1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need MP3 Adapter Recommendations

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by enjikari, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Nov 21, 2011 at 6:55 AM
    enjikari

enjikari [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Woolmarket, MS
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner 4.0V6 SR5
    Hello again everyone. I have a 2005 toy and, as you all know, it only has a stock CD player/radio. I know there are MP3 stereos out there, even MP3 CD players. However, for now, I'm looking for a simple MP3 player solution. The kind that plays through your stereo's radio station? I'm wondering if any of you have had experience with these and, if so, could recommend some. I already have my MP3 player, I just need the adapter/setup, and am looking for feedback on some good ones. Thanks, and take care!

2. Nov 21, 2011 at 7:08 AM
    FL TRD

FL TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    05 Prerunner SR5 TRD
    There might be some good ones that work through your radio but the ones that i have tried dont work well. Im going to try and do the AUX mod myself.

3. Nov 21, 2011 at 9:05 AM
    Camshaft

Camshaft Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Camshaft
    Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma SR5 2.7 2wd
    GROM ipod, usb, 3.5mm input
    GROM makes a solid product to adapt your ipod, there are a few different gadgets available from them. I have the ipod charger style hook up but wish i would have gotten the 3.5mm in addition so im not only charging my ipod 2% every time i go for a short drive.
    It hooks up to your trucks 6-disc plug behind ur radio.
    It was about $120 but well worth it IMO

4. Nov 21, 2011 at 10:32 PM
    enjikari

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Woolmarket, MS
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner 4.0V6 SR5
    Heh, so far I see "they suck" and "don't use that, use this". I'm getting the vibe that these adapters aren't well thought of :rain:

5. Nov 21, 2011 at 10:40 PM
    MurfsTacoma

MurfsTacoma Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Riverside
    Vehicle:
    05 Double Cab 4x4 TRD
    Grill, PushBar, BHLM, K&N, Delta 50 Flowmaster, A.R.E cover, 5100's
    Cheap Mod: DIY AUX Input in a 2005-2008 Factory Head Unit

Give it a shot. I tried it,was skeptical, but it works and in my opinion, sounds great. I just had to purchase the 3.5 mm audio jack from radio shack. Cost less than $5

6. Nov 21, 2011 at 10:43 PM
    jordando89

jordando89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jordan
    idaho
    Vehicle:
    2008 white double cab long bed sport 4x4
    3in lift painted sport wheels
    i did this it was easy and works good

7. Nov 21, 2011 at 11:14 PM
    enjikari

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Woolmarket, MS
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner 4.0V6 SR5
    Oh man how I've craved an aux input like all my friend's vehicles have. Everytime I ride with someone and they have that (with an MP3 player/iPod hooked into it) I say to them "man if I had that for MY stereo, I'd be set."

8. Nov 22, 2011 at 7:13 AM
    Camshaft

Camshaft Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Camshaft
    Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma SR5 2.7 2wd
    I opted for the GROM because it displays song names/artists on the head unit. It also allows me to switch tracks using the headunit. Sometimes i drive for 6+ hours so the charger hook up was another thing i wanted (what good is a dead ipod?)

IMO on my 2008 5lug SR5 it is a nice addition.

It did glitch a couple times after i first installed it. I unplugged and plugged it back in and it reset itself both times. It hasn't done it since then and that was 4 months ago.

The 3.5mm hack looks like a fun little project and i considered doing it, however the grom was fast, plug and play, and i really like having the song info and controls on the headunit. I dont think you can go wrong either way, it just depends on how much time you want to invest and exactly what plug/play options and features you want.

Just my 2cents

9. Nov 22, 2011 at 7:36 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    USA Spec makes a great Ipod adapter. It plugs into the back of the stereo and you can run the wires where ever you wish to keep the Ipod out of sight. I keep mine in the glove box and everything is controlled using the Tacoma's head unit. It also charges the Ipod while it's connected. I've had one in my 2007 since it was new and I've had 0 issues with it. It cost me about $120 almost 4 years ago.

10. Nov 23, 2011 at 8:28 PM
    enjikari

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Woolmarket, MS
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner 4.0V6 SR5
    I'm getting more interested in this mod. So, lemme get this straight: this is a mod that you hardwire into your existing stero, it's easy to install (plug n' play, as you say?), and will work with any MP3 player? The last part is critical because if it's a mod solely for iPods only, it might be useless to me. I have a regular ol' RCA 8Gb MP3 player and I HATE iPods. Would this still be the mod for me?

