1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need clarification in using 4x4

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by JONNY TACO, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Jan 13, 2010 at 7:00 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat

I'd agree 100%...but if someone doesn't engage 4wd 3-4x per year, why on earth would they have a 4x4 to begin with?

Just sayin.

But yes, every few months at least, find a gravel lot or dirt road, engage 4x, drive about 50 feet. I'd do this for each mode (4Hi, 4Lo, lock up the rear, etc.) just to keep everything down there used to moving.

2. Jan 13, 2010 at 7:19 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Exactly, HARD HIGH TRACTION SURFACES are definintely a "NO NO" & I also wonder why someone would even have 4 wheel drive if its too much bother engaging a couple times a year . (maybe its just for snow & icy conditions) where the surface may be hard but traction is limited, anyway be safe & just restrict your 4x engagement to dirt surfaces & there IS a difference between 4Wheel drive & ALL WHEEL DRIVE (like some cars have)............:mudding:

3. Jan 13, 2010 at 8:41 PM
    HankB

HankB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hank
    near Chicago
    Vehicle:
    06 Preruner TRD Off Road
    bone stock
    Maybe they asked on this forum whether or not they should get a 4x4 and 9 out of 10 members said "Yes 4x4 4-ever!"

In my case, I just thought it would be cool to have (on my previous truck) and would help me get through anything I faced. And it did. But for the most part, I faced roads that did not require or even benefit from 4WD. For the few times we got snow that would have stopped a 2WD truck, it was awesome.

When I bought my Taco, I considered 4WD a little, but after practically never needing it on my previous truck, I decided I didn't need it. Since most of what I had used 4WD for was snow, I decided instead to get decent snow tires. Half way through our first winter with it, I am not the least bit disappointed. But now I have a similar issue with the locker. I was exercising it today. It didn't really want to go in, but after about a block on a straight road, it finally engaged. Then it did the same thing disengaging. After going in and out a couple times, it seemed to get better.

4. Jan 13, 2010 at 9:15 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Straight could be fine, ... but since the front tires can turn, the front wheels will travel more/ rotate more than the back. In 4WD, the front and rear axles are locked together... want to turn at the same speed. In dirt/ mud/ sand there is enough slippage to allow them to turn differently and not 'bind-up'.

AWD ('All Wheel Drive or Full Time 4WD) vehicles have a center differential which allows the front and back axles to turn at different speeds... and thus can be driven on dry pavement.

5. Jan 13, 2010 at 9:40 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    WOW.
    here we go again.
    Do you really believe that if this monthly running of the 4wd was bad, they would put in the manual????? Toyota is very smart, thats why they build these great trucks. It is not bad, it is good, why else would they tell you to do it.! It keeps components lubricated or just functional. It also familiarize's those that dont have a need for 4wd that often on how it works, what it sounds like, and how the truck reacts. I have done this on all my trucks since 1988. I have never had a drivetrain issue. As far as using it, if the conditions call for it I use it. For example, its been snowing for weeks here now, I have had my truck in 4wd for days at a time. Thats why i bought a 4wd, and sometimes i went from snow covered roads to patches of bare roads without taking it out of 4wd. The point is its ok to drive it a short distance on drive pavemnt to keep the drivetrain operational, just like greasing the zerk fittings, operating the 4wd system monthly keeps everthing in prime condition. Thats why its printed in the manual. and yes i have seen the drivetrain that exploded video, but i have only seen one out of millions of vehicles - hmmm?

6. Jan 13, 2010 at 10:19 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I put mine in 4WD in the rain (downpours) on the highway - going totally straight - to keep the system functional per the manual.

In the winter...if there's snow on the ground, I'm in 4WD. Period.

The snow might be patchy, but I'm still in 4WD. Sometimes I have to make a gradual turn that might be partially dry pavement. I always 'coast' through the turn and never get on the gas while in the turn. I'll wait until I'm straight again before putting applying throttle.

7. Jan 13, 2010 at 11:33 PM
    Pyrite FD

Pyrite FD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    09 DC TRD Off Road
    i just drove down my driveway in 4wd..should i take it to the dealer?

jk.

i put in 4wd all the time on dry pavement. i wouldnt want a truck that couldnt handle a straight section, hell even making turns. i couldnt maybe see if you had both diffs welded lincoln locker style....but with open diffs? big deal. even with a lsd in the rear..big deal. worse you should be doing on a half decent drivetrain is wasting some mileage off your tires when they are chirping around the corner.

best part the manual even says to do it. guess they should have put it in bold.

no offense, but did some you guys drive jeep liberties or something prior? i thought toyota was supposed to have the same tough and solid rep like some of the old chevies and jeeps had with strong drivetrains that took some real offroading ie not driving in snow or a mudpuddle but like real rock crawlin to snap something.

some of you make me question bout this toyota stuff if we are seriously worried about grenading the transfer case over 10 miles on a paved road.

