1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need help with some wiring

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TRDProBuddy, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Jun 21, 2019 at 10:12 AM
    TRDProBuddy

TRDProBuddy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    MD (Kent Island)
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Pro (Inferno)
    Thank you very much for the explanation sir.

And one last thing, Pin 11 of the switch goes to pin 87 of the relay? And since I'm not using 87a, I should cap it off with some shrink tubing?

2. Jun 21, 2019 at 10:26 AM
    Larzzzz

Larzzzz Grande' Ricardo

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    MA
    Vehicle:
    '06 dclb 350+ kmiles
    Aux back up lights, Bed lights, Re-located trailer plug, Good dooby, a.k.a. jumper cable mod, Heated seats, back up camera,
    If you put your fused feed from the battery on to terminal 87 there is no need to do anything with 87a.

Taco Shepherd likes this.
  3. Jun 21, 2019 at 10:35 AM
    Taco Shepherd

Taco Shepherd Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Walt
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tan Tacoma Base Model
    Interior Mods: custom cluster, accent lights, wired stock backup camera to aftermarket radio, dye carpet and trim black Exterior mods: Headlight lenses and bulbs, fog lights, 3rd brake light, tail lights, bull bar, sport bar, restored sun damaged trim, more to come
    This is a really good hands on representation. If you still need any help with these relays, I'd suggest doing a quick Google search and read a bit. Relays are really simple once you understand what they do and how they do it.

They handle more amps than switches and that's why we use them on systems that pull more power. You just have to feed them power from the battery, ground them, a trigger wire from a switch, and a wire to the component you want to power. There is a coil inside the relay and when you activate the trigger wire, the coil pulls down and closes the circuit from the battery to the component.

The ground and trigger wire can be a low gauge wire as not much power will pass through them. Depending on distance and the power draw of the component will determine the gauge of wire needed for the component and battery wires. For your application, you probably only need 16-18 gauge. 2 usb ports should pull less than 5 amps.

Larzzzz[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Jun 21, 2019 at 10:40 AM
    TRDProBuddy

Member:
    MD (Kent Island)
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Pro (Inferno)
    Thank you both, I printed out some stuff to look at. Never really messed with relays as the LED Lights I have on my truck came with all the harnessing and relays already wired up

Thanks again

Taco Shepherd and Larzzzz like this.
  5. Jun 21, 2019 at 12:41 PM
    PzTank

PzTank Stuck in the Well

Member:
    Above the Notches
    Vehicle:
    ‘15 AC SR5 4X4 4.0 Auto
    ‘07 OR leather shift knob
    Taco Shepherd likes this.
  6. Jun 21, 2019 at 1:34 PM
    Taco Shepherd

Taco Shepherd Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Walt
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tan Tacoma Base Model
    Interior Mods: custom cluster, accent lights, wired stock backup camera to aftermarket radio, dye carpet and trim black Exterior mods: Headlight lenses and bulbs, fog lights, 3rd brake light, tail lights, bull bar, sport bar, restored sun damaged trim, more to come
    I needed this when I built my circuit. I did it all without a tutorial and spent many more hours than I needed to on it. I soldered many of my connections and my switches are wired through the firewall directly to my relays with no molex or weatherproof plugs. I will only add that the nylon loom is a pain in the butt to work with but the end results look fantastic.

PzTank[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Jun 21, 2019 at 3:47 PM
    TRDProBuddy

Member:
    MD (Kent Island)
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Pro (Inferno)
    PzTank likes this.
  8. Jun 21, 2019 at 5:08 PM
    TRDProBuddy

Member:
    MD (Kent Island)
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Pro (Inferno)
    Wow, very informative. Thank you so much for pointing me to this info

9. Jan 23, 2022 at 7:31 PM
    jbirt

jbirt New Member

Member:
    I hope I can get some help as your post directly relates to my problem. I just removed my factory Qi charger and replaced it with an Apple Magsafe charger using a PD adaptor for the USB C connection. All works great on the charging front but it semes that there are some interlocks on that factory connector. It has resulted in when I open my door, I have no instrument lights, smart key entry or rear view mirror. I am sure that there is something I need to do to jumper some of these wires on this harness or disconnect the harness completely for the factory charging. Any thoughts of what I need to do. Thanks so much.

10. Jan 24, 2022 at 7:43 AM
    TRDProBuddy

Member:
    MD (Kent Island)
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Pro (Inferno)
    Hey @jbirt, I have no clue what could be the issue as I installed my stuff onto a 2nd Gen and sounds like you have a 3rd Gen since you mentioned removing factory Qi Charger.

I basically added the Qi switch from a 3rd Gen and and my own Qi charger but only wired directly to the battery. I did not install it using any of the factory harnessing.

Sorry

11. Jan 24, 2022 at 9:14 AM
    jbirt

jbirt New Member

Member:
    Thanks for your response. To be clear, I am not using the factory harness. I tapped into the 12V wiring behind the cigarrette lighter, so I am tapped into the 12V. The factory harness is just tucked back. I did pull the fuse for that console when I did the wiring just so I would not short anything. I am wondering if there were any of those other wires in the harness that could have possibly shorted something. Do you have any idea what in the electronics would cut out the key locks, instrument panel, and rear view mirror upon entry and when the car is started everything seems to work.

Products Discussed in

To Top