1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need help! 96 Tacoma and 2002 OEM head unit.

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Moco, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Feb 23, 2013 at 11:57 AM
    Moco

Moco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    NoVA
    Vehicle:
    96 Regular Cab 4x4 5spd
    TW,

I need some help. Please understand, I am completely inexperienced when it comes to car audio and wiring - I just want my truck to have a CD player without resorting to the turd merchants at Best Buy or some ghetto car audio place. So, I'm trying to mount an OEM CD player from an 02 Tacoma into my 96. The previous owner had an aftermarket head unit with a tape player installed. This is an ancient JVC model KS-RT35. Obviously the JVC doesn't have a CD player and I want a unit with a CD player.

So as it sits my radio looks like this, it looks like the person who previously installed this made some modifications to the wiring harness?:

[​IMG]

Here is the JVC pulled out of the console:

[​IMG]

How the wiring looks behind the unit:

[​IMG]

Another shot of the wiring to the unit for better perspective
    [​IMG]

The unit I'm trying to install looks like this. Physically the fit looks like no problem, but obviously the wiring is a different issue.

[​IMG]

Now this is my question: How do I adapt the wiring from the harness as it is now to fit the 02 head unit. Do I need to get one of these Toyota wiring harness adapters like the Metra brand wiring below and then cut and splice the adapter to the stock harness and then plug the adapter into the unit?

[​IMG]

Please advise.

Thanks.

Products Discussed in

To Top