1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need battery help

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Khaos, May 27, 2010.

1. May 27, 2010 at 9:16 AM
    Khaos

Khaos [OP] Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Tallahassee FL
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prerunner TRD Off Road
    265/75/16 BFG A/T, 18" Magnaflow, K&N Intake Filter, Ultra-Gauge, Kobalt Toolbox, Metal Tail Light Guards, Cobra 19 and 4ft fiberglass antenna, Plasti dipped Badges/lower valance/rear bumper/grill/bullbar/ac controls, black DIN kit, JVC KD-X40, Wet Suit Seat Covers
    The battery in the Taco died the other day, I carry a battery jumpstarter in my backseat at all times, So i've had to jumpstart the Taco everytime I need to go somewhere the last three days... Which as you can imagine is extremely inconvenient.

I make almost no money at my current job and am seeking better employment. I need to know a good cheap battery I can put in the Taco. I can't afford $100+ on a battery, so I need to know what kind of reliable cheap battery I can get.

2. Jul 1, 2010 at 6:48 AM
    mws4ua

mws4ua I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Birmingham
    Vehicle:
    Sold my truck Jan '13... Still hang around.
    Nobody to help this guy? My battery died today and I need recommendations on a quality, basic battery.

WalMart? AutoZone?

3. Jul 1, 2010 at 7:05 AM
    mlittle

mlittle T O Y O T A

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Fort Sill, OK
    Vehicle:
    2014 Toyota Tundra Crew Max 4x4
    I would suggest going with a gel filled battery (Optima), but they're almost $200. I looked on AutoZone's site. The Duralast Gold for $95 (after core return) at AutoZone has an 8 year warranty.

I am no expert on batteries, but just trying to help.

The Duralast that I quoted was based on my truck, so the one for your truck may be different.

4. Jul 1, 2010 at 7:21 AM
    travelingman

travelingman What would Scooby do?

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    07lb4x4DC
    ticking eng.mo,ventvisors,locking tailgate,wheelmasters ss spare tire inflation line,weathertech mats
    I've been using NAPA batteries the last several years and am happy with them-reasonable price,I think

5. Jul 1, 2010 at 7:29 AM
    woodygg

woodygg Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    04 DC Tacoma 4x4
    I've seemed to find the best price/quality combo at Costco... unfortunately, they're not as cheap there as they used to be...

6. Jul 1, 2010 at 7:33 AM
    AeroCooper

AeroCooper Half the strength of ten (microscopic men)

Member:
    VT
    Vehicle:
    2014 Barcelona Sport Access Cab 4x4
    Leveled with 5100s @ 1.75", Hankook Dynapro AT/m, Ultra Maverick wheels, N-Fab side steps, WeatherTech floor liners, EGR in-channel rain guards, TRD shift knob for 10 extra mpg, Gentex 177 auto dim rear view mirror with compass and temp, CompuStar remote start, Muth heated signal mirrors, disable AC with defrost mod
    Sears Diehard are great, not too expensive and come with a warranty. I've also had no problem with Wal-Mart batteries in a pinch. Just look for the absolute highest CCA rating that you can afford that fits your truck.

7. Jul 1, 2010 at 8:45 AM
    mws4ua

mws4ua I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Birmingham
    Vehicle:
    Sold my truck Jan '13... Still hang around.
    Thanks all. My truck was running when I posted that b/c I didn't trust it to crank back up. I did a little searching online and finally settled on a Duralast Gold from Autozone. It was $101.01 after taxes (and $2 I let the guy sell me on anti-corrosive gel and pads).

3 year full replacement and 5 more years of prorated replacement warranty. The receipt is in the glove box and my truck starts right up now.

Thanks again.

8. Jul 1, 2010 at 9:23 AM
    gfiber

gfiber Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black TRD Sport Access Cab
    TRD sport pkg, Towing Pkg, Ham radio installation, bed lights, front 32 inch LED Bar behind the grill.
    2-3-2010
    Longtime competitors

Wednesday's developments represent another turn in the long competitive path traveled by Johnson Controls and Exide.
    In the mid-1990s, Sears, Roebuck & Co. dumped Johnson Controls in favor of Exide to make its Diehard brand batteries. That led to Johnson Controls to rework its battery business by cutting costs, boosting productivity and increasing its focus on technology, efforts that paid off in 1999 when the company again became the exclusive supplier of Diehard batteries.

Johnson Controls has made batteries for years and since February 2010 are exclusive to Wal-Mart. They also make the Optima Battery, Costco..I used to have a list of what private labels they did it was a lot of well known batteries.

9. Jul 1, 2010 at 11:46 AM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    If you are ever really in a bind, you might be able to get away temporarily with a $30 lawn tractor battery from Wal Mart.

I ran one in my Neon for a while--it's about half the size and weight of the stock battery, but starts the car just fine. The Tacoma engine is larger, so it could conceivably take more current than the little battery is capable of putting out.

10. Jul 1, 2010 at 4:11 PM
    jgang

jgang Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ha! Mine died last week too after 4 years and 55K. I bit the bullet and, after much research, bought a Diehard Platinum P-1 (group 34). It was $180, but I had a $75 gift card and even received a military discount, so I was out of there for around $110 or so after tax. Great battery, but I had to add a longer positive wire from the fuse box to the battery. 19" 6ga wire for $4 at WallyWorld. Really spins the starter fast now!

11. Jul 1, 2010 at 7:12 PM
    linkfeeney

linkfeeney Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    link the stink!
    aberdeen, nj
    Vehicle:
    09 Doublecab TRD Off-Road! Magnetic Grey!
    If you can find a battery that has the same CCA as the one that you have for a $100, then would be kosher... But Optima Red top/Yellow top and Die Hard platnium is all the rage right now... I think Johnson control makes sears batteries thou.

12. Jul 1, 2010 at 7:52 PM
    Primersinmyshoe

Primersinmyshoe Old Sheepdog

Member:
    St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    gray, shiny, dependable
    Glock 36, spare mag
    Who makes Interstate batteries. Here in MO they are an option.

13. Jul 1, 2010 at 9:31 PM
    knayrb

knayrb Well-Known Member

Member:
    Somewhere in the square states
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl-Cab Off-Road
    Pure stock
To Top