1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need Help With RV Towing... HELP!

Discussion in 'Towing' started by PPower05, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Sep 25, 2012 at 4:54 PM
    PPower05

PPower05 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Perry
    Ranson, WV
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5
    Hey guys,
    I have a 2010 DC TRD Off Road w/ a Towing Package (short bed). We are looking at purchasing a 29 foot Salem Ultra Light Travel trailer. It's dry weight is 4314, hitch weight is 434, has a cargo capacity of 3082. We do not anticipate using more than 10 gallons of water, and would estimate that we would have a wet, ready to roll weight of 5314 pounds.... Can I safely tow this, or do I need to look at a smaller trailer? I understand my max towing capacity is 6500 pounds, but I do not want to distroy my truck in the process of towing (I called toyota and they said "Your truck is capible of towing 6500 pounds, but is not adviseable that you are at your max towing limit....) I have read the towing bible. Thanks for anyone that can help!

2. Sep 25, 2012 at 5:02 PM
    RedDragonTaco

RedDragonTaco Knight Industies Toyota Tacoma

Member:
    Slc, UT
    Vehicle:
    2007 Double Cab TRD Sport
    Toytec 3" Ultimate w/ LR UCA's, 18" Rockstar rims, Nitto Grappler 285/65/18, OEM roof rack, foglight anytime mod, front bull bar and Smitty side steps, tonneau cover, debadged, BHLM, blacked out tail lights, stubby antenna, flowmaster
    29 ft and its dry weight is 4314, wow. There are 16-18 footers that run that heavy

3. Sep 25, 2012 at 6:42 PM
    Robertgeejr1

Robertgeejr1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Aorora, Ill, yeah!
    Vehicle:
    1996 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
    I have done all the hi-pro mods for a life time, since I got this truck at a great price, I will be happy with showroom new.
    If you will let me I will give you some advise. in my younger years my uncle owned bame trailers and I have delivered construction trailers and parts all over you state.....
    now I would say that that is just too much. I know its hard but you should have a safety margin of 20% for problems.
    with the physical size of the trailer, if you get caught in heavy rain and high winds thats a lot for the truck to control. plus, you would be pushing your truck hard, and that will ruin it.
    to be frank, if you are planning on doing alot of trailer towing, nothing beats a superduty.....
    man the first time my uncle trusted ford enough and got a 98 superduty, I pulled 16,000 lps up fancy gap in the fast lane!

4. Sep 25, 2012 at 8:15 PM
    tractng

tractng Well-Known Member

Member:
    So he defeats the purpose of safety by pulling it fast with a larger truck.:eek:

5. Sep 26, 2012 at 1:04 PM
    Robertgeejr1

Robertgeejr1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Aorora, Ill, yeah!
    Vehicle:
    1996 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
    I have done all the hi-pro mods for a life time, since I got this truck at a great price, I will be happy with showroom new.
    bud, I drove over 100,000 miles a year for 10 years all over this country, WITH-OUT a wreck.

Products Discussed in

To Top