1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

NEED HELP PLEASE, non TRD Tacoma and DIFF LIGHT IS ON

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by George Rockwell, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Feb 28, 2011 at 4:43 PM
    George Rockwell

George Rockwell [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma with a ARB bull bar
    very fast
    Hi yall, i have a 2003 non TRD Tacoma DC with a no slip locker in the rear, today when driving home from work a light came on on the dash, REAR DIFF LOCK and strangely the CEL that has been on since i gutted my cats went off and my reverse lights no longer work,, i am confused, looks like i will be hunting the problem for a while. Please any advice will be appreciated.

2. Feb 28, 2011 at 5:46 PM
    Supra TT

Supra TT Solid Axle FTMFW!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2000 SAS D60 F/R
    SAS.. Need I say more.
    Probably a loose wire, or ground issue... Get a scanner on it to read the CEL.

3. Feb 28, 2011 at 5:59 PM
    George Rockwell

George Rockwell [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma with a ARB bull bar
    very fast
    there is no CEL , it went away same time the DIFF LOCK came on, i only had a CEL from my cats being gutted.

4. Feb 28, 2011 at 6:03 PM
    lotsoftoys

lotsoftoys pavement is boring....

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    98 lifted panda taco
    bunch of crap
    the cats are gutted and u dont have a c/e light anymore? thats a problem in itself ha... but then at the same time the diff light came on? is the diff infact locked?

5. Feb 28, 2011 at 10:26 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    No Truck..well, maybe
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    well a couple questions , if its not a TRD , I didn't think a locking diff was applicable, you mentioned a RR diff light, is it possible that your truck has been de badged (all TRD graphics removed)

6. Mar 1, 2011 at 7:07 AM
    takern

takern Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD Offroad stepside
    Deckplate mod, sliders, uniden cb, toolbox, dakar leaf pack, in search of coilovers, 255/85 16 bfg m/t waiting to go on
    I would go with this. I doubt there would even be a diff light if there was no locker. If it is on, test to see if there is a locker engaged. the easiest way is to put one rear tire in the air and push the gas. if you go, then you are locked, if not, then there is an electrical short.

Another thought, unless the grey wire mod has been done you need to be in 4L to engage the locker which in itself would be a whole new set of problems

7. Mar 1, 2011 at 7:20 AM
    tacomaforlife

tacomaforlife Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robbie
    AIKEN, SC
    Vehicle:
    Its a Toyota what more is there to say.....
    TRD S/C 3" sky jacker suspension lift,33" kumho road venture mt kl71's 16" 320c pacer wheels,billet grill,EBC slotted and dimpled rotors,super 44 muffler with gutted cat,smoked l.e.d. tail lights, deck plate mod with K&N filter,fog/blinker mod,cobra cb with 4' firestick antenna/100W PA,clear corners with l.e.d bulbs,55w back up lights,urd O2 sim., blue l.e.d bulbs behind gauge cluster.
    ^^^ Wrong my non trd open diff has the rr locking diff light mine came on when i blew the fuse to my gauges.

8. Mar 1, 2011 at 8:49 AM
    takern

takern Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD Offroad stepside
    Deckplate mod, sliders, uniden cb, toolbox, dakar leaf pack, in search of coilovers, 255/85 16 bfg m/t waiting to go on
    I stand corrected.

To Top