1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need help diagnosing this noise/'10 Taco 4X4

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 10taco, May 30, 2010.

1. May 30, 2010 at 6:32 AM
    10taco

10taco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '10 4WD reg cab
    fog lights (with OEM switch), skid plate, stainless exhaust tip, Curt receiver hitch, Exact-Fit seat covers, AFE air filter, intermittant wipers, EGR in-channel vent visors, door sill protectors, Autocraft Platinum AGM battery.
    I've got a '10 Tacoma reg cab 4X4 4cyl man trans with AC. Every time I start to engage the AC there is a loud grinding noise from under the hood, sounds like the AC compressor starting to rotate. Noise only lasts a second then stops but it's quite loud, even shakes the truck slightly. AC works fine after that. Truck has 3700 miles on it. Obviously I'm gonna consult the dealer (reluctantly; I don't want them doing any other 'recall' work on it while it's there, such as trimming my gas pedal or floormats, etc) but I'm wondering if any other Taco owner have experienced this situation. If so, what was the diagnosis & fix? Thanks in advance. ;)

2. May 30, 2010 at 6:49 AM
    oldtacomaguy

oldtacomaguy four forty four

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SE Conn.
    Vehicle:
    08 SR-5 4WD Impulse Red Pearl
    Alpine deck and amp, Polk speakers front and rear, Kenwood subwoofer, windows tinted to 20%, Sockmonkey decals, TSB, Eibach springs and Bilstein 5100's
    Haven't heard of that before, but it sounds like the compressor bearings are bad. Dealer will probably replace it. Tell them to leave your gas pedal alone.

3. May 30, 2010 at 12:59 PM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    My previous vehicle was like that when new. Eleven years and 180,000 miles and it never had a problem...just made a little crunch noise when the A/C engaged for the first time of the day.

4. May 30, 2010 at 1:13 PM
    TacoCat

TacoCat Look away, I'm hideous!

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny-5
    Chantilly, VA
    Vehicle:
    Silver 2010 OR
    Mine just did this on Friday. I was leaving work and turned on the A/C. I heard that exact noise for about a second then it disappeared. No other strange noises, no problems with the A/C either from what I can tell. I tried it again to see if it would do it, but nothing. And no problems since. If it continues I'll take it in but till then not too worried about it.

To Top