1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need help deciding

Discussion in '1st Gen Tacoma Marketplace (1995-2004)' started by Rackster, May 11, 2012.

1. May 11, 2012 at 5:33 PM
    Rackster

Rackster [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    '04 E/cab 4x4 2.7 Auto SR5
    Hello folks,

I've been shopping around for a used Tacoma. I am hoping to get some input here on the pros/cons of owning a 1st Gen over a 2nd Gen Tacoma. Also, what are some of things to look for/avoid with the truck (specific items Tacoma owners have come to know about: areas that might be prone to a leak, creaks, groans, etc.). Any notable recalls?

I'll do a detailed Search here, especially on the items the members feel are the more important to watch for. Any help to dial in on a vehicle is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Kevin

2. May 11, 2012 at 5:36 PM
    neontrail

neontrail ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2004 NISSAN XTERRA XE/SE
    De-badged, Tint 20%, Blue 48 LED dome-light, .......
    HellO Kevin... Welcome to the forum!

What is your budget ?

3. May 11, 2012 at 5:45 PM
    Rackster

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    Hello Neon,

I'm trying to stay below $15K, but of course, mileage and features plus the vehicle condition have a lot to do with that. I'd say that most the vehicles I've been sizing up have been between $12-15K, under 100K miles and Prerunner/4x4 Extracabs.

Kevin

4. May 11, 2012 at 5:46 PM
    Highland Logan

Highland Logan UBIQUE

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2011 Black AC TRD Off Road w/ factory tow pkg
    Welcome to Tacoma World from Nova Scotia.

Frank

5. May 11, 2012 at 5:55 PM
    Rackster

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the Welcome folks! I was surprised to get a quick response and got right to business and forgot my manners.

Kevin

6. May 11, 2012 at 6:35 PM
    Rackster

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    Certified would be good, but most vehicles I'm researching are either too old or with higher miles. But you never know...

I'd prefer a PreRunner: right stance but a 4X2. In the Northeast, mostly 4X4s for the winter months. The Toyota dealers here can't even order PreRunners. Closest is Maryland I'm told. So I have used broad Searches on Use Car websites to draw in the PreRunners into the mix. That said, 4x4 for the winter isn't a bad thing, but I'm after better FE than the V6s are delivering.

So, I've concentrated most of my looking on I4s 2004 and older. I think that the 2nd gen appeals to me when it comes to the bed configuration as it looks like a 4x8 sheet of ply will slide between the rear wheel wells. Looks of either generation work for me, but I suppose the 2005 and newer Tacomas offer a little more elbow room. But my family is still small, so the 1st gen seems to workout just fine.

I've driven a few 1st gen vehicles of late, V6s and I4s. Power difference is noticable, but not starkly different. Both seem to ride the same: weight is probably pretty even. A couple of the vehicles smell musty inside, so I wonder about leaks in the cabin. I didn't see any noticable staining, but so I thought I'd post here to see what shakes out. So with that said, I'll turn it back over to the Tacoma owners to give some pros/cons about the different generation vehicles.

Thanks again!

Kevin

To Top