1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

need help on rain guards!!!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by OffRoad90, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Dec 31, 2011 at 1:55 PM
    OffRoad90

OffRoad90 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner v6 shortbed
    took my rain guards off and need a way to get glue off of truck!!! Tips are helpful!!!!

2. Dec 31, 2011 at 1:57 PM
    Eagledynasty

Eagledynasty The White Knight

Member:
    First Name:
    AJ
    Worcester, MassHole
    Vehicle:
    09 Super White DoubleCab Off-Road
    2009 SWDC O/R. Check Build!
    Blow dryer and fishing line or anything to get it off without scratching

3. Dec 31, 2011 at 2:18 PM
    Madjik_Man

Madjik_Man The Rembrandt of Rattle Can

Member:
    Boulder, CO
    Vehicle:
    1998 Ext Cab 4x4 TRD 5MT sunfire red pearl
    About 25 pounds of spray paint and vinyl dye
    Goo gone, a s-load of elbow grease and rubbing compound

4. Dec 31, 2011 at 3:07 PM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    Googone works well. It just leaves an oily residue you'll have to clean off. Acetone will work the best as long as you don't use a lot of it and you don't rub too hard. If you use too much or rub too hard you can damage the paint. Many people on here will tell you not to, personally thats all I use to remove adhesive residue. If you're careful, it works great. I have used it on countless vehicle and NEVER done any paint damage. That's your call though.

5. Dec 31, 2011 at 5:47 PM
    Loner02

Loner02 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2002 Xtra-Cab SR5 TRD 4x4
    Leather interior, power sunroof, tint, AVS bug-shield and window visors, bed-rug, tonneau cover
    ^2

I took mine off recently, used a blow dryer to soften the glue, then some goo gone, followed with rubbing compound then a fresh coat of wax.

6. Jan 1, 2012 at 8:07 AM
    spidy3

spidy3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dom
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    01 DC TRD V6
    stock
    your thumb and some silicone spray. silicone spray wont damage the paint. You can throw a hairdryer in there too which might help but sometimes makes it more sticky

7. Jan 1, 2012 at 8:17 AM
    Texoma

Texoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    Poweraid TB spacer, a bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA 2035s headers and dey are perty, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, LR UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, 5 factory 16" steels wit Pep Boys special Dakota Definity MT's in 285/75/16, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more but it's alre
    To safely remove any adhesive from your vehicle without damaging the clearcoat is the blowdrier/heatgun method as said above. Also a plastic scraper, either an ice scraper or plastic putty one will do. Heat and scrape lightly to medium to break up the adhesive. Then get some hot soapy water and a dish sponge(not the green scrubby part!) and put some elbow grease into the affected area. You can also get your scraper in on this as well. Just have a little patience, and you'll come out clean.
    The reason I recomend this way is because if used in excess or improperly, all the solvents mentioned above and any others can and will potentially remove clear coat and leave a milky spot in the area. Even worse, eat at your paint. So if you are confident enough to use those solvents, use them sparingly and use a white rag or towel vs. colored.
    Good luck

8. Jan 1, 2012 at 8:27 AM
    t4daddy

t4daddy Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2008 PreRunner Double Cab

This is mostly the route I took, used a credit card as a scraper. I swear anyone that is thinking of installing that type of guard, should have to clean
    up this sticky shit from hell, first and I guarantee they wouldn't install them.

9. Jan 1, 2012 at 8:29 AM
    mcdowell

mcdowell My name is Mudd

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    mobile al
    Vehicle:
    2011 prerunner SR5
    2in Toytec leveling kit TSB 4 leafpack 130w KC driving lights Wsetin 3 tab lightbar Black headlights Trex eyelids TRD sport wheels Firestone MT Hood protector Vent visors Tube stepbars Colormatch grille
    Blowdryer and a good grip

10. Jan 1, 2012 at 8:38 AM
    hogeyphenogey

hogeyphenogey Rotted frame = New Truck!

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Chicopee, MA
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Off Road Crew Cab
    new truck... No mods yet!
    They make plastic razor blades, they look like real blades but they're bright red. I used that and goo gone. Then I used in-channel rain guards. Much better look and fitment.

To Top