8. Jan 13, 2010 at 11:41 PM
    DdayIsNear

DdayIsNear Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Crazy
    NW Jersey
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad
    All pro sliders
    i agree man, i dont feel the truck is doomed if you use 4wd on pavement, if its raining bad, and since i live in teh mts, and travel up hills hundreds of feet tall and windng, according to youguys 4wd is out the question because its hard pavement. i dont get it. really, saying that turning in 4hi or 4 low is bad, if i was towing a boat and in 4 lo, around a bend on flat pavement, around the park to the boat launch, your tellin me that i am ruining the tran. i find that hard to believe. would the correct procedure be to put it in neutral and have another truck push me....?

seriously, i wanna know, so i dont break my truck which is apparently more fragile than i thought.

9. Jan 14, 2010 at 2:57 AM
    JONNY TACO

JONNY TACO [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA.
    Vehicle:
    DARK METALLIC GRAY -DOUBLE CAB SHORT BED
    ADVANTAGE TONNEAU COVER,TOYOTA BED LINER, POP&LOCK TAILGATE LOCK, SIDE TUBES, WIFE IN PASSENGER SEAT
    IT EXPLODED AFTER DOING 70 MPH. I can see that; but what about if you drive in a straight line and never go over 55mph in 4x4 ?

10. Jan 14, 2010 at 3:01 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    I dunno, maybe that driving on pavement shit is only for 2nd gen. but I've had plenty of 4x4's & everyone of them reacted badly when 4x on dry pavement, & actually the Toyota truck is really a cousin to the jeep seeing how in late 40's early 50's seeing that Toyota motor co. took left over jeep & truck parts from a contract they had with the U.S. gov. & made one of their own. I'm not going to argue with anyone about the do's & don'ts. I implied earlier that I would'nt 4x on pavement & I stand by that, you guys do what you want......:mudding:

11. Jan 14, 2010 at 3:35 AM
    SkyHighTacoma

SkyHighTacoma Josh

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Brazoria County Texas
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB SR5 MGM
    ^^^ I agree with yall. I dont see how every now and then driving on the pavement in a straight or even semi-straight lines at a slow rate of speed will blow up your t-case. I can see it damaging parts if your turning sharply while giving it gas for multiple times or going to fast in high traction situations. But if your on a boat ramp and wanna use 4wd to be the safe side, I dont see how that can hurt it that bad. But I would try not to use it if possible on the pavement.

12. Jan 14, 2010 at 3:53 AM
    saf023

saf023 Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Coast
    Vehicle:
    2nd Gen TRD Sport DCSB 4X4
    I agree! I understand Toyota has a lot of smart engineers but I sometimes wonder what they are smoking...

13. Jan 14, 2010 at 4:24 AM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    No. Who said it was bad?

Not necessary, but nod bad.

14. Jan 14, 2010 at 6:59 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    There is a reason why everyone here suggests NOT using the truck in 4WD on dry pavement. Because if you're not experienced in how the system works...you can ruin things. You really have to know the in's & out's and ba careful while using it in 4WD on dry pavement.

Wasn't there a post on this forum somewhere about a guy who let his friend borrow his truck....and his friend had it in 4WD the whole time and it blew up the diff or t-case? It was a recent post...I just didn't have time to look for it.

That's a prime example.... (maybe someone will find it)

15. Jan 14, 2010 at 7:27 AM
    BSP4x4

BSP4x4 Guest

If the manual says to do it. there is a reason. You can do NO HARM to your 4x4 system as long as you are going under 55mph and go straight (While on dry pavement)

once a month a flip the 4x4 switch while on the highway (going 55 and in a straight line) and let it rip for 10 miles and shut it off. HOW CAN THIS DO ANY HARM?

16. Jan 14, 2010 at 7:31 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    I agree, the Toyota can take it... Chevy's and Ford's probably can't!

17. Jan 17, 2010 at 1:11 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    110010_f586650b9d7d13fdee6969db2007d446c9c736fa.jpg

Everything is better in FOUR WHEEL DRIVE!

18. Jan 17, 2010 at 7:11 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide

Bad is the general term im using if people are scared to do their monthy engagement of the 4wd, they think its bad.
    And if it wasn't necessary as you put it, why is it in the manual?

Products Discussed in

To Top