1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Which wiring bundles needed for new radio?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by jacoblb, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Mar 8, 2018 at 5:50 PM
    jacoblb

jacoblb [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2010 AC 2.7L
    I’m planning on getting the Pioneer MVH-1400NEX though crutchfield. I’m a bit confused about what accessories I need. I plan to get the Scosche dash kit. I’ve both that and the metra in person and I liked the Scosche better. Where I’m confused is the wiring bundles. I just want to keep steering wheel controls. I have a 2010 Sr5 non-jbl. I think I don’t need the idata maestro. Anyone know which addon I need to get to retain stock functionality? I did add the Bluetooth controls to the steering wheel as well. Thanks!

2. Jan 9, 2020 at 1:09 PM
    TacoTuesday!!

TacoTuesday!! Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '10 Metallic Gray 4.0 V6 4x4 DCLB
    6 in Rough Country Lift, Body Armor Front and Rear Steel Bumpers, Spare Swingarm, Smittybuilt X2O Winch, ProComp rims on 35"s, Bilstein 5100 shocks, Tuff Country UCA's, Wheeler's Off-Road multiple leaf add-a-leafs, BlackOak LED fogs, BlackOak LED backup lights, Rough Country curved light bar, Yakima Roof Racks, Morimoto Projector Headlight conversion with Halos, smoked tail lights, Grill Raptor lights, Custom Grill with Tacoma lettering, Studded Fender Flares, Bedrail quickgrips, Diamondback bed topper, VIAIR onboard air, Train horn, Viper remote start alarm system, Katskinz leather interior, 2x12” JBL subs, and more
    Hey, did you end up installing the pioneer unit? I just purchased the same model and was wondering which adaptors I will need for the install (to avoid chopping the factory wire harness)

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
  3. Jan 9, 2020 at 1:21 PM
    jacoblb

Member:
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2010 AC 2.7L
    I did but I opted for the crutch field plug and play wiring. They’ll mate up the radio wiring to a plug that matched the factory harness. It was only like $25 extra. Maybe contact them to see if you can get one. Otherwise you’ll need to cut your factory plugs and hand solder the wires into the harness that comes for the radio.

4. Jan 9, 2020 at 1:33 PM
    TacoTuesday!!

Member:
    Vehicle:
    6 in Rough Country Lift, Body Armor Front and Rear Steel Bumpers, Spare Swingarm, Smittybuilt X2O Winch, ProComp rims on 35"s, Bilstein 5100 shocks, Tuff Country UCA's, Wheeler's Off-Road multiple leaf add-a-leafs, BlackOak LED fogs, BlackOak LED backup lights, Rough Country curved light bar, Yakima Roof Racks, Morimoto Projector Headlight conversion with Halos, smoked tail lights, Grill Raptor lights, Custom Grill with Tacoma lettering, Studded Fender Flares, Bedrail quickgrips, Diamondback bed topper, VIAIR onboard air, Train horn, Viper remote start alarm system, Katskinz leather interior, 2x12” JBL subs, and more
    Nice!! So was it pretty much just plug and play with the Crutchfield adaptor harness?

And did you install the head unit without the idatalink maestro? From what I've read it seems like that's mainly just to retain steering wheel controls which isn't too important for me

5. Jan 9, 2020 at 1:42 PM
    jacoblb

Member:
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2010 AC 2.7L
    Yeah what they do pretty much is custom wire the radio pigtail into sockets that fit your factory plugs.

I did go with the idatalink. It’s cool bc you can see vehicle stats on the radio, like temp, A/F, TPMS. But maybe wasn’t worth the extra money. You can keep steering controls with a cheaper adapter. I’m pretty much helpless without my steering controls. I added the Bluetooth controls as well as I only had the volume initially.

6. Jan 9, 2020 at 2:18 PM
    TacoTuesday!!

Member:
    Vehicle:
    That's pretty cool about the extra stats. So the steering controls are for phone calls right? What else do the Bluetooth controls do? Haha I never use those cause the Toyota computer lady and I don't get along :D

7. Jan 9, 2020 at 2:37 PM
    jacoblb

Member:
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2010 AC 2.7L
    Yeah on the left you can turn the volume up/down, skip/repeat, source. On the right you have pick up/hang up, voice command. The voice command works well with Siri if you plan to use CarPlay. You can use it to navigate if you use Apple Maps or change the station if using Apple Music. Siri support for 3rd party apps is coming eventually. You can hit the button and say “call someone” or “text someone” and dictate a message. It’s pretty nice tbh.

