1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need help with rear LT build

Discussion in 'Long Travel Suspension' started by Babyjake16, Mar 26, 2018.

1. Mar 26, 2018 at 1:55 PM
    Babyjake16

Babyjake16 [OP] @project_traitor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2008 Super White Tacoma
    33" Nitto Trail Grapplers 17" TRD Matte Black Wheels ICON Stage 5 w/ differential drop 30% Tint 2 - Pioneer 12" Shallow Mount Subs Focal Speakers Pioneer Head Unit 2 - Pioneer Amps Custom Stickers/Badges Paracord Grab Handles Painted Interior (all panels, headliner and carpet) Clazzio Leather Seat Covers with leather arm rests Ditch Lights 3 - 8" HieseLight Bars in bumper Rock Lights - Cali Raised LED Custom Fabricated Front Bumper - Blackout Fabrication Rock Sliders - DOSECC Fabrication Bushwacker Fender Flares (color matched) Morimoto LED Fog Lights
    Hey everyone, I need help getting put in the right direction. I’m trying to build my rear in the next few months and so far I’m confused as hell. I think I’ve read way too much in a short period of time.

What I’ll probably end up doing is a 14” bypass with the archive garage mount. That was simple enough to figure out.

Next I want to do a SUA but I have no idea what I want or need to complete this. Archive seems to have loads of stuff but it’s hard for my mind to comprehend without bursting. It would be way easier if there was a package that I could buy.

What do you all suggest for my rear? Please include links if possible.

This build will be for more of a speed truck rather than a rock crawler.

2. Mar 26, 2018 at 1:57 PM
    Babyjake16

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2008 Super White Tacoma
    33" Nitto Trail Grapplers 17" TRD Matte Black Wheels ICON Stage 5 w/ differential drop 30% Tint 2 - Pioneer 12" Shallow Mount Subs Focal Speakers Pioneer Head Unit 2 - Pioneer Amps Custom Stickers/Badges Paracord Grab Handles Painted Interior (all panels, headliner and carpet) Clazzio Leather Seat Covers with leather arm rests Ditch Lights 3 - 8" HieseLight Bars in bumper Rock Lights - Cali Raised LED Custom Fabricated Front Bumper - Blackout Fabrication Rock Sliders - DOSECC Fabrication Bushwacker Fender Flares (color matched) Morimoto LED Fog Lights
    Also, I should say that I’m not trying to go overkill with this in terms of money.

3. Mar 26, 2018 at 3:39 PM
    zscott

zscott Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB Off-Road 4x4
    I don't think the archive mount will fit a bypass. It is pretty tight. To fit a bypass you are going to use more of a shock hoop style setup to give clearance vs the tower style shock mount that Archive and BAMF offer.

If I were you and certain that all you wanted was a 14" shock I would do the Archive Hammer Hanger with the 4.9" shackle. Then use the deaver u539 or u540 springs depending on what weight you are going to carry. Also order Archives shock mounts. Then once all those parts come in, take it over to Alex with TNA Performance (Local) and have him fab up a hoop system that fits under the bed and weld it all in.

Probably one of the better examples on the forum here:

jberry's 2012 DCSB: Actual Moderator with a Tacoma...Build

Also, notice how he has 12" shocks. With a 14" shock your shock mount is going to have to sit pretty low to accommodate the full amount of up travel gained by a spring under axle setup. I have my shocks mounted as high as possible without going through the bed and to allow for sufficient up travel my shock mounts sits where the factory shock mounts were and I am spring over axle. With spring under axle the extra 2-3" of uptravel you gain by putting the leafs under the axle is only worthwhile if you have the shock travel to handle it. If your shocks can't go any higher then the lower mounts have got to drop.

Slvr14tacoma likes this.
  4. Mar 26, 2018 at 9:12 PM
    Babyjake16

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2008 Super White Tacoma
    You’re the best! It’s nice to have this all in writing so I can go back and forth with this. I’ve actually been working pretty close with Alex on this, he was gunning for the 63 Chevy springs. This is great info though. I really appreciate it

5. Mar 27, 2018 at 3:40 PM
    Babyjake16

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2008 Super White Tacoma
    Ordered shackles and lowers mounts this morning @ARCHIVE is awesome to work with. Happy to sport his products!

6. Mar 27, 2018 at 3:49 PM
    zscott

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB Off-Road 4x4
    Yep, Eric is a good guy and makes great products.

7. Mar 27, 2018 at 4:47 PM
    ARCHIVE

ARCHIVE Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Orchard Park, NY (Buffalo)
    Vehicle:
    '05 Taco, '22 Tundra, '91 Cummins
    2.5" Fox relocation * Hammer hanger * Archive MD springs
    The Archive shock mounts are bypass capable using a remote reservoir only.
    The best configuration is tubes forward towards engine and resi hose rearward. King offers this config, but Fox would have to be custom ordered. Here is a normal Fox 2.5x14 triple bypass test fitted. The shock won't hang vertical like pictures installed on truck, bottom eye would be rearward. I did fit it on my truck, but didn't run it yet, hopefully in a few weeks time. After this pic was taken, I moved the top bolt back 1/4" so current towers have a tad more clearance to tubes allowing shock axis to hang straight vertical even though it won't get to vertical even when running Deaver U539/540 spring under.

