1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need Help!

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Brossman, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Nov 29, 2018 at 9:21 PM
    Brossman

Brossman [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma DBL Cab 4x4 TRD w tow package
    I have a 2009 Tacoma Double Cab short bed 4x4 TRD w tow package. Its factory I believe right now. Bought it used. Has 16 inch stock rims with 265/70/16 tires. I am wanting to run 285s in a toyo or Cooper aggressive tread. I like that look. I only really offload when hunting or camping. Don't drive too many miles day to day but have some snow here. So with all that said here goes:

1. I am told to run that size tire I need to either do a leveling kit or a lift. But am also told not to go more than 2 inches. So what would be recommended? I don't need the best out there but have heard leveling kits are no good or ride rough day to day. Currently has Blisters on the truck that I believe are from the TRD package.

2. I am also looking into new rims. So should I go to a 17inch and why? Or can I get that look with a 16 inch rim?

3. If I stayed factory does anyone know the biggest, widest tire I can run?

Any help will be appreciated.

2. Nov 30, 2018 at 10:58 AM
    WSW3

WSW3 @willwitecki

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    '08 Tacoma DCSB TRD Sport
    Scratches, dents, and a lot of miles
    I believe 17 inch rims are required for TRD sport calipers and larger aftermarket calipers, but don't quote me on that.

Lifting over 2" isn't a bad thing, but you'll need new upper control arms. This is a decent expense, hence the advise you've been given.

You might want to consider why you want a wide tire. The rolling resistance and weight is going to make a big difference in MPG. Personally, I've never wished I had a wider tire and I have 255s. I believe you need to chop the cab mount at a minimum with 285's, even with a 3 inch lift. You may also have to get wheels with a specific backspacing so that you don't rub on the frame. I wouldn't go bigger than 32" tire on a stock setup, but even then, with certain wheel and tire combos you might rub.

Read around on the suspension forum, a lot of guys run 285's on here so there is a lot of information.

You can also contact Marie at Headstrong Offroad and she'll get you the setup you need.

Welcome to the forum.

Radarninja likes this.
  3. Nov 30, 2018 at 7:19 PM
    Hookedup

Hookedup Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    SOFLO
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB SPORT/ 2019 OR DCSB
    FOX 2.5 DSC/ICON RXT/SPC UCA
    I fit 285/65R18 (32.4x11.5) with a 2” leveling kit up front and 1” block in back.. minor trimming (plastic) no rub except at full turn over a hard bump..

Leveling kits are ok if you want to trade off a comfortable ride for cosmetics. Just don’t expect any performance off road. The ride is fine on smooth surfaces, but as soon as I get into a bumpy section on the road it sucks.. off road.. don’t even think about it. I’m changing to coilovers and a leaf pack for the rear. I’d suggest to go that route to gain some ride quality and off road comfort.. fox makes an affordable 2.0 coilover @HeadStrong Off-Road Offers a decent price.. Bilstein is another affordable route to go. Just educate yourself on how companies valve their shocks.. they are designed for different applications.

If you looks is all your going for then slap a leveling kit on her and be done with it..

Good luck

Radarninja likes this.
  4. Nov 30, 2018 at 8:43 PM
    Tacoknife

Tacoknife Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    WV
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma Sport 4DLB 4x4
    DBcustomzfab Grill
    I’d say 285s are going to rub Without a Cab Mount Chop, If you are just going for the lifted look get the leveling kit, but if you want better performance, better handling, and a all around better suspension than your stock set up, get a quality suspension set up!! You can start with 5100 Bilstein and go all the way up to Kings.

I like the cooper stt maxx tires or cooper st pros !

17” Ray 10s for wheels or 8s

And Kings C/Os You just can’t beat a king setup.

5. Dec 11, 2018 at 1:52 AM
    Brossman

Brossman [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma DBL Cab 4x4 TRD w tow package
    Thanks for all the replies and advice. I had decided to just get some replacement tires for now and was pricing them at local shops around and a small tire shop just happen to have parts for a Tacoma ready and waiting to go on another persons truck who couldn’t get there for three weeks. I got 285/70/17 Cooper AT3 XLT tires, Mayham Prodigy gunmetal black rims, and the 2” leveling kit all done that same day and cheaper than any other local place priced out for just rims and tires. So figured later I can do biltsteins and a Dakar leaf in back. For now it’s the look I wanted.

Tacoknife likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top