1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

need help locating engine noise

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by tphunt, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Aug 3, 2015 at 7:11 PM
    tphunt

tphunt [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    96 tacoma xtra 2.7
    nothing yet
    i recently purchase a 96 tacoma xtra 2.7 auto 4x4 with 73k original miles. have done all the routine tune ups. have searched threads for 2 wks looking for a clue to my (possible) issue. i have a (squeak, whine, dry bearing sound, gravel in the rotor) sound coming out the front of my engine. not super loud but noticeable. heard better when standing in front listening through the grill, cant hear it at all when looking down on it. i have disconnected all drive belts to verify origin. can also be heard when taking off the oil filler while running. i have turned wrenchs for years on all sorts of equipment but this one has me puzzled. seems to be mid engine around the timing chain area. there is no chain slap, valve tick or piston slap at all in this motor. going to attach a oil guage this week to verify pressure. maybe a clogged oil journal? not real familiar with this engine, is the chain whirling noise normal? sounds exactly like a dry idler. any input would be great. tried to video but doesnt reproduce accurately.

2. Aug 4, 2015 at 5:21 AM
    DrZ

DrZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    96 2.4L 5-speed
    The 2.7L 3RZ-FE has balance shafts the are driven by a second chain inside the timing chain cover. I'm not familiar with the 2.7, so I can't tell you what it's supposed to sound like or if that's what you're hearing.

Go to this thread and scroll down for the links to download a factory service manual.
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...-thread-compiled-list-of-helpful-links.95271/

You can familiarize yourself with the parts in the area where you hear the sound from the diagrams in the manual.

Products Discussed in

To Top