1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

NEED HELP ASAP ON PAINTING CENTER CAPS!!

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by trdtaco10, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Nov 3, 2010 at 8:02 PM
    trdtaco10

trdtaco10 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fayetteville, NC
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD OR 4X4
    UWS toolbox, window tint, Bilstein 5100s on all four corners, black 16" TRD FJ wheels, 14" Shorty Antenna, Weathertech all weather floor liners, Satoshi Grill Mod, Rear leaf TSB, OME 885x's, Desert Racing UCAs, Icon 3 leaf AAL
    I painted a set of FJ TRD wheels today with duplicolor satin black and they turned out great but when i tried to paint my center caps they have this hazy whitish color on some parts of them. I used one coat of adhesive promotor and then tried 3 coats of the paint and then a coat of self etching primer and 2 more coats of paint and they still turned out the same way. Can anyone help??

2. Nov 3, 2010 at 8:07 PM
    k9cop116

k9cop116 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Southeast Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner DC...Black
    Painted Factory Alloys, 265 Terragrapplers, Whelen LED's in the foglight hole
    I had the same thing happen with duplicolor on my factory caps...I let them cure for a couple of days, then repainted them with rustoleum flat black....then put a couple coats of clear. Turned out great.

I dont know why the duplicolor did that.....I painted the wheels at the same time and they turned out perfect

3. Nov 3, 2010 at 8:12 PM
    trdtaco10

Member:
    Fayetteville, NC
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD OR 4X4
    UWS toolbox, window tint, Bilstein 5100s on all four corners, black 16" TRD FJ wheels, 14" Shorty Antenna, Weathertech all weather floor liners, Satoshi Grill Mod, Rear leaf TSB, OME 885x's, Desert Racing UCAs, Icon 3 leaf AAL
    OK. Thank goodness its not just me! lol. Did you use the duplicolor clear or another kind? and did you have to re-sand them?

4. Nov 3, 2010 at 8:21 PM
    k9cop116

k9cop116 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Southeast Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner DC...Black
    Painted Factory Alloys, 265 Terragrapplers, Whelen LED's in the foglight hole
    I used the duplicolor clear........I didnt sand..I was soooooo ready to be done with it I just said to hell with it. They had already baked in the hot Texas sun for 2 days, so I just shot the rustoleum over it.

5. Nov 3, 2010 at 8:25 PM
    trdtaco10

Member:
    Fayetteville, NC
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD OR 4X4
    Haha! Ok. Thanks for the help! It was driving me nuts. lol

6. Nov 3, 2010 at 9:27 PM
    BurritoJimmyFan

BurritoJimmyFan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Frisco, TX
    Vehicle:
    04 Ext Cab TRD
    Gray Wire Mod, DRL Mod, Deckplate Mod
    Will yall post pics of the painted rims? I was thinking about doing the same thing to mine. Actually, I was just going to paint the center caps black and see how it looks with black center caps and grey/charcoal rims.

Do you have to take the wheel off to remove the center caps?

7. Nov 3, 2010 at 9:32 PM
    trdtaco10

Member:
    Fayetteville, NC
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD OR 4X4
    I'm gonna post pics as soon as i get them complete and on the truck. And you do not have to take the wheel off. They just pop off.

8. Nov 3, 2010 at 9:50 PM
    mrp192

mrp192 REALLY!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Cheney WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma Dbl cab long bed.
    Hood Strusts, remote Start, truck came with Leveling kit and wheels.
    if you can get to a sand blaster i would blast then to take off all the paint then just paint them.. thats what i did with my rims and center caps and they turned out great!

Products Discussed in

To Top