1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need Help Deciding What I Want to Do With My Life :[

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by Viet2100, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Jul 7, 2010 at 8:39 AM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    Just a point... If you are saying "I hate school" ask yourself, your closest serious friends and your boss or parents "why?" Hear what they say - don't fight it. If they give you sophmoric answers, dig deeper (you know the why? why?)

What I mean is do you hate learning. If so, carve your tombstone now - their is no reason to go much further.

If you hate having to answer to someone else - better process that one now and find a solution - most all positions for dictators have been filled.

If you don't like hard work... etc, etc.

Where else does this trait show up and is it helping or hurting you? How can you move to a new mindset?

I am a true believer that everyone has the potential to be their greatest! Left to our own thoughts - most people fall short! I am also a believer that we have to learn how to navigate around obsticles and learn how to deal with life's challenges... the book, "The Road Less Traveled" comes to mind...

[​IMG]

2. Jul 7, 2010 at 8:47 AM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    I get these every morning... And... the morning is the most important part of your day - you set the pace for the most of the rest of the day.

3. Jul 7, 2010 at 9:50 AM
    gfiber

gfiber Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black TRD Sport Access Cab
    TRD sport pkg, Towing Pkg, Ham radio installation, bed lights, front 32 inch LED Bar behind the grill.
    Let see. I studied Vocational Automotive mechanics in High School during my Junior and Senior years, that was 1970. Then went to electronics school during the 1970's while working as an automotive mechanic, then went to work at a major amusement park as a rides maintenance mechanic year round, then to the Railroad for 6 years in the signal department working on defective equipment detectors and street crossing protection motion sensors until that position was abolished, got my FCC commerical license during this time. That job was abolished so went to work on two-way radio installs, repairs and marine radio and navigation equipment, Moved to Seattle and worked for a two way radio equipment manufacturer for 11 years, then to the WSDOT for 4 years as an electrician on two floating bridges, they were wired like a house mostly, then to Law Enforcement doing electronic surveillance work.

What ever you learn no one can take it away from you, also experience, experience experience no schooling can make up for it. Best advice do what you like to do. Getting up and going to work at a job you hate makes you miserable, just make sure you can live within your means though.

4. Jul 7, 2010 at 10:22 AM
    iSTIZO99

iSTIZO99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Jax, FL
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport 4x4 DC/SB
    Photography as a side hustle wouldn't be such a bad gig though. Wedding photographers, as one example, can make some scratch! Some of the prices that I've seen make me inspired to want to look into it; I just don't practice it enough to build a good skillset. I've seen some of your photos on here a long time ago (before I got my truck) and they looked awesome.

Anyway as far as what do companies need? Depends on what kind of company you're talking about. Isn't Lockheed Martin a relatively big dog in the Orlando area? They were one of the companies I would have seriously looked at next if I couldn't find something up here locally. Computer Science is definitely a good place to start especially if you're pretty good at thinking analytically. Do you like coding? Because I believe you'll be doing a ton of it in school. If you try it out and find that you don't really like the amount of programming involved...there's always engineering to fall back on, but then again I'm a little biased on this. :D

5. Jul 7, 2010 at 4:25 PM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    Not to distract - this is just my opinion...

Part time anything is a waste of time unless it is your hobby - can be good for taxes but not great for wealth creation. let me drive the point home:

Having 3 girlfriends is a hobby - Having one is a career! ;)

But really, find something that stirs your interests and your passion! I have been blessed with most every job I have had. How do you know when you have it? When you show up early. Wake up in the middle of the night to scribble or draw something that will help you, your employees or your customers (or your employer's customers). Can't sleep 'cause you want to implement an idea.

Once again OP, I will gift you tools if you want them. They can be used or brand new, I can accommodate either. I do this for a very selfish reason - I feel good when I help people towards pursuing their talents (I would have said God given talents but I know that may upset some).

And... just to clarify. When I say wealth creation, I include wealth such as good relationships, time with your loved ones, time to fish, etc! Good luck!

6. Jul 7, 2010 at 4:53 PM
    Mush Mouse

Mush Mouse Club Soda Not Seals

Member:
    First Name:
    mush
    where ever you want me to be
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5
    its a Toyota truck and that's all the modifications needed
  7. Jul 7, 2010 at 4:57 PM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    Well, that's Hollywood's take on it. If you want to really think about it, read some Milton Freedman! I am listening to "Free to Choose." It is a good read so far. It will make you think. Man working in his own interest works towards the interest of all or he is not rewarded.

8. Jul 7, 2010 at 5:01 PM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    I totally feel for where you're at man, i'm kinda there too. I have been going to college for 3yrs, and now I just don't know where I want to go. Ive been doing engineering, but now I'm hating it and school in general because of it. My parents push me to go forward and get a degree (I didnt want to go straight from HS to college) no matter what, but its really wearing on me. I feel like I need to do it for them because neither of them got a college degree and they dont want me to have the same thing happen to them. I feel like I need to do it, especially since they're helping financially, but I cant figure out what to do....
    My grades went from about 3.8 in HS, followed with around 3.5 the first 2 yrs of college but now their down in the 2. range this last year due to failing a couple math and physics classes. :/
    SO, im stuck with where to go. I love doing the Fabrication thing I have going right now, and feel like I'm really good at it too, so that makes getting a degree in something I don't have a passion for that much harder. I'm pretty stuck on things....

