1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need Help Getting Out Mouse Nest ABOVE Cabin Filter

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Polaris, May 9, 2011.

1. May 9, 2011 at 12:26 PM
    Polaris

Polaris [OP] New Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5
    Ok, I've searched on here, and other people have had this problem, but no one tells you how to actually remove the nest.:eek: Is their a fairly simple way to do this, or I do I need to take this to the dealer? I don't have a garage, very rural area. No pavement, no decent lighting, except the sun (when it decides to come out here.) The opening where the cabin air filter goes is too small for me to get my hand in there and get it out, nor can I get a shop vac in there. Is there access from inside the engine compartment or somewhere else? This is my second nest in a year (first one removed by a shop, but of course...they came back) and I shoved some steel mesh around the fresh air intake cover, but either they are going around that or they are getting in somewhere else. First thing I need to do is remove the freakin' nest.
    Thanks.

2. Nov 24, 2012 at 12:23 PM
    Upstate NY

Upstate NY Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Hudson Falls
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Access Cab
    LT265/75 R16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs WeatherTech hood guard WeatherTech side window deflectors Toyota bed mat Alabama Crimson Tide hitch cover
    I had the same issue with my 2003 TRD! I could not figure out how to get it out either! I eventually traded (recently). The smell was awful on humid days! I had kept my truck parked outside the garage and field mice moved in! Same with my wife's RAV4. We keep both vehicles in the garage now and that seems to be the key. I wish I could help you though! The rodents are getting in there somehow. It's just a matter of finding the entry point and installing hardware cloth to block it I guess.

3. Nov 24, 2012 at 12:39 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    We pull the blower motor and pull cowl panel and work from both directions.
    Sometimes they play spin the wheel and end up in 3 or 4 pieces stuck between the blades.

4. Nov 25, 2012 at 4:40 AM
    Upstate NY

Upstate NY Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Hudson Falls
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Access Cab
    LT265/75 R16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs WeatherTech hood guard WeatherTech side window deflectors Toyota bed mat Alabama Crimson Tide hitch cover
    I also pulled the blower motor from my 2003 and cleaned it out. Pretty easy to do, BUT, it still didn't solve the issue of mice getting into the vehicle in the first place. I even had nests in my frame as well. I suppose they met their demise when I had the frame spray recall completed though. The bad part was when one mouse (or more) died up in the vent housing somewhere! I just couldn't get at it. I even considered getting one of those flexible cameras and a mechanics grabber to reach it! The manager of the Toyota shop stated that the dash would have to be pulled! No way! I was glad to get rid of it last summer when I did!

5. Nov 25, 2012 at 5:06 AM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    Sometimes it gets that bad. I had one that built a nest in three places. In the roof, floor, and dash. It was covered by her insurance but the bill was thousands. I gut the complete interior to bare metal and had a company come in and disinfect the car for urin and poop. I had to wear a respirator. The whole shop smelled. Mike Rowe of dirty jobs would of liked that one.

Like I've said before. Unless the cause is fixed the problem will return.

Products Discussed in

To Top