11. Nov 24, 2011 at 5:43 AM
    Camshaft

Camshaft Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Camshaft
    Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma SR5 2.7 2wd
    Yes the Grom is plug and play. I didn't have to cut any wires or solder anything. It is a simple plug that goes into the back of your head unit where the optional 6 disc changer would have plugged in. The one thing extra you may need is a couple zipties just to hold cables and the box in place. I found a nice spot above the gloverbox inside the dash to keep the grom.
    The 3.5mm hook up will allow you to play your music yes, but it will not allow you to use your head unit controls or display as the 3.5mm connection conveys an audio signal only. If you only wish to use a 3.5mm plug and plan on never getting an ipod then you might want to just do the cd player hack if you have the time and save yourself 100 bucks. Sorry i didnt realize you don't do ipods.

12. Nov 24, 2011 at 6:31 AM
    enjikari

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Woolmarket, MS
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner 4.0V6 SR5
    Bizzam! This is exactly what I needed! Just ordered, and will post feedback soon as I install and get it running. Now I just need a guide on how to get into the console and to the stereo unit, but I'm sure there are plenty of how-to's for that on here. This board has everything :cool:

13. Nov 25, 2011 at 6:53 AM
    Camshaft

Camshaft Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Camshaft
    Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma SR5 2.7 2wd
    Awesome to hear! It's pretty easy to take the dash apart. first pull/pry the head unit surounding, it'll come off easilly. Then pull/pry the heater controls. Then you can see your 4 bolts holding the head unit in. Careful about the sharp bits on the back of the head unit that scratched up the interior of my truck ( just wrap a cloth or something around the back of it) :rolleyes:

14. Nov 26, 2011 at 7:09 AM
    upthemaiden

upthemaiden Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Pittsburgh PA
    Vehicle:
    06 Access cab SR5
    Just bought it!
    and in case people didn't notice. The link whippersnapper posted has the grom unit on clearance, only $45 instead of $65. I planned on doing this later this spring or summer after I get a new phone that plays pandora, but for that price I just bought one and I'll mess with it later! I just need to find a good flush mount 3.5mm jack to mount on the dash so I don't have cables hanging out from behind a panel, something like this.... http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.php?productid=10338#tabsanchor

15. Nov 26, 2011 at 12:03 PM
    Mxpatriot

Mxpatriot Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 AP LT and Locked
    I've been really happy with my GROM unit. It charges the iPhone (3G), it allows you to change the song with the buttons on the head unit, and has great quality sound.

16. Dec 9, 2011 at 12:02 PM
    enjikari

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Woolmarket, MS
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner 4.0V6 SR5
    I have this part ordered and waiting on my kitchen table for when I get home from Puerto Rico. Can't wait to get it installed. Any fellow owners, if you have any "hey the install instructions don't say, but" tips, quirks, or advive, lemme know. Should be an easy install (plug n' play, from what I'm reading/being told) but, you know how things can go. Don't want any bad surprises, lol. :D

17. Dec 9, 2011 at 12:09 PM
    hawker25

hawker25 Well-Known Member

Member:
    colorado
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad
    I have a parrot mki9200 and I love it. Also great quality mic for Bluetooth phones. Has a 3.5 a USB and iPhone connector. Might be a little out of the op's budget but I recommend for anybody who doesn't want to change to aftermarket head unit.

18. Dec 9, 2011 at 1:05 PM
    enjikari

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Woolmarket, MS
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner 4.0V6 SR5
    Got'cha ;) Installation headache story?

