1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need help on buying TPMS

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by coldinupstateny, May 12, 2011.

1. May 12, 2011 at 5:43 PM
    coldinupstateny

coldinupstateny [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester -NewYork
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner TRD Sport SR5
    Hi everyone. I 'll need some help here. I have a 2010 Pre-Runner with a 16" steel wheel + TMPS . I just bought a set of 17" sport alloy TRD from 1 of our member here. My question is Will my TPMS transfer to the 17" wheel oK ? I call and the stealer want over 100 bucks per tire. I check on Ebay and there is plenty of used for over 100$ a set of 4 or 250$ brand new set of 4. Should it work? Is there any special code or part number to buy. Thanks for all your help.:confused:

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. May 12, 2011 at 5:52 PM
    RLDTACO

RLDTACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Houston Tx.
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCLB PreRunner SR5
    Debadged,Tailgate theft mod,Extra D-rings,OEM bed mat,TRD exhaust, 5100 Billys@ 4 corners set@ 0 with Eibach springs, rear TSB springs.N-Fab tube Steps. TRD FJ SE wheels and Michelin LTX A/T 2's
    I used the 16" steel wheel TMPS on my TRD FJ wheels. Discount Tire rotated the sensors 180 degrees and installed in my new wheels. I have about 3000 miles and no problems. You just need to tell tire shops they are rotated so they won't damage when breaking down tire. You can also buy stap kit and mount your sensors on your new wheels. Straps are about $50.00 for set. Hope this helps.

3. May 12, 2011 at 7:06 PM
    boatswain

boatswain Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    carl
    palmerton,PA.
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Sport access cab, magnetic grey metallic.
    have a universal strap kit that came from revolution supply. think it was around $70. I didn't use it yet, but for the time being the sensors are working nicely inside a pipe bomb. if you want the sensors to do what they are designed for,look into the strap kit.

4. May 12, 2011 at 7:23 PM
    coldinupstateny

coldinupstateny [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester -NewYork
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner TRD Sport SR5
    Thanks guys for all the info. BTW what is the strap kit and what are they look like? Please show me some more. Thanks

5. May 12, 2011 at 7:45 PM
    skamikaze

skamikaze Member

Member:
    If the original sensors will fit straight into the new wheels, that would be the best way to go I think. The sensors are paired to your ecu so if you buy new ones, those would need to be paired, and the dealership supposedly charges an arm an leg to do that also. there are some other shops that might be able to do it for free if they have the equipment, or you could buy it or find someone else with the equipment (I know people invest in these devices because they have a second set of wheels and tires for winter).
    I just went through an ordeal of putting on a new set of aftermarket wheels and swapping in the old tpms sensors from the original set and will be happy to share my experience with you lol.
    so the tire shop had no problem removing my tpms sensors from the old oem 15in wheels and replacing them with regular valve stems, but they would not be able to mount the sensors into the new wheels without straps. i was doing my own research and saw these brackets that iforged made that looked like a better application for my wheels. http://g35driver.com/forums/brakes-...rs-tpms-aftermarket-wheels-volk-work-etc.html and http://www.rx8club.com/showthread.php?t=173026
    During my research I had thought the tacoma tpms sensors were somewhat flat (I've seen the sensors in person for what I thought was in my wheels, but when the shop yanked out my sensors they were much more angled. This could be because I had assumed the more common 16 in wheels tpms would be the same in my 15 in wheels.
    Anyway, long story short, the brackets i bought from iforged would not accomodate the tpms sensors. even using a strap kit looked kind of near impossible to mount.
    the alternative i considered was ordering a new set of tpms sensors that were for the 16 in wheels (and flatter) and then finding a way to pair them to the truck without getting ripped by the dealer. but the shop said they frequently drill a new whole in the back of the rim to accomodate the sensor. That just seemed quicker and cheaper, and they assured me there would be no problems so that's what i did...

oh if you or anyone needs a set of those tpms sensor brackets from iforged, i have no use for them and would be nice to get some money back for them...

6. May 12, 2011 at 7:57 PM
    skamikaze

skamikaze Member

Member:
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  7. May 13, 2011 at 6:30 AM
    boatswain

boatswain Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    carl
    palmerton,PA.
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Sport access cab, magnetic grey metallic.
    if you want to see what they look like go to -revolution supply co.-products-tpms-accessories-tpms strap kit-part#22105 ($59.95+ship.) the brackets can be bent to different angles,and the valve stems go through the round holes,and tighten just like in a rim.

8. May 13, 2011 at 6:34 AM
    bama trd

bama trd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2007 Silver Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Painted Grill with painted Land Cruiser emblem,Tinted Windows, BF Goodrich AT 275/70/17's on 4 Runner SR5 Rims, Bilstein 5100 front and Rear, debadged, fog light on anytime mod,
    Or , you can cut one wire and hook it to a hot source and the light is off for good ,no matter what tire/rim that you put on.

9. May 13, 2011 at 7:32 AM
    Tidrow

Tidrow Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    PreRunnin' 08
    BHLM, All Black grill, Fog light Mod, AFE pro dry, 20% tint, Weathertechs, Kenwood deck, Bridgestone AT Revo 2
    ^do you have a link for this mod?

10. May 13, 2011 at 7:35 AM
    bama trd

bama trd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2007 Silver Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Painted Grill with painted Land Cruiser emblem,Tinted Windows, BF Goodrich AT 275/70/17's on 4 Runner SR5 Rims, Bilstein 5100 front and Rear, debadged, fog light on anytime mod,
    Search " Disabled TPMS on my 2008" , I've did this to my previous 2008 and the one that I have now , just a pain to get to the wires on the bottom of the Red box ( you'll see in the pic )

Products Discussed in

To Top