I’m sure a lot of those features also work on android auto.

8. Jan 9, 2020 at 2:42 PM
    jacoblb

Member:
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2010 AC 2.7L
    It’s def a nice set. I wish the display was larger. My buddy has a wireless pioneer receiver and it syncs instantly so I wish I had that, but I didn’t know I needed it until I’d seen his. I do like that the display is all glass.

9. Jan 9, 2020 at 2:51 PM
    TacoTuesday!!

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Ohhhhh damn, that's legit. So it sounds like once you install the aftermarket head unit, voice command integrates with Siri on Apple CarPlay through the Pioneer unit instead of the crappy know-nothing Toyota lady?

What's the difference between using CarPlay vs the wireless pioneer receiver?

check this out...10.1" screen. *only $1200 haha!
    https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/NEX/DMH-WT8600NEX

10. Jan 9, 2020 at 2:55 PM
    TacoTuesday!!

Member:
    Vehicle:
    is CarPlay not wireless through Bluetooth? please don't tell me they make you connect your phone to a USB to use it every time...

11. Jan 9, 2020 at 3:31 PM
    jacoblb

Member:
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2010 AC 2.7L
    Unless you use CarPlay this receiver is going to be relatively featureless. You could listen to the radio and make Bluetooth calls. You could also connect something via usb like an iPod to listen to, but might as well connect your phone at that point.

I’m guessing you aren’t on Android? I don’t have any experience with that anyway.

You do have to plug it in to use CarPlay. There are newer ones that connect wirelessly. They aren’t the same form factor as the 1400 though. So it’s like a recessed screen with buttons on the bottom. I’m not a huge fan. That 10” screen looks good. I’d def be interested once they offer one with wireless CarPlay.

12. Jan 9, 2020 at 3:41 PM
    jacoblb

Member:
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2010 AC 2.7L
    Nvm. That new one is wireless too. I might have to upgrade.

13. Jan 9, 2020 at 8:05 PM
    TacoTuesday!!

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I see what you mean that the newer units have CarPlay but connect wirelessly whereas this unit's CarPlay is restricted to USB only.

Got an iPhone but was hoping to be able to play music wirelessly through Bluetooth...the 1400 is sleek though, even if it requires plugging phone in

14. Jan 10, 2020 at 2:31 PM
    TacoTuesday!!

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Was reading on Amazon that some users have been able to play music through Bluetooth without connecting the USB cable... Have you had any luck with that?

15. Jun 12, 2020 at 1:53 PM
    Arisian

Arisian Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Gray Tacom SR5
    none yet!
    Hi there! Im thinking of going this way as well. Im curious if you wouldn't mind showing me how close you can get the 10 inch unit to your console. Ive see a couple other of the 10" that were out pretty far. I'd love to see your setup and ask you a few more questions as I explore this option!

Hope all is well!

16. Jun 16, 2020 at 10:56 PM
    JR SLASH 33

JR SLASH 33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Santa Barbara CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma 2wd TRD Off Road
    Morel Virtus 603 3 Way Components in front JL RD900/5 5 Channel Amp in 3 Channel Bridged Mode (Front + Sub) Morel 6.5" Maximo Ultra Coax Speakers in Rear Doors JL MX280/4 4 Channel Amp in 2 Channel Bridged Mode (Rear) JL Stealthbox with 2 10" W1V3-4 Subwoofers Method Race Wheels 17x8.5" Baja Designs LED SAE Fog Lights GTR Lighting Ultra 2.0 LED Headlights
    Here's the Pioneer WT7600 NEX 9.1"
    The display is amazing compared to ATM display lookin double dins..
    This ones $1000, I use wireless Android Auto with a Pixel 3xl. Google Maps supports pinch to zoom, steering wheel controls use google assistant. Love it so far, only complaint so far is an audible fan noise from the head unit.

Snapchat-1091611085.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top