19. Dec 9, 2011 at 3:35 PM
    Cape Codder

Cape Codder Native Son

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Hangin' Out in the Atlantic
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport 4x4 Access Cab 4.0L V6 Auto - Silverstreak Mica
    SOS Concepts Sliders waiting for POR-15 Rust Abatement (Spring 2016), OEM Silver Tube Steps 'til then OME 2.5" Suspension w/885 Coils & Dakars / LR UCA's w/SpecRide Bushings / Lifetime Alignment Wheeler's "Super Bump" Bump Stops Front & Rear / OME Carrier Bearing Drop / 2.5° Axle Shims (Eliminated Vibration) Moog Greaseable LCA Cam Bolts / ToyTech Sway Bar Relocate Kit / Stainless Steel Extended Brake Lines (Front & Rear) TIRES - LT275/70R17 (32.2") Firestone Destination A/T's (and Matching Spare) mounted on (5) 17”x8” (4.5” BS) Machined Aluminum Alloy, with Light Gunmetal Accents, Konig SixShooter Wheels with Hofmann Anthracite Adhesive Power Weights / McGard 65002 Chrome SplineDrive Lug Nuts / Cloned Schraeder EZ Sensor 33000 TPMS SNOW TIRES - Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 - P255/75-17 (32.1") mounted on Stock TRD Sport Wheels (5.5” BS) w/BORA 1" Wheel Spacers (to = 4.5” BS), Wheels Locks & OEM Lug Nuts Wheel Master 36" Stainless Steel Mesh Spare Tire Inflator/Checker attached to Rear Bumper / Spare Tire Lock TRD Skid Plate / Husky Mud Flaps / Redline Tuning Hood Struts / UltraGauge / Frame Hole Plugs / OEM Chrome Exhaust Tip Salex SLX102 - '05-'13 Tacoma GloveBox & Console Organizers Combo Set / GRID-IT (Console Cover Organizer) Color Matched SATOSHI Grill w/ Individual Letters Toyota Emblem (from ‘86 Toyota Land Cruiser) Hella Fogs on Elusive Elements Light Bar mounted behind Grill / Relocated Horns & Outside Temperature Sensor SilverStar zXe Headlights / SilverStar Fogs / Upper & Lower Color Matched Eyelids / LED's @ Dome, Maps, Lic Plate & 3rd Brake / 866 Foglight Lamps for Back-Up Lights WeatherTech Headlight & Foglight Protection / AutoBahnd RoadBlock (3M) Paint Protection System on Front End & Tailgate Avid Hitch Step Color Match Powdercoated / Avid LightBar Color Match Powdercoated / DIY Front Plate Holder mounted on AVID Light Bar (NO Bumper Holes) Emblems DeBadged / CBoy808's Silver OME EMU, Medium Gray Mall Rated, TRD Skid & Matte Black US Flag Decals SockMonkey Medium Gray Shadow Only Bedside, Door, Hood Scoop & Tailgate Decals DeBadged Leer 100LX Cap w/ Adventure Pkg including Thule 48” & 60” AeroBar Locking Removable Racks, Removable Front Window & Rear Door Remote Lock Charcoal/Blk Wet Okoles (front & rear) w/Front Seat Back Waterproof Zippered Pockets, Front Pistol Pockets & Seat Heaters / Drop Stop Seat Wedge Fillers 6 CD Changer w/SubWoofer (TRD Sport OEM) / BluLogic Hands Free (Blue Tooth) / Lutron Maestro Pico Remote Control for Driveway Floods Pro-Fit & Pro-Clip Device Holders for Cell Phone & GPS / Beltronics RX 65 Blue Detector / Garmin 885T GPS 30% Tint on Driver/Passenger Windows / WeatherTech Dark Front Window Deflectors / AutoMate AM-7 Alarm w/Remote Start WeatherTech FloorLiners (Front & Rear) / WeatherTech All Weather Mats (Over Front Liners) TRD "Offroad" Front Recovery Hook (Color Matched) / 2" x 30' & 3" x 30' Recovery Straps ELITE OffRoad 2" Receiver Hitch Shackle / Daystar Black Shackle Isolator / LifeLong Locks Class 5 Locking Hitch Pin Viair 00088 88P Portable Air Compressor / Rockford 12,000mah, 200/400 Amp, Portable Power Source & Mini Jump Starter Pop&Lock PL5305 Manual Tailgate Lock w/Color Matched Handle / Driver's Door Keytechniques Keyhole Cover OEM Bed Mat / 4 Extra Military Issue Bed "D" Rings Attached with Bed Bolts / 4 Extra Bed Rail Tiedowns & 2 Mini Tiedowns H3R Performance Halguard Halotron® 1 (Clean Agent) - HG250C 2.5lb Chrome Fire Extinguisher and Extreme Duty Quick Release Bracket (Mounted in Bed) H3R Performance Halguard Halotron® 1 (Clean Agent) - HG100C 1.4lb Chrome Fire Extinguisher (In Cab Back Door Pocket) H3R Performance MX500R - 5lb Dry Chemical Fire Extinguisher w/ Vehicle Mount (On Cab Back Floor, Not Yet Mounted in Bed) ResQMe GB0-RQMTWIN-O Orange Keychain Version of the Original LifeHammer (Hanging Within Reach in Cab) FogLight Anytime / Differential Breather / A/C Condensate Drain / Tailgate Hoseclamp Anti-Theft Mods Toyota Extra Care Platinum Vehicle Service Agreement (VSA) – 8 Year / 125,000 Miles TSB's: Transmission TSB / Blower Motor TSB / Steering Intermediate Shaft Bushing TSB 90L Accelerator Pedal D0L Recall / Driver & Passenger Seat Belts Recall / Inspect Wheels & Tires "BOB" Recall The “TW EMPTY UR WALLET MOD” and a Pile of Stuff Waitin' for Install
    [​IMG]

I've got a couple of these I've used for years
    Charge the iPod and transmit to selectable FM Stations
    They're 4 of 5 Stars on Amazon, and still available
    They're an old model that I bought 4-5 years ago
    They've worked good for me, but obviously not CD quality, but they are digital
    That's about the extent of my experience with 'em.
    Good Luck
    Links:
    Amazon
    Overstock
    Google Search for "kensington 33199 digital fm transmitter"

CC

20. Dec 9, 2011 at 6:31 PM
    myname150

myname150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have one from the iTrip folks. FM transmitters can be hard to use if your area has a cluttered radio spectrum. :(

Products Discussed in

To Top