1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need help

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Bradenadams88, May 16, 2018.

1. May 16, 2018 at 2:40 PM
    Bradenadams88

Bradenadams88 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Braden
    Vehicle:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma
    i have a 2000 Tacoma 3.4 v6 4x4 and looking to lift it up thinking about a 4in what’s the best brand to go to?

2. May 16, 2018 at 2:46 PM
    Hobbs

Hobbs Un-Known Member

Member:
    on U.S. Route 395 in California.
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off Road AC, AT, QuickSand
  3. May 16, 2018 at 2:47 PM
    Toy4me

Toy4me Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    NNJ
    Vehicle:
    '10 DCLB TRD Sport MGM
    Welcome to TW. Please change your thread title ASAP. This is a tight group of people and "HELP" in a thread title is reserved for members how are actually in trouble of some sort. Yes, we go out of out way to come get each other in emergencies. Proper title would be "need advice" or something like that. Ask for it and you will get it in abundance.

4. May 16, 2018 at 2:48 PM
    02hilux

02hilux Well-Known Member

Member:
    US of A
    Vehicle:
    crawl on PAVED ROAD only
  5. May 16, 2018 at 3:31 PM
    jbrandt

jbrandt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD Tacoma 4x4 DC
    King ext travel coils Total Chaos UCAs Sticker mod
    Many threads on the subject, many more that weren't posted above.

Here's my take, though:

>Answer the question of WHY you want a lift. Off-road performance? Or pavement princess/mall crawler (just want the look with bigger tires, etc...). This will guide you in one of many different directions on what works best for your application

>I don't like body lifts or block lifts (leaf spring blocks), but they can be useful depending on what you use your truck for and why you want a lift (i.e. mall crawler)

>Don't go 4 inches unless you get a bracket style lift (like the Procomp 6"). 3" is about all the front suspension geometry can take. Most of the time you need new upper control arms to get it aligned properly at 3" lift

>3" lift and you should have a diff drop kit to keep your CV angles in check (which often times requires modifying your skid plate). I would say get one even if you're at 2".

>Do NOT stack lifts (i.e. get a coilover lift, like the bilstein 5100s, then add a spacer for another 1") - no bueno...

>Despite what the manufacturer will tell you, the commercially available lift "kits" (procomp, rough country, etc...) are generally inferior (performance wise) to a paired set of good quality coilovers (fox, King, Icon) or shocks+springs (Bilstien, Old Man Emu), aftermarket upper control arms, and rear lift springs/shackles.

>best bang for your buck "lift kit" is a set of Bilstein 5100's and an add-a-leaf in the rear. You can re-use your stock springs. This can get you 2.5-3" for around $450ish. Enough to pretty easily fit 33's (might need to trim a bit).

>If you are considering replacing all your worn out springs too, consider the OME kit with shocks, springs (f/r) and extended rear brake line. You'll need a diff drop kit ($20-$30), too. Total of ~$1200 for essentially a completely new suspension.

Products Discussed in

To Top