1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need help deciding on Nerf bars

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by Chris1824, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Jul 6, 2012 at 8:37 AM
    Chris1824

Chris1824 [OP] Member

Member:
    Bountiful
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road SR5
    Intake, leveling kit, waiting for borla exhaust
    If anyone could give me some info on which nerf bars are good and which ones to stay away from.

I have been looking at N-Fab, Iron Cross HD bars, RBP, Smitty & Rhino.
    I like the Iron Cross so if anyone has info on if they are a good bar or out of the one I listed which would be the best.

2. Jul 6, 2012 at 11:47 AM
    masshole taco

masshole taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Big Daddy
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Sport
    Fox 2.5 C/O's Fox 2.0 rear shocks Total Chaos UCA Trifecta Tonneau Cover K&N FIPK Sirius Satellite Radio Toyota OEM roof rack Wet Okole Seat Covers Homer Taco Custom Grill w/ M1 Mesh and Toyota Emblem
    nfabs are good in terms of the overall look but I notice the ding and dent pretty easy..I plan on sanding mine down in the next few weeks and putting duplicolor bedliner on them.. they're just a basic black powder coat for now but NFAB's aren't bad. just my 2 cents

3. Aug 14, 2012 at 4:19 PM
    wagz502

wagz502 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wagz
    NE Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road
    Workin on it.....
    Check out Avid Off Road, they offer TW members 10% off and I've heard great things about them.

4. Aug 16, 2012 at 5:03 PM
    PhantomVirus

PhantomVirus Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    People's Republic of NJ
    Vehicle:
    2012 Super White TRD OffRoad Double Cab
    Don't steal my tailgate Mod, Hardwired Valentine1 Radar Detector, Smitty N-FAB Nerf Bars, Led lights (Maps, overhead & rear License Plate), Debadged, TRD rim center covers, Replaced Chrome Grill with OEM Super White, PlastiDipped Toyota Logo on Grill BLACK, Distinct Offroad Custom light bar
    I have the Smitty's and it looks like they are either counterfeit N-Fabs or N-Fabs are made like crap. I received mine and they were rusty already. The box said Made In China and you can tell.

My taco is more a commuter/mall queen vs. offroader and if I offroaded I am sure these would be torn up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

WP_000926_acb8c3bf1660ad054637a32a6a10734f66a2037e.jpg

5. Aug 16, 2012 at 6:45 PM
    JirafaBo

JirafaBo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bo
    Orlando
    Vehicle:
    '12 Black Access Cab TRD Sport
    I picked up the standard 3" tube nerf Smittybilts today for $151 total, including 3 year 4wheelparts warranty. I only have a 4x2 so I don't need them for anything more than looks. If they rust, ding, or flake within 3 years can return them. Can't beat that price.

6. Aug 16, 2012 at 6:55 PM
    OH-MAN

OH-MAN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Sunny Az.
    Vehicle:
    10 4X4 O.R. White
    TRD skid painted black,
    If you only want them for step bars or a little parking lot safety get the Avid or N-Fabs.
    If you want to park the truck on a rock with them get some weld on or frame mount bolt on quality bars.
    Just depends on the use you have in mind for them.

7. Aug 19, 2012 at 5:39 PM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    SmittyBuilt are not N-fabs.

I've been doing some research. and N-fab are US made, not sure about Smitty...probably China and it's why they cost less.

plus N-fab's are availale w/ a 3" main tube. looks real good and fills the space below the rocker well. not sure Smitty offers the 3"

btw, the Toyota "Predator" step tubes...pretty sure they are SmittyBuilt. (check the install PDF on both, you may agree)

8. Aug 19, 2012 at 5:55 PM
    JirafaBo

JirafaBo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bo
    Orlando
    Vehicle:
    '12 Black Access Cab TRD Sport
    Smittybilts are definitely made in China. Just peeled a "made in china" sticker off my set Thursday. Also, they are 3" but they don't have the drop steps, I just have the single tube nerfs.

9. Aug 24, 2012 at 6:41 AM
    MDI

MDI Rock the Red!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Alexandria, VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB TRD Sport (Black)
    18” XD Monsters, 275/65/18 Tires, Fab Fours Front & Rear Bumpers, Rigid Flood & Spot Pod Lights, RBP Nerf Bars, Back Flip G2 Tonneau, Pop 'n Lock, BLHM, Black Grill Emblem (DERP), Debadged, Bermuda Black Tail Lights & Third Light, AJT A/C Knobs
    How much do you have to spend? The RBP look pretty sharp IMO, but they are also fairly pricey. I also like the look of the Rhinos. Guess it comes down to what you need them for, the look you're going for, and how much ou want to spend.

10. Aug 24, 2012 at 6:45 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I've got a set of Hunter Stainless Steel bars and, after 5 years, they still look like they did when I first got them. If you live in an area where they salt the roads, I'd strongly consider stainless steel. I paid $330 for mine 5 years ago and they've held up great.

