1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need Help with shocks and struts for 6'' fabtech Lift

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas' started by Nolawall, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Nolawall

Nolawall [OP] "And there I was just minding my own business"

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2002 Dbl Cab Tacoma
    6" Fabtech Suspension Lift. K&N Air Filter Cobra 18 CB with 2 3' firestik II antennas
    I have a 6'' Fabtech lift on my truck. The rear shocks are leaking oil and they ned to be changed. I want to cahnge the struts out as well. My first question is how do the shocksrun for the Tacomas do I need to find a rear shock o six inches of lift and struts as well. How do you know what is the right ones to buy. Any recommnedations would be great as well. Not trying to spend alot just need something good quality. I put my 4 wheeler in the bed so the rear shocks need to be good. Thanks for the help

2. KPT

KPT sees what you did there.

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner
    Katskin leather interior, Satoshi grille, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75, rear leaf TSB, magnaflow exhaust, 18x9 BBS RW's, 275/65/18 Nitto TG's, black headlights, black taillights, Hella Supertones, weathertechs, EFX tri-fold tonneau, n-Fab steps
    Our trucks don't have struts, only shocks.

3. mikesdoublecab

mikesdoublecab LT Chase Truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Mohawk Mike
    Glendale, CA
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma DoubleCab V6 Prerunner
    Engage Offroad custom LT kit with King coilovers and bypasses, Deaver J59 leaf packs with custom 8 inch shackles and Bilstein 7100 12" travel shocks, 16x8 Eagle Alloy 137s, 285-75-16 BFG KM2s, custom front bumper and skid, Procomp H911 foglights, custom rear bumper and spare tire carrier, bed bar, Engage Offroad custom chase light rack, Icom V8000 radio
    rear stock stroke is 6.5" so with a 6" lift, you should be safe with a 12" travel shock...

on the average, 12'' stroke shocks are 16" to 17" compressed and 27" to 29" extended...

if you went with bilstein 7100s in a short body, you could rock some 14" stroke shocks and get them in a higher valving since you load the truck bed down...

for the front, since you have that big spacer that mounts on the top of the shock/spring assembly, any front shock will do...

if you have the money, you could get into a 12" travel coilover and elminate the shock spacer altogether...

below is my buddy's truck with a 4" pro comp drop bracket, but it gives you an idea on getting a longer coilover to eliminate the spacer...

[​IMG]

4. PLC721

PLC721 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Chandler, Az
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Double Cab
    See Build in Sig
    a 12" travel stem top was almost spot on for my truck

5. tacoma guy

tacoma guy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix Az.
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Prerunner TRD
    Bilstein 5100's set @ 0 with OME 883x coils up front . Viper Alarm. Wet Okole seat covers. WeatherTech Floor liners front and back. Oem Toyota chrome exhaust tip. American Outlaw Wheels (Buck shot). 265/70R16 Hankook Dynapro ATM's.
    To mikesdoublecab, You showed a pic of your buddys truck with the 4in. pro comp lift and the kings coilovers. can you ask your buddy the part number of the kings coilovers? I have the 4in pro comp lift also. It has the spacer on top of the coilover and I was looking into doing away with the spacer. Thanks.

6. mikesdoublecab

mikesdoublecab LT Chase Truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Mohawk Mike
    Glendale, CA
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma DoubleCab V6 Prerunner
    Engage Offroad custom LT kit with King coilovers and bypasses, Deaver J59 leaf packs with custom 8 inch shackles and Bilstein 7100 12" travel shocks, 16x8 Eagle Alloy 137s, 285-75-16 BFG KM2s, custom front bumper and skid, Procomp H911 foglights, custom rear bumper and spare tire carrier, bed bar, Engage Offroad custom chase light rack, Icom V8000 radio
    ya know, he doesn't know... he got them so long ago...

best bet, call King directly or Downsouth Motorsports and see what travel length coilovers will work in there...

it should be a 12" coilover...

7. tacoma guy

tacoma guy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix Az.
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Prerunner TRD
    Bilstein 5100's set @ 0 with OME 883x coils up front . Viper Alarm. Wet Okole seat covers. WeatherTech Floor liners front and back. Oem Toyota chrome exhaust tip. American Outlaw Wheels (Buck shot). 265/70R16 Hankook Dynapro ATM's.
    Thanks mikesdoublecab. I will do that!

To Top