1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

need help with turn signal bulb

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by taco man31, Nov 23, 2008.

1. Nov 23, 2008 at 5:49 PM
    taco man31

taco man31 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    hi guys. Anyone know where i can find a RED rear turn signal for my 2009 taco. Just having a hard time finding a red bulb that fits. (By the way, is this illegal?)

2. Nov 23, 2008 at 6:12 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Sounds to me like he wants his turn signal to match the brake light color? Factory turn signals are Amber.

3. Nov 23, 2008 at 6:15 PM
    pidro_el_pirata

pidro_el_pirata Well-Known Member

Member:

True, but there are plenty of cars out there that use brake lights as turn signals. IMHO it shouldn't be illegal. Change brake lights or headlights diff. colors should be, but not turn signal to red.

4. Nov 24, 2008 at 7:09 PM
    taco man31

taco man31 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:

Thanks guys for the help. Idk why toyota changed to all LED lights but left the turn signals with a bulb.

5. Nov 25, 2008 at 3:37 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    This is quite common. My Wifes Hond Accord has rear LED brake lights, and regular lights, but the turn and back up lights are incandesant. I guess it saves a few bucks, and multiplied by the thousands produced, it saves a lot of money.

6. Feb 25, 2010 at 2:17 PM
    twistax

twistax Toyota Freak

Member:
    Carlsbad NM
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma 4x4 Off-Road
    CaliRaised ditch mounts & Side Projecting pods
  7. Mar 5, 2010 at 9:06 AM
    Agent475

Agent475 "Mark It Zero"

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport
    Hood Struts, 3" Tuff Country Lift, Shortie Antenna, WeatherTechs, Tinted front windows, custom TRD seat covers, custom pedals, debadged, custom USMC badging, quasi-functional hoodscoop (i.e. I cut it open), black front Yota emblem, Tailgate Theft-Prevention mod, Horn Relocation mod, Old Man Emu Carrier Bearing Drop, Brighter Backup Lights Mod, Smittybilt Reciever Hitch Tow Point, currently working on Satoshi Grill Mod
    Here is some info from SuperBrightLEDs, which might explain why they were incandescent vs. LED.

Turn signal issues with LED bulbs

LED brake/tail lamps will not flash with thermal flasher units due to their extremely low current draw. Also, with stock flasher units, the turn signals may flash faster than normal (Hyper-Flash). These installations will require an electronic flasher unit, available in our car bulb shopping category (for some vehicles) or at your auto parts store. Try to find flashers designed to work with LED bulbs, they will say "LED compatible". Often HEAVY DUTY flashers will also work with LED bulbs.

We offer some LED Flashers in our Tail/Brake Turn Signal Bulb category but we do not know which one (if any) will fit your vehicle. You will have to compare the pin-out of your flasher with the pin-outs of the flashers we offer, to see if we have a match, BEFORE you order one. Sorry but we do not have a flasher application list or the expertise to tell you which of our flashers will fit your vehicle.

Another fix is the installation of Load Resistors which are wired across (in parallel with) the turn signal bulbs to simulate the load of a standard filament bulb. We also have these available in our car bulb shopping category.

8. Mar 5, 2010 at 2:51 PM
    Viet2100

Viet2100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Viet
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius 4T
    That's not the reason why manufacturers do not use LEDs as turn signals or reverse lights.

They do this to save $, as stated above. They just did the brake lights because the split second you get with LEDs and their "instant on" might save a few accidents. If you look at more expensive vehicles, they are all switching to full LED tail lights (turn signals, brake and reverse).

9. Mar 5, 2010 at 2:51 PM
    Viet2100

Viet2100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Viet
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius 4T
    That's not the reason why manufacturers do not use LEDs as turn signals or reverse lights.

They do this to save $, as stated above. They just did the brake lights because the split second you get with LEDs and their "instant on" might save a few accidents. If you look at more expensive vehicles, they are all switching to full LED tail lights (turn signals, brake and reverse).

I have a full LED tail light. It costed me $50 on top of the OEM LED tail lights, but it's well worth it.

Products Discussed in

To Top