9. Jul 7, 2010 at 5:07 PM
    Mush Mouse

Mush Mouse Club Soda Not Seals

Member:
    First Name:
    mush
    where ever you want me to be
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5
    its a Toyota truck and that's all the modifications needed
  10. Jul 7, 2010 at 5:09 PM
    BradleyScottETC

BradleyScottETC Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Lake County, FL
    Vehicle:
    10 4.0 AC 4x4
    If you're interested in HVAC, Plumbing, or Pipe Fitting, I am in Orlando's local 803 of the UA, I could get you applied for membership.

11. Jul 7, 2010 at 5:09 PM
    AndrewFalk

AndrewFalk Science!

Member:
    The North East
    Vehicle:
    2010 5 speed 5 lug
    :)
    I was in the same boat as you my friend. I started college and have changed my major 3 times and my school once. I originally went to the big time state University, but they really didn't have any programs that interested me. So now I'm attending a community college (which is REALLY easy for me) but I am taking mechanical engineering with a machinist certification. I feel like I finally found something I really love doing. I have always been technical, and I am THE guy that my friends talk to when they need help fixing or building anything. I'm working as a machinist right now, and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I feel like my life is really starting to come together the way I had hoped. Some day I hope to be running my own shop...most likely producing high end paintball markers and equipment. National-level tournament paintball is my life. :)

I know, I really didn't give you any actual advice, but I just wanted to let you know that when the time is right, you will know what you want to do. I just happened to get into the right place at the right time.

12. Jul 7, 2010 at 6:54 PM
    Viet2100

Viet2100 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Viet
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius 4T
    Thanks for sharing your life decisions and what you guys have been through. It makes me feel a bit better, but what you guys are saying about doing what I really want to do encourages me to finish school and get the nice little paper that says I got a degree. I cannot emphasize how thankful I am right now.

Just like some of you, I am the "go to guy" to my friends and family. Some have even called me the renaissance man. But I can't accept that title. I can do construction (built a house from cement, wood, electrical, roofing & paint), fix any issues with any computers or small electronics, fix/mod cars with problems that don't require a $50k machine... I've done it. But I cannot say I enjoyed all of them, except computers. When I touch one, I feel like it is my play ground. I guess I just answered my own question, huh?

13. Jul 7, 2010 at 9:16 PM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    "Little Paper" = Keys to many doors. I am not saying it is everything but if you are close to getting one - Get it. My first VP job was due to the fact that the CEO got a "Little Paper" from the same school. It may not be fair but $125,000 base at age 29 wasn't bad for merely having a piece of paper. I too am that mechanically inclined fix it guy. They used to call me MacGyver at many of my jobs. I would have never got that 'Little Paper' if not for hangin' with smarter guys than myself.

14. Jul 7, 2010 at 9:47 PM
    jw72

jw72 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    So Cal
    Stay in school and get a degree, any degree. College wasn't really meant to train you for specific profession. It was meant to bring your intellect to full potential.

15. Jul 7, 2010 at 9:58 PM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    And to socialize you to work with others that are vastly different than you! :)

16. Jul 7, 2010 at 10:23 PM
    DSully72

DSully72 2WD Problems

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Appling, GA
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner TRD Off Road
    Viet2100, military is ALWAYS a great path to go. ESPECIALLY if you dont know what you want to do. If you're talking about the best branch to join for benefits with the best facilities on base, go Air Force... With the technical skills they teach you, they have no choice but to give you the best because they know that you can leave the USAF and go get a better paying job outside of the military. Whether you stay in or not is up to you. It's all what kind of person you are. But like i said, its a great way to go into a career field you are good at or are interested in and learn more about it so when you leave you can get an even better paying job. On top of that, the military turns boys to men, yes, even the "chair force". I do have my Air Force pride, but I respect any man or woman in uniform, no matter what branch they belong to. With few exceptions (theres always slackers no matter what), they are people who work hard to serve this great country and defend the US Constitution. I would reccomend the military to anyone who does not know what they want to do in life or need help being pointed in a certain direction. but even if you dont choose the military, good luck in whatever you decide to do in life. once you pick something, go after it, never give up, and give it all you've got.

17. Jul 7, 2010 at 10:24 PM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    Two votes from me but as long as you are close to getting a degree, go in as an officer! :)

18. Jul 7, 2010 at 11:11 PM
    jw72

jw72 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    So Cal
    HB murphy is 100 percent correct! On all his post. Finish the degree, Period.
    Then serve if you want to.

19. Jul 7, 2010 at 11:17 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    LOL well then I'm forever screwed because I'm not a morning person.

20. Jul 8, 2010 at 2:44 AM
    iSTIZO99

iSTIZO99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Jax, FL
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport 4x4 DC/SB
    You got it man...now just get to crackin! Everything else will fall into place.

HBMurphy - you're like the resident Obi Wan, full of good advice. I need to read some of those books you've been reading. Gotta keep the saw sharp.

To Top