Eric

20171215_110009.jpg

8. Mar 27, 2018 at 5:29 PM
    Babyjake16

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2008 Super White Tacoma
    Oh nice! I’m working with icon on this, any idea if their bypasseses will fit up in there? Or is that too hard to say

9. Mar 27, 2018 at 5:33 PM
    ARCHIVE

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    I don't know, have not seen pics with tube layout or compressed/extended length for Icon

Also, as you mentioned in first post, I really need to put a full kit on my site asap

10. Mar 27, 2018 at 5:47 PM
    Babyjake16

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2008 Super White Tacoma
    Is there info I can get for you from icon? Maybe if you want to do some r/d I can have them shipped to you first? Just a thought.

Yeah I think just would be helpful and drive sales! I’m sure there’s a few others like me that had a tough time trying to figure everything out

11. Mar 27, 2018 at 7:40 PM
    zscott

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB Off-Road 4x4
    Yeah looks like king would fit well. The fox you are showing would definitely have issues with the tire hitting he reservoir tube though.

I did see a fox configuration that probably would work, three tube remote. See below:

E10DC495-AD4C-4FF4-9A0B-757F30E9BA87.jpg

12. Mar 27, 2018 at 7:47 PM
    Babyjake16

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2008 Super White Tacoma
    Pretty nuts. I’m gonna call my guy at icon tomorrow and see what they are thinking. I will also be running a 2” Wheel spacer back there. With the possibility of going to a tundra axle

13. Mar 27, 2018 at 10:19 PM
    zscott

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB Off-Road 4x4
    With a 2" wheel spacer you will get a little more clearance. I have a 14" smooth body and run a 1.25" wheel spacer and only rub when the truck is completely flexed out. Even then it is just barely.

14. Mar 29, 2018 at 4:16 AM
    Dalandser

Dalandser ¡Me Gustan Las Tacos-mas!

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner Regular Cab / 98 4x4 Extra Cab
    Empty Wallet Mod
    I wouldn't bother - they're only 3/4" wider per side.

15. Mar 29, 2018 at 11:24 AM
    Babyjake16

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2008 Super White Tacoma
    Yeah after doing more research, not worth it

16. Mar 29, 2018 at 12:33 PM
    ARCHIVE

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    I know what you are saying, I'll be able to try different configs by swapping shocks side to side.
    Did you know Fox has a top cap that allows you to rotate the body of the shock? Pretty cool, bolts visible in pic.
    The published 3-tube remote layout does not match my triples or ones I've seen in person at Accutune Offroad, because I believe that chart is out of date for when the remote hose came out of the top cap, which does not perform as well as remote coming out of the body of shock, so I was told.
    Accutune can order them custom bodied.

20180329_153023.jpg
    20180329_152931.jpg

17. Mar 29, 2018 at 12:41 PM
    ARCHIVE

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    It could help me if you can send some Icon docs my way, or a link on their site. I know I looked before and found nothing, I didn't pursue it after that.

18. Mar 29, 2018 at 5:47 PM
    concentric_killa

concentric_killa Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 DBL Cab Taco
    +3.5 TC Long Travel DMZ Spring Under Nitro 4:56 Gears Custom Snorkel List Goes On..
    Jake, how much money do you want to spend?

For around 3K you could get the DMZ SUA, and run 14" bypasses if you don't want to cut your bed. You will have to just get shorter limit straps. Then one day you could cut your bed and run 16" bypasses. You would also need 1.5" wheel spacers (that is what I have) and I only rub a little at full stuffs

http://dmzfab.com/product/05-tacoma-spring-under-conversion-kit-standard-bed/

https://downsouthmotorsports.com/i-...k-reservoir-in-14-inch-travel-980-02-215.html

Dalandser likes this.
  19. Mar 29, 2018 at 6:00 PM
    Babyjake16

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2008 Super White Tacoma
    Well I just ordered some stuff from archive. And I’ll be getting my bypasses from icon for a decent price. Right now I just need to figure out if archives top mount will work with icons bypasses and if they do, I’ll order those and then I’ll just need leafs!

20. Mar 29, 2018 at 6:02 PM
    concentric_killa

concentric_killa Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 DBL Cab Taco
    +3.5 TC Long Travel DMZ Spring Under Nitro 4:56 Gears Custom Snorkel List Goes On..
    Go SUA. You won't be disappointed! Biggest thing I noticed is the lack of hitting any bumpstop lol. Uptravel for daze..

Products Discussed in

To Top