1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need Help on Pioneer HU install

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by brny67, May 6, 2017.

1. May 6, 2017 at 2:37 PM
    brny67

brny67 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Moyock NC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport A/C
    Has anyone put in the Pioneer 2800BS HU? if so..I am following the color code from the wiring harness that came with the HU and I am hooking up the Scosche wiring harness that I ordered with in dash kit, does the black wire from the HU harness hook up to the black on the Scosche harness? If anyone has gone the same route i am?

Thanks in advance,

Bill

2. May 6, 2017 at 3:18 PM
    kingston73

kingston73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    I'm pretty sure it's just connect same color to same color, yes.

tcBob and brny67[OP] like this.
  3. May 6, 2017 at 9:43 PM
    Purpleman

Purpleman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Anaheim
    Vehicle:
    15 PreRunner
    yes!

brny67[OP] likes this.
  4. May 7, 2017 at 7:03 AM
    Do58

Do58 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 white tacoma limited
    Black wire is the ground. Color for color stripe for stripe

brny67[OP] likes this.
  5. May 7, 2017 at 12:01 PM
    brny67

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Moyock NC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport A/C
    so I installed my hu everything is working except the backup camera...I have a Esky plate backup...followed the instructions and no go, I have the Yellow RC cord ran from the HU (in put) to the back and the connector plugs in to the female end and I grounded it to the frame of the vehicle and spliced the red wire in the reverse light....am I missing something?

Tnx

6. May 7, 2017 at 12:18 PM
    Dragons Taco

Dragons Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Cary/Raleigh NC
    Vehicle:
    06 Black TRD-S 4WD 4D 6SPD and MINE!
    Can ya spell Tonneau
    So we have several factors going on. The camera video, the camera power, and the head unit backup video trigger.

The camera just needs 12vdc, ground and a will put out video signal. It doesn't care where the voltage source is. Get a volt meter or 12vdc light and confirm the camera is getting power when you are in reverse. Otherwise run a temporary power source to it. I used a 12vdc ac adapter and connected the video output to my TV in my living room when I was testing an assortment of cameras before putting on my vehicle. (nearly free volt meters can be gotten at if you don't have one)

After confirming you have 12vdc at the camera, the video signal should get to your head unit. You can test for signal using your multimeter's A/C setting. You should get around 1volt.

At your head unit, you can attach the video signal to the backup or the aux in, so move the video to the aux if you think that you aren't getting video. Set your video to aux and check to see if you can get the camera video. Yes? move on. No? Double check power to the camera and the condition of the RCA cable. There can not be any shorts in this wire, and you should be able to measure the 1v A/C at the head unit with the camera powered up.

If you can see video from your camera in aux, then the problem is that the head unit doesn't know that you have shifted into reverse and won't automatically switch to the backup video signal. This is controlled at the head unit by the (white/brown?) wire marked as reverse. When there is 12vdc at this wire the backup video signal is selected.

The reason why you would use the reverse lights to power your camera in the back was if you didn't want to power your camera all of the time, and would never want to see it's video while not in reverse. If this isn't the case then you will have to figure on another power source that would switch with the key. Or if you want to make it part of a security system you'd power it all the time.

7. May 7, 2017 at 12:35 PM
    brny67

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Moyock NC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport A/C
    Derek,

Wow great info...so I am assuming I will have to run some more wires from the HU to the rear, since I have a 08 sport that was not prewired for a back up camera?? I thought all I had to do was run the 18 ft RCA cord the company supplied and tap into the reverse 12v....oh well back to the drawing board. Thanks for that write up.

VR,

Bill

8. May 7, 2017 at 1:06 PM
    Do58

Do58 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    When wiring a backup camera you will have the yellow video rca. That goes from the camera to behind the radio. Next is power. You have to give the camera power. Aftermarket camera will be 12v. Many people hook the red wire from the camera to the reverse wire on the vehicle ( rev light ) and the ground ( black ) wire to the chassis. Do NOT use the neg wire on the rev light as a ground. It will work but not a good ground. Easy to find metal clean it and secure it. Lastly, the reverse trigger from the radio. You need to tell the radio when it's going into reverse to kick on the camera. ( don't forget many radios the rev camera default is set to "off" so you need to go into the menu and turn it "on"). The rev trigger from the radio ( usually a purple/white) would tap into the red wire.THATS ONLY IF YOU WIRE IT THE WAY I SAID. I DONT DO THAT THOUGH. I wire the camera power (red) to switched or accessory and black to ground and rev trigger ( usually pur/wht ) to the trucks rev wire and video rca to the radio. I do this so you can turn the camera on when your driving from the radio ( most ) so you can see if you have someone on your ass or if you have someone behind you that is suppose to be following you and you want to make sure they are still behind you. Or if your hauling and need to check your load. Just my thoughts on this. Good luck

brny67[OP] likes this.
  9. May 7, 2017 at 3:08 PM
    brny67

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Moyock NC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport A/C
    Thanks everyone for the advice, putting it to rest for the eve, time for beer and steaks with friends...will let u know the outcome.

Have a good one.

10. May 8, 2017 at 4:11 PM
    brny67

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Moyock NC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport A/C
    so what i highlighted in red, i did not hook the purple and white wire to anything...so should i run extra wire from behind the HU to the back of the truck and hook into the reverse light with the camera red wire? Sorry for the confusion.

11. May 8, 2017 at 5:19 PM
    Do58

Do58 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    you only want to tap the pur/wht wire to the red if it's connected to the rev wire in the truck. Sometimes you need a relay to increase the current doing it that way. Again, if you do it this way you ONLY get the camera on reverse. NOT reverse AND at your disgression. I hook them up and would recommend pur/wht to rev wire on truck red to ign and black to ground

brny67[OP] likes this.
  12. May 8, 2017 at 5:31 PM
    brny67

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Moyock NC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport A/C
    yeah, i only want when i am in reverse....thanks so much for the help

13. May 9, 2017 at 9:32 AM
    timmaayyy

timmaayyy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    '16 TRD Sport DC
    See the image below. Run the reverse lead from the HU to the panel beside your left foot. Just tap it in with a T tap. You can confirm the correct wire by setting the parking brake and shifting to reverse, then measure with a multi meter, you want to see 12v. That tells the HU that you're in reverse.

Run the video (yellow) from the HU to the camera.

Use 2 more T taps and run the power leads from the camera to one of the back up lights and tap in. Now your camera only has power when the truck is in reverse.

http://s370.photobucket.com/user/JC... Nov2012/Backupcamwiring_zps3e789e89.jpg.html

brny67[OP] likes this.
  14. May 9, 2017 at 10:50 AM
    brny67

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Moyock NC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport A/C
    I am assuming this will work on a 08 trd? Thanks so much for this pic.

15. May 10, 2017 at 10:43 AM
    Do58

Do58 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    yes its the same..... everything has been all laid out for you. now, just do it if you haven't already

brny67[OP] likes this.
  16. May 10, 2017 at 1:24 PM
    brny67

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Moyock NC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport A/C
    Did it...still not working....i havr tried everything...will let everyone know outcome....this sucks

17. May 11, 2017 at 11:29 AM
    timmaayyy

timmaayyy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    '16 TRD Sport DC
    PM sent. let's figure this thing out!

brny67[OP] likes this.
  18. May 11, 2017 at 12:42 PM
    brny67

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Moyock NC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport A/C
    Just pmed u back...you the man.

19. May 20, 2017 at 8:20 PM
    brny67

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Moyock NC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport A/C
    Finally got this back up camera working..it was the power supply. Thanks to everyone that gave great advice.

Products Discussed in

To Top