[​IMG]

11. Sep 10, 2012 at 3:55 PM
    macampos50

macampos50 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    san diego, ca
    Vehicle:
    new beast- 7-2012
    Bilstein 5100's all 4 corners, Drop in K&N, Interior LED, rear LED, reverse HID breaklights, turn signal LED and HID's by CSjumper2003, Cab Chop by Socalduckslayer, TC UCA's, wicked flow 13", ammo can mod, fog light mod, A little pastidip Everywhere Goals: AAL by 4WD, intake, pulleys? Spacers? maybe a power chip?
    wow, thanks! I almost bought them today because they came with a free light bar..
    http://www.truckcustomizers.com/products/smittybilt-street-bar-light-bar.html

12. Oct 2, 2012 at 2:29 PM
    wheelerkr2

wheelerkr2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail
    Just ordered some RBP's. Says they wont even ship until the 10th of october, will post pics when i get them on the truck!

13. Oct 2, 2012 at 2:55 PM
    TacoDell

TacoDell Truck ~n~ Tow

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '00 Tacoma SR5 4X
    Donahoe CO's, Deaver leaf paks, Lockright Locker, All Pro body armor ( sliders, front and rear bumpers ), All Pro under belly skids, Warn M8K w/Masterpull synthetic line, Dual Optima battery system, 4 ea LightForce Striker 170 offroad lights, 8 ea wired rock lights, and plenty more I'm sure
    nerf bar :confused:
    wutz 'dat do ? :notsure:

don't waste yer monies...
    get real sliders ;)

14. Oct 2, 2012 at 4:19 PM
    04surftaco

04surftaco Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Hertford, NC
    Vehicle:
    SurfTaco
    Can't claim anything, bought from Fish08 and leaving it like it sits. Perfect!
    I have the N-Fabs and really like them. I don't plan to do anything I need sliders for so they fit the bill well. My wife and little boy love the steps and it makes using the roof rack an easy task. Fit and Finish is very nice!

15. Oct 2, 2012 at 7:00 PM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    not everyone uses theit Tacoma to rock climb.

most who have nerf bars...step tubes...etc, do so for use as a step.

I bought a brand new OEM set of step tubes thinking it would look nice (and they do), and thinking they would be helpful for my wife & M-I-L to get in/out of the truck.

they don't help much for her so I took them off and I'm gonna sell them.

16. Oct 2, 2012 at 8:29 PM
    krob32

krob32 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Sierra Vista, AZ / Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM TRD Sport DCLB
    WeatherTec Digi Liners, AVS Bugflector II, TRD FJ SE Anthracite Rims, BF Goodrich AT KO2 265/75/16, AVS In-Channel Wind Deflectors, Extang Solid Fold, Pop & Lock, Color Match Grill Emblem (Anthracite), Plasti Dip Emblems, Tacoma Bed Mat, Tacoma Door Sill Protectors, ToyTec Ultimate Lift Kit, ICON UCAs, Wheeler's Progressive AAL, Wet Okoles, Sockmonkey 3rd Brake Light Cover, LED Hood/Bed Lighting w/ OTRATTW Switches, Famous Fabrication Sliders, Sockmonkey TRD Bed Decal, Proven Design 4x4 Mudflaps, BenWA's Rear Power Sliding Window, Jasper Off Road 6" Reverse LED Pod, ImMrYo Rear View Mirror Bracket, GrillCraft w/ Black Mesh and color matched Land Cruiser Emblem, LED Tail Lights, Badge Removal and Vinyl TRD/Tacoma Stickers, Bullaculla Trailer Harness Relocation.
    I purchased the 2 inch Smittybilts from Truck Customizers with nfab on the steps. No complaints other than they are slick when wet. Got sandpaper and bedliner for the steps.

[​IMG]

Inkedgenius85 likes this.
  17. Oct 4, 2012 at 8:45 AM
    wagz502

wagz502 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wagz
    NE Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road
    Workin on it.....
    I don't really need true sliders as I'm not planning any rock climbing or gnarly off roading, just a little mud and snow now and then.

18. Oct 4, 2012 at 9:21 AM
    TacoDell

TacoDell Truck ~n~ Tow

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '00 Tacoma SR5 4X
    Donahoe CO's, Deaver leaf paks, Lockright Locker, All Pro body armor ( sliders, front and rear bumpers ), All Pro under belly skids, Warn M8K w/Masterpull synthetic line, Dual Optima battery system, 4 ea LightForce Striker 170 offroad lights, 8 ea wired rock lights, and plenty more I'm sure
    ...ok

muh trail buddy had those the first trail we met on.
    It was a very easy trail...
    He was warned tho' that under the right circumstance
    his beauty bars would give.

Sure enough... as he attempted to crest a short hill climb...
    the drivers side caught the berm and nearly bent that tube in half.

just sayin'

do what pleases you.

19. Oct 5, 2012 at 6:24 PM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    I put on some Smittybilt Suresteps primarily to make it easier for my height-challenged better half to get in and out. Works perfect for that.

It is purely bolt-on , no drilling or cutting. Seemed pretty sturdy after installing.

Not true sliders by any means, but they held up pretty good during a 4-wheeling trip in the Death Valley area. When they absorbed impacts with rocks, they loosened up a bit and had to re-torque the bolts. They will do until I install some custom sliders.

20. Oct 5, 2012 at 10:20 PM
    wheelerkr2

wheelerkr2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail
    Well the bars came in fast, here are before and after pics. Debating whether to take off the stickers on the steps or not...

bars before (1 of 1).jpg
    bars after (1 of 1).jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top