1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

NEED HELP : Putting it all together, lift, wheels and tires.

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by cnew, May 24, 2012.

1. May 24, 2012 at 6:35 PM
    cnew

cnew [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Goodyear AZ
    Vehicle:
    11 DC 4x4 Sport
    Ok here we go..
    Let me preface this with I HAVE USED THE SEARCH FUNCTION to find answers regarding my questions. I’ve been searching for around a year now compiling info and $$$ on all of these issues and questions, I think I am finally ready to pull the trigger. What I really want and need out of this is good clear concise answers with no b/s, please let me know if I am correct or wrong and why. Who knows if this ends up being short, sweet, and simple it may become a sticky and you will never need to answer these questions again. Doubtful but you never know. In all honesty after searching all these individual issues and options then trying to put all of it together I know I have screwed something up along the way and that in turn will cost a pretty penny to fix (not to mention my wife will tell me I told you so)!! For many of you this is simple, for me not so much.
    Most of this post is me just listing what I plan to do so please, if you see something that won’t work then let me know. I do however still have specific questions that are in red that I need answers for. Please help me out, after all isn’t that why all of us are here and use the site.
    I’m going to have a local shop do the install; as much as I would love to do the lift myself and learn with help from friends I would rather have the peace of mind knowing that a shop will back their work and finish it that day. I have some tools and the desire to learn but with my luck I will end up ripping out an ABS line and rounding off whatever bolt is the absolute most important on the truck.

What I have is a 2011 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4 with Elite aluminum front bumper (50lb or so).
    What I want is an Old Man EMU lift with 285’s, sounds simple enough but there are so many variables that go into it.

Lift - Old Man EMU complete suspension system : Nitro Charger front and rear shocks , 885 front coil springs, Dakar rear leaf springs w/bushings, front trim packer, driveline bearing drop kit (not installing unless I get vibes) and u-bolts.
    Adding lift enhancer kit but only installing the extended studs for now. This way I will be able to add the spacer if needed once the suspension settles.
    Ordering center pin collars and installing so I can add shims if I develop vibes http://www.autoandtrucksprings.com/p...cs-1662-0.html
    UCAS – Light Racing upper control arms to clear the 285’s. Should I purchase new UCA bolts from the stealership so the shop can just cut the old ones and be done with it? They get paid by the hour and I figure that would save a little time. I know a shop can and will take someone for a ride but for those of you who have messed with it will it save time??

Wheels/Tires/Lug Nuts - Pro Comp 7089 17” x 8” 6 on 5.5 Bolt Pattern - Backspace 4.5” - Offset 0mm
    Will my stock TPMS work? Both are alloy so my understanding is they will?? I know these wheels are hub centric but my understanding is they will work fine as long as they are road force balanced.

Lug Nuts – Gorilla conical ET spline drive lugs 12mmx1.5. Need to get the spline drive socket as well. Will the Black Acorn Lug Lock Set 12mmx1.5 that Wheelers Offroad sells work? If not what are my options for making sure my wheels and tires stay on my truck??

Tires – 285 70 17 BFG All Terrain T/A KO or Goodyear Wrangler Dura Trac.
    My plan is to use the stock spare rim and just put the new rubber on it. Looking at the specs for both tires it looks to me that it will work fine either way. I read that 285 70 17 is the largest tire that will fit in the stock location (with minor modification) so I am going with that. Didn’t see a whole lot of info to back it up so please let me know if you know it will work or not??
    If I do use the stock spare wheel I know it will rub on the front wheels since the spare has the same stock backspacing. Can I solve that issue by using the spare only on the back wheels if I get a flat?

I know I have forgotten something and will think of it the second I post. Thanks in advance for any and all help with my questions!!

2. May 25, 2012 at 8:29 AM
    cnew

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Goodyear AZ
    Vehicle:
    11 DC 4x4 Sport
    Nothing really?? Guess I should have put will it fit and waited for the bashing to start, that would have at least gotten some posts.

3. May 25, 2012 at 8:43 AM
    Bender581

Bender581 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    AL
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2012 4X4 Tacoma
    Gobi roof rack. Icon coilovers, Icon tubular UCAs, FOX 2.0 rear shocks, Icon 3-leaf progressive AAL.
    Everyone that could answer your question is probably at work or taking off for this long weekend. It does look like you have done your homework.

