1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need Engineering Help

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by mar_ga_rita, May 20, 2009.

1. May 20, 2009 at 7:31 PM
    FlawedXJ

FlawedXJ mall crawlin', web wheelin', concrete cowboy

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    NorAla
    Vehicle:
    13 F150 FX4, 99 jeep xj, 04 msm miata
    I actually have a jeep now. Imagine that.
    just looked through my statics book. I agree that tension is the same throughout the cable.

2. May 20, 2009 at 9:32 PM
    jdkeller

jdkeller How many words can be fit in this s

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Offroad
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    Yea. And I believe to get the tension in Newtons you multiply that 60 pounds by .45 to get kilograms. Then multiply that by gravity which is 9.81. So you get a tension in all three cables of 267 Newtons.

3. May 21, 2009 at 4:16 AM
    mar_ga_rita

mar_ga_rita [OP] Head of the MASTERS CIRCLE

Member:
    New Orleans
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma SR5 PreRunner TRD
    BUG SHIELD BULL BAR OFF-ROAD LIGHTS 4-RUNNER FOG LIGHT SWITCH K&N EYE OF THE TIGER ON THE BACK GLASS TONNEAU COVER
    I was also thinking that too, but he told me it is a real life example, but didn't know what the friction was. So he is looking up the coefficient of friction for the pulley.

4. May 21, 2009 at 5:56 AM
    FlawedXJ

FlawedXJ mall crawlin', web wheelin', concrete cowboy

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    NorAla
    Vehicle:
    13 F150 FX4, 99 jeep xj, 04 msm miata
    I actually have a jeep now. Imagine that.
    If you don't know the friction, you can't determine the tension in the cable. There is no friction constant for a pulley

5. May 21, 2009 at 7:02 AM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    hmmm...in all the problems I've had, I don't think they ever expected you to do something like that. Have they even covered pulley friction.

He should tell his teacher that in the real world nobody cares about the friction in 3 pulleys pulling up a 60lb weight.

I've never done pulley friction. I imagine that it will be affected by the wrap around the pulley, but that will be the only effect that the geometry will have on the system.

6. May 21, 2009 at 7:22 AM
    epa4wd

epa4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eduardo
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR
    Clazzio Seat Covers OR Wheels 40% tint Side Steps KC Fog Lights
    I don't think he wants to take in consideration the pulley's friction, in order to calculate the friction in each pulley you would need to know the tension at both side of the pulley which is what are you looking for, for example for the pulley on the left you would need to know the tension of L2 and L3, but the tension if considering friction is unknown at least for L2 in that case. The angle is given (which is related to amount of cable in contact with the pulley) so covert 137.6 degrees to radians and therefore the coefficient of friction for that pulley is u = (1/(Angle in Radians))ln(L2/L3) if I remember correctly...

7. May 21, 2009 at 8:34 AM
    mar_ga_rita

Member:
    New Orleans
    Vehicle:
    BUG SHIELD BULL BAR OFF-ROAD LIGHTS 4-RUNNER FOG LIGHT SWITCH K&N EYE OF THE TIGER ON THE BACK GLASS TONNEAU COVER
    What it is.. he is working alongside a teacher for credit and this is one of the problems he gave him to do. It is from a consulting job the teacher is doing. It uses a boat crank to open a door mounted below. Pretty nutz and I stared at it for a good while and I dont remember going over it either.

8. May 21, 2009 at 8:40 AM
    Hotdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    Wet Okole Underwear
    wire rope generally has one of the highest safety factors. The only concern would be the effort required to crank open the door.

9. May 21, 2009 at 8:50 AM
    epa4wd

epa4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eduardo
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR
    Clazzio Seat Covers OR Wheels 40% tint Side Steps KC Fog Lights
    Then this a far more complex problem, the length of L1 is incorrect from the given information on the diagram, length of L2 is incorrect from the information in the diagram, even the length of L3 is wrong. Look at what is defined as the length of L3 which is given as 54", then look at the measurement in the right side says 38" . 54" is not equal to 38", the rest of the lengths you will see that they are wrong if you use the given information in the diagram and Pythagorean theorem. If this is a real life problem like stated above then there is a lack of information.

10. May 21, 2009 at 8:53 AM
    mar_ga_rita

Member:
    New Orleans
    Vehicle:
    yea I think thats why they are looking for the tension... I told him 1 crank + 1 big strong worker = enough power... lol

11. May 21, 2009 at 9:00 AM
    Hotdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    Wet Okole Underwear
    the pulleys really aren't going to matter too much. If they're really worried, then they should just act like the weight is 10lbs heavier.

12. May 21, 2009 at 9:10 AM
    mar_ga_rita

Member:
    New Orleans
    Vehicle:
    Yea he told me that it wasnt drawn to any sort of scale...just rough sketch in either autocad or paint lol

13. May 21, 2009 at 9:16 AM
    steelerfan7p

steelerfan7p My other car is a Bugatti

Member:
    First Name:
    Yes
    Fairmont, WV (1 Hour South of the City of Champi
    Vehicle:
    Non-TRD, Non-SR5, Non- Prerunner
    Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Metra IPod Adapter, AFE Pro Dry S Air Filter, I was added to the truck to make it better, so does that count as a Mod?
    If the crank is not moving, then it is a statics problem and there is no friction at all. And even if it is moving, it seems the friction would be practically negligible for the pulleys.

Products Discussed in

To Top