1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need Help. Got a used iMac, WTF is a keychain?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by TacoTaro, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Aug 7, 2011 at 3:59 PM
    TacoTaro

TacoTaro [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    04 DC 4x4
    King Coilovers, Light Racing UCA, OME Dakar leafs w/ extra leaf and SB10" Bilstein 7100's and a U-bolt flip. 4.56's, eLocker rear, ARB front, Marlin rear bumper, ARB Bull Bar w/ Warn M8000. BAMF Sliders. Manual hub conversion with functioning ABS. Tundra front brakes. Manual hub conversion with functioning ABS. SCS F-5's w/ 255/85 Toyo MT's
    So I got this used iMac from a relative that passed on. It's kinda old and slow but it works and it was free so I'm not complaining too much. I think it's from 2006 and has the bigger screen.

This thing keeps asking me for a keychain. What is a keychain? It looks like a password, but if I click cancel nothing happens. Can I get it to stop asking me for the keychain? It is getting annoying because it asks every few minutes.

And this thing doesn't work with my iPod. Says the OS is too old to work with the new itunes. So what are my options? Buy the new OS?

2. Aug 7, 2011 at 4:01 PM
    BradleyScottETC

BradleyScottETC Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Lake County, FL
    Vehicle:
    10 4.0 AC 4x4
    IIRC when it is talking about "Keychain" it is referring to a setting that allows the iMac to remember your passwords / personal info so when you're filling out fields online it autofills the information for you instead of you having to type out your address and things like that out all the time when you're buying things online and whatnot.

3. Aug 7, 2011 at 4:02 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    as far as I know the keychain saves all the passwords you have used in the past for things like wifi connections. It is required to enter the password to access the keychain.

what OS does it have?

4. Aug 7, 2011 at 4:18 PM
    TacoTaro

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    04 DC 4x4
    King Coilovers, Light Racing UCA, OME Dakar leafs w/ extra leaf and SB10" Bilstein 7100's and a U-bolt flip. 4.56's, eLocker rear, ARB front, Marlin rear bumper, ARB Bull Bar w/ Warn M8000. BAMF Sliders. Manual hub conversion with functioning ABS. Tundra front brakes. Manual hub conversion with functioning ABS. SCS F-5's w/ 255/85 Toyo MT's
    Says Mac OS X Version 10.4.11

Is there a way I can reset the keychain or just make it go away.

5. Aug 7, 2011 at 4:38 PM
    BradleyScottETC

BradleyScottETC Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Lake County, FL
    Vehicle:
    10 4.0 AC 4x4
    Go to Applications>Utilities>Keychain Access

6. Aug 7, 2011 at 4:40 PM
    Taco me elmo

Taco me elmo Here, Eat some paint. Drink some Bleach.

Member:
    First Name:
    Tophat bobcat
    North of South, East of West
    Vehicle:
    Slow polished TuRD
    Anti theft 5-Speed
    Get a hold of the Snow Leopard box set from Amazon or something, wipe the drive and install the box set. DONE!.

Thats the most you can do to the machine because of its age.

7. Aug 7, 2011 at 4:48 PM
    TacoTaro

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    04 DC 4x4
    OK! That helped and I was able to unlock it. It hasn't asked me for it since.

On the OS...

We were typing at the same time. Is it the snow leopard for $35? I also see a box set for $190. Do I need that one? I'm not interested in spending almost $200 just to use my ipod.

8. Aug 7, 2011 at 5:20 PM
    TacoTaro

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    04 DC 4x4
    I was just told by Apple I can't run anything newer than 10.5 with my iMac because it's running the older hardware. So 10.6 and newer won't work.

They said 10.5 should work will my ipod

9. Aug 7, 2011 at 5:28 PM
    Taco me elmo

Taco me elmo Here, Eat some paint. Drink some Bleach.

Member:
    First Name:
    Tophat bobcat
    North of South, East of West
    Vehicle:
    Slow polished TuRD
    Anti theft 5-Speed
    yeah but if you just buy 10.5 snow leopard as a stand alone you may encounter an issue with updating. you can always install fresh but have no ilife stuff. they can be repurchased for $20 each on the mac app store so really no big deal.

10. Aug 7, 2011 at 6:52 PM
    myname150

myname150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Okay if apple is saying your hardware is too old, my guess is this is a PowerPC Mac.

Macintosh OS X 10.5.X is the last Mac OS to officially support the PowerPC processor. There are unsupported ways of getting Mac OS X 10.6.X (Snow Leopard) on older PowerPC processors I think, but I wouldn't recommend that.

From Keychain's Help:

"About Keychain Access
    You can use Keychain Access to reduce the number of passwords you have to keep track of. Keychain Access can store passwords for applications, servers, and websites, cryptographic keys, or even sensitive information unrelated to your computer, such as credit card numbers or personal identification numbers (PINs) for bank accounts.

When you connect to a network server, open an email account, or access any password-protected item that create a keychain, Keychains can provide the password so you don’t have to type it.

An account starts with a single “login” keychain, which is your default keychain. It is created automatically the first time you log in to your Mac OS X user account and has the same password as your account. This keychain is unlocked automatically when you log in to your account.

You can create new keychains to store passwords for different purposes (for example, one for work and one for online shopping), or you can make a copy of a keychain to take with you to other computers.

Keychains can be accessible to just a single user, or shared with the other users of the computer."

As for your iPod, the latest version of iTunes 10.4 supports Mac OS X Leopard, and since this is a used Mac, I'd check if the previous owner left his password on there and enabled. If they did and they didn't give you the "root" password then I'd go ahead and back up any files you already put on there, and install a clean version of Mac OS X Leopard. This is because when ever you try to make changes to your system (be it installing new software or changing system preferences) Mac OS X usually asks for the root password and with out it, you can't make those changes. Look at the screenshot I have attached, that is an example of what I'm talking about concerning the root password. The way I have my Mac set up is that every setting on "System Preferences" requires it to be unlocked, thus requiring my password. You'll see a similar prompt to that when you try to install new software.

If you have anymore computer related or Mac related questions feel free to PM me :D

Screen Shot 2011-08-07 at 8.45.46 PM.jpg

11. Aug 8, 2011 at 6:20 PM
    TacoTaro

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    04 DC 4x4
    Thanks for all your help. I'm sure I know what to do now but I need to sleep on it.

I'm now debating the purchase of the new OS. Seams like a lot of money to spend on an old computer. It already runs kinda slow during regular web browsing. I don't game or do anything fancy. Mostly web browsing and playing with pictures.

My other computer is a 3.5 year old HP laptop with a fried hard drive. So that would be some money to fix. It won't even boot up anymore.

Keep in my the more I spend on my computer the less I have to spend on Trucks, Bikes, and Beer. It all about priorities. I'm going to sleep on it, and that may take a few days.

Products Discussed in

To Top