1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need help with Part #'s (2004 Tacoma)

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Jarl Mikael, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Jan 29, 2020 at 4:55 PM
    Jarl Mikael

Jarl Mikael [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Omaha, NE
    Vehicle:
    2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 4X4 SR5 TRD
    Hi all, new to TacomaWorld.

I've been around Subaru's all my life and decided to get into a Tacoma for the use of the truck a the for the reliability. I'm looking to order some parts online and I'm struggling to understand some of the diagrams as I'm not used to truck suspensions. I apologize in advanced for my naivety.

2004 Tacoma Xtracab V6 4X4 SR5 TRD

With Subaru's having a wide range of aftermarket replacement parts I've never really had to use the Toyota parts site before. So, I'm going to throw out what I know that I need (think I need) and I'd love some insight. My frame is a tad bit rusty in a few areas on the truck so I'm looking to do a little restoration and reinforcement to the frame and frame components in the mean time while I save up a few dollars and time to replace the frame completely.

I'm buying these Safe-T-Caps and having an experience welder take care of putting them on for me. If I'm not mistaken these are the front mounts for the leaf springs, correct? If so, after these have been welded on I'd like to replace the bushings and replace the hardware (nuts, bolts, etc.) that holds everything together. Can't seem to find any information anywhere and all I can find is replacements for the rear shackles.

https://www.autorust.com/product/mi...side-tacoma-96-04-xtracab-2wd-4wd-tac-157x-p/

Next on the list would be the brackets that hold the front end of the truck bed? I believe. Here's the part number I believe that I need. It's the mount that comes just before (towards the front of the truck) the mount stated above. Not the one directly above it. The part says No.3 LEFT and I can't seem to locate the other side. I need the mounts for both sides.

https://parts.dandeerytoyota.com/p/...MOUNTING---NO-3-LEFT/63386777/5170635050.html

If the part above is correct I need the whole bushing assembly (bushing, nuts bolts, etc.) that would attach to that. I found this, but I could not figure out if it was the whole assembly or if I had to buy each one of these parts individually.

https://parts.dandeerytoyota.com/p/Body-Mount-Cushion/63124970/5220304020.html

Like, I said. I'm not used to using the diagrams for parts and not used to the suspension on trucks. So any insight on any of this or if I should add anything to the list, I would appreciate the help. Thanks in advance.

2. Jan 29, 2020 at 5:06 PM
    stiover

stiover Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Vehicle:
    2004 DCSB
    Bilsteins Toyotec Springs OME Dakar leafs TE37X w/ 33s
    The first part number looks like there is a specific one for the left, but for the "right" it can be used as left or right. Makes sense.
    Part#
    https://parts.dandeerytoyota.com/p/Truck-Cab-Bracket-Left--Right/63253581/5170535110.html

Also find these from the second sight I posted. There is a right specific I guess.
    PN 51705-35170. Left is PN 51706-35050

As for the cab mounts, I don't think you can buy them as a group, but rather individual. This site has a lot of great illustrations as well but may need to bounce the part numbers off a normal site for fitment checks.

https://toyota-usa.epc-data.com/tacoma/vzn195l/3282/body/5251/

But if you're going to buy all new body mounts, I'd suggest just buying the energy suspension body mount kit that comes with new hardware and better bushings, for probably a whole lot cheaper.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B004ALK...olid=1PMLYX7PSYZIF&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

3. Jan 29, 2020 at 5:08 PM
    jbrandt

jbrandt Made you look

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    El Dorado, CA (NOT El Dorado Hills)
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD Tacoma 4x4 DC
    Kings, J59's Total Chaos UCAs Custom skids Sticker mod
    I would do a lot more searching around here before committing to just capping the frame. You gotta get rid of the rust (inside and out) before a cap will do much good.

You also gotta prevent the rust from coming back, which usually means fluid film. So search around for that and you'll see what people are doing to treat their frame rust.

Those brackets though, a semi experienced fabricator could make those for you pretty easy, too.

4. Jan 29, 2020 at 5:09 PM
    jbrandt

jbrandt Made you look

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    El Dorado, CA (NOT El Dorado Hills)
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD Tacoma 4x4 DC
    Kings, J59's Total Chaos UCAs Custom skids Sticker mod
    you'd get a harsher ride with the poly bushings, though. If it's a daily driver, I'd stick to rubber.

5. Jan 29, 2020 at 5:22 PM
    Jarl Mikael

Member:
    Omaha, NE
    Vehicle:
    I appreciate the quick responses already guys. Stiover, that diagram does seem to be a lot better and lots less links. I assume the kit that you linked has all the bushings, etc for the leaf spring mounts as well? If so, I just need some help locating some nuts and bolts to get the leaf springs reattached after restoration. I imagine the ones on there now are probably rather seized up.

Jbrandt, my buddy and I are putting in a lot of research before we undergo this, just wanting to get everything prepped parts wise at the moment. I appreciate it.

6. Jan 29, 2020 at 5:32 PM
    wolfgang123

wolfgang123 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Skyler
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    1997 TACOMA - 4x4
  7. Jan 29, 2020 at 6:02 PM
    stiover

stiover Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Vehicle:
    2004 DCSB
    Bilsteins Toyotec Springs OME Dakar leafs TE37X w/ 33s
    New leaf spring hardware can be had through the dealer but I opted to buy everything for my rear leafs from wheelers (they also have oem hardware on their site). I bought greaseable hardware but didn't end up pressing my ome bushings out to replace them. But they had literally everything. Rear leaf hardware and new shackles as well.

8. Jan 30, 2020 at 11:46 AM
    Jarl Mikael

Member:
    Omaha, NE
    Vehicle:
    Might just get ahold of the dealer and find out the part #’s for the hardware. Was just hoping somebody knew and that I could head to a hardware store and get some. I guess when ordering bushings I’m confused as to which ones go where. I don’t necessarily need any for the the rear of the leaf springs (shackles) but at the front where the mounting plate is. Are they universal?

Products Discussed in

To Top