the passenger's seat, it would be perfect to use use that wire instead of bringing one all around and in the fuse box.

2. Apr 27, 2011 at 9:43 PM
    Jerry Bear

Jerry Bear Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Mesquite, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access Cab
    tint, topper, receiver hitch, trailer wiring, topper lighting, cruise control, intermittent wipers, backup camera, auto-dim mirror
    On the subwoofer, the white/blue wire is 12 VDC always on. It's fed by the 30A Radio No. 2 fuse. The Brown wire is ground.

3. Apr 28, 2011 at 5:18 AM
    EricGagne

EricGagne [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Montreal
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road
    Literider Tonneau Cover, RAM Mount Laptop Support. Uniden CB RTT and awning with self-designed custom rack Dual battery system - National Luna solenoid and monitor, Columbia Overland dual battery tray, 2 Odyssey PC1200 12 circuits Fuse block with 80A macro fuse block "breaker" OME suspension Replaced passenger area with a flat platform for my ARB fridge and camping clothes. Tiregate HG series
    Hey Jerry Bear,

Thanks a lot, that's exactly what I needed.

4. Jun 19, 2013 at 12:53 AM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    MGM 09 AC 4WD V6 TRD-OR w/ Tradesman Shell
    Just the basics
    Good info.
    I'm working on doing solar for camping. I will be using a fridge/freezer inside the cab and this sounds like a good way of powering it with existing wiring. Anyone know how I would use the existing wire/electrical and put it to a second battery under the hood instead of the stock battery?

5. Jun 29, 2013 at 11:56 PM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    MGM 09 AC 4WD V6 TRD-OR w/ Tradesman Shell
    Just the basics
    Has anyone used the wire from the sub to power something like a fridge?
    OP any luck?
    My goal would be to have this always on source of 12V powered by a 2nd battery under the hood. How would this be done? Seems finding that wire would be quite difficult.
    Looks like I could easily bring that wire out the little hatch or from under the plastic cover.
    Here are some pics from another thread about removing the sub/switching out the back seats for a pre-09
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2n...ccess-cab-rear-seat-conversion-05-08-a-2.html
    IMG_5931_96bb73024859ea5c7b170298b9997a6caa1a72fb.jpg

IMG_6026_10342acfb2e3a5bf40129cdb12b54e30bcd13fbc.jpg

Last edited: Jun 30, 2013

Products Discussed in

To Top