4. May 29, 2012 at 9:58 PM
    cnew

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Goodyear AZ
    Vehicle:
    11 DC 4x4 Sport
    anybody??

5. May 30, 2012 at 5:31 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Reading

6. May 30, 2012 at 5:33 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    LB or SB ?

7. May 30, 2012 at 8:25 PM
    cnew

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Goodyear AZ
    Vehicle:
    11 DC 4x4 Sport
  8. May 30, 2012 at 8:42 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    Should I purchase new UCA bolts from the stealership so the shop can just cut the old ones and be done with it? They get paid by the hour and I figure that would save a little time. I know a shop can and will take someone for a ride but for those of you who have messed with it will it save time??

Folding the inner fender with channel locks is definitely faster than trying th cut the bolt head off. It's just a matter of how much butchery you are willing to do to your truck. :) Not sure if you checked prices, but the UCA bolts are also pretty expensive.

Will my stock TPMS work? Both are alloy so my understanding is they will?? I know these wheels are hub centric but my understanding is they will work fine as long as they are road force balanced.

Stock TPMS should work. Make sure the tire shop uses a rebuild kit and replaces the various O-rings, stems, etc. on the sensor.

Get a set of plastic hubcentric rings, else you will have vibration problems with the wheels. The balancing machine has a tapered plug that always fits the center bore, so the wheel can be perfectly balanced on the machine, yet be eccentric when mounted on the truck, if you don't use a hubcentric ring.

Will the Black Acorn Lug Lock Set 12mmx1.5 that Wheelers Offroad sells work? If not what are my options for making sure my wheels and tires stay on my truck??

The one you quoted isn't extended-thread. I don't think Gorilla makes extended-thread black wheel locks. You would need to use the "CHROME Acorn E/T Ultra Style Conical Lug Lock Set"

If I do use the stock spare wheel I know it will rub on the front wheels since the spare has the same stock backspacing. Can I solve that issue by using the spare only on the back wheels if I get a flat?

Or you can leave the stock tire on the stock spare wheel. For short distances (i.e. limping to a tire shop), running mismatched tire diameters isn't a problem. Stay in 4x2 and disable VSC.

9. May 31, 2012 at 2:44 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Ken pretty much covered it

10. May 31, 2012 at 7:52 PM
    cnew

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Goodyear AZ
    Vehicle:
    11 DC 4x4 Sport
    Thanks for the help. I wouldn't have known that I needed a rebuild kit for the TPMS.

After reading tons and tons of threads I thought that the Pro Comp 7089s would work fine. After doing some more research it looks like the hubcentric rings will take yet another variable out of the lift.
    So for the hubsentric rings it looks like these ones from Amazon will work : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0032HQJ7G/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00
    Stock Tacoma 05+ hubs are 106.1 but the Pro Comp 7089's have an inside diameter of 108 and this should solve some of the balancing issues.

Regarding your comment on the wheels and tires:
    "Or you can leave the stock tire on the stock spare wheel. For short distances (i.e. limping to a tire shop), running mismatched tire diameters isn't a problem. Stay in 4x2 and disable VSC."
    If I did decide to keep the stock spare wheel and stock tire my understanding is as long as I use the spare on the front and don't have it in 4x4 I should be fine since I have the LSD 4x4. Granted I don't make sharp turns and drive at high speeds.

As far as the lugs it looks like there are no solutions yet for locking lugs that are black and extended thread? I don't really want the "CHROME Acorn E/T Ultra Style Conical Lug Lock Set" that you mentioned but if that is my only option I have no choice. If I do purchase the chrome locking set you reccomend can I use them with the Gorilla conical ET spline drive lugs (12mmx1.5) with no issues? With all the plasti-dip/derp and bedliner out there I am sure I can hide it as long as everything will tighten up and be safe on the raod.

11. May 31, 2012 at 9:41 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    You can use the spare at any position. The LSD in '09+ Tacos is brake-based. You can disable VSC and LSD by holding down the VSC button for 5 sec.

Gorilla only started making extended thread lugnuts in black very recently. They haven't followed suit with the locks. Of course, even the basic spline-drive lug nuts offer some security.

12. Jun 4, 2012 at 3:44 PM
    cnew

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Goodyear AZ
    Vehicle:
    11 DC 4x4 Sport
    Thanks again for the help. Sending in the order soon for the lift components so I can pick them up next Monday.

Products Discussed in

To Top