1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need opinions on first handgun/home defense

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by jonny, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Aug 26, 2011 at 9:17 AM
    TacoTabe

TacoTabe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Northeast PA
    Vehicle:
    '93 pickup
    You dont hear these stories on National news networks, because it isnt national news. There is a story on the local news here in South Florida almost once a week of someone using a firearm to protect themselves.

Just beacuse the news of these events doesnt travel all the way to Canada doesnt mean it isnt happening.

Also, as Tiger touched on, there is not necessarily a correlation between living in a 'dangerous' area and being in danger of someone breaking into your house. In fact, it's almost the opposite.

Most burglaries occur in locations where there is stuff worth stealing- nice houses, nice stuff = more danger of burlaries.

Alarms dont prevent burlgaries. Sorry to burst your bubble.

And bars are a fire/safety hazard.

2. Aug 26, 2011 at 9:19 AM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    I stopped recommending shotguns, because people with still continue to investigate that noise they heard without calling the cops...and a shotgun is a terrible weapon to be clearing a house with

overall, yes a shotgun is best...IF you're going to do it right and bunker down in your bedroom and call 911

and screw that draw warn shoot garbage

3. Aug 26, 2011 at 9:21 AM
    rleeharris

rleeharris "Old Timer," compliments of 11Taco2.7

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tundra Crew Max TRD Off Road
    ^This. Happens all the time in San Antonio. Home/Business owner takes out a bad guy with a firearm. I applaud every time I hear this kind of news. It just doesn't make national news, unless of course your Joe Horn in Houston. I love that guy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Horn_shooting_controversy

4. Aug 26, 2011 at 9:25 AM
    brs127s

brs127s Well-Known Member

Member:
    O'Fallon, MO
    Vehicle:
    04 D-Cab 4x4 Limited TRD
    TRD Headers, Aero Turbine AT2525XL Deckplate Mod, TRD tranny cooler, King Coilovers, LR UCAs, Alcan 5 Leaf springs and Bilstein 5100s, Shrockworks front bumper, CBI rear bumper.

There was a case not too long ago in a small town south of St. Louis, MO where a man broke into an elderly woman's walk-in basement, went upstairs and raped her. He came back a week later and broke in again with the intent to rape her again. Only this time she was prepared for any break-ins. She sat at the top of the basement steps with a 12 gauge shotgun, once she heard the noise from him breaking in. When he started to open the basement door at the top of the steps, she shot him in the abdomen with a load of birdshot. She let him bleed to death before she called the police. No charges were files against her.

5. Aug 26, 2011 at 9:26 AM
    rleeharris

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Good for her!

6. Aug 26, 2011 at 9:30 AM
    brs127s

brs127s Well-Known Member

Member:
    O'Fallon, MO
    Vehicle:
    04 D-Cab 4x4 Limited TRD
    TRD Headers, Aero Turbine AT2525XL Deckplate Mod, TRD tranny cooler, King Coilovers, LR UCAs, Alcan 5 Leaf springs and Bilstein 5100s, Shrockworks front bumper, CBI rear bumper.

If I remember from my C&C class correctly, the Missouri C&C law says you have to give a verbal warning before firing.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong.

7. Aug 26, 2011 at 9:33 AM
    Fink

Fink Motorboatin' SOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 4x4
    WeatherTechs, 265/75-16 DuraTracs, ATX Mojave Teflon Wheels, ARE V-Series Shell
    I would also recommend a shotgun.

A huge fear of mine is that while firing off rounds from my Sig (9mm) in self-defense (which I hope never happens), those rounds end up making their way into a neighbor's house/car/etc...

With that being said, I live in an apartment...so not only is the need for home defense less probable, it is also an even scarier place to think about having to use my gun.

Before worrying about any of that, I too recommend going in and actually putting your hands on all different kinds of guns, just to see which one you are the most comfortable with. Education is more important than what gun you have.

Good luck and definitely post back up with what you decide on!

Fink

8. Aug 26, 2011 at 9:33 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    The guy I shot won't tell the police I didn't warn him. He should have known being shot and killed could be a part of his profession.

The proper ammo is very important, which is why I mentioned it earlier. Just having a gun isn't the end of it. You don't want ammo that will travel to your neighbors home. My hollow points won't travel through or nearly as far as my practice rounds.

9. Aug 26, 2011 at 9:36 AM
    JimBeam

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra

maybe it's different here, but apartments here are far from immune from break ins

10. Aug 26, 2011 at 9:40 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    ^ maybe there are so many more opportunities before they reach his home. Or he may be on the top floor.

11. Aug 26, 2011 at 9:42 AM
    Fink

Fink Motorboatin' SOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 4x4
    We're not immune here by any means - the location of my particular apartment makes it less likely to get burglarized, though. The entire complex is locked down pretty tight (they would have to either go in through the office or follow a resident in) and I am on the interior with windows that are blocked by pretty thick shrubbery. There quite a few cameras around, as well.

However, there are a ton of units in my complex that are readily accessible from the street (one of which is a tad sketch) and I am just waiting for the day somebody busts into one of those.

My girlfriend made it very clear that she didn't want to live in the ones on the ground floor right off the street...and I totally understand why.

Fink

12. Aug 26, 2011 at 9:43 AM
    JimBeam

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    :thumbsup:

13. Aug 26, 2011 at 9:45 AM
    Fink

Fink Motorboatin' SOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 4x4
    Not to hijack, but, do you know if apartments generally follow the same rules as homes when it comes to the law of protecting yourself and property? Some states refer to it as the Castle Doctrine, I guess.

Somebody starts messing with my window clearly trying to pry it open or break it and I shoot him in the face, for example?

Fink

14. Aug 26, 2011 at 9:48 AM
    JimBeam

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    dunno the rules in florida...and im not a lawyer

BUT i wouldnt shoot someone based solely on them messing with my window

15. Aug 26, 2011 at 9:50 AM
    Fink

Fink Motorboatin' SOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 4x4
    Fair enough.

I'm from Arkansas...you could practically shoot someone for looking at you wrong if they were close enough to you or your home.

Fink

16. Aug 26, 2011 at 9:51 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Maybe knock on the window with the gun instead of shooting through. However Florida's gun laws are in favor of the home owner.

17. Aug 26, 2011 at 9:53 AM
    Fink

Fink Motorboatin' SOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 4x4
    My example was exaggerated at best, obviously.

I would definitely let him know what was about to happen before I wasted a round.

Fink

18. Aug 26, 2011 at 10:00 AM
    waterwolf603

waterwolf603 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 v6 4x4
    springfield xd 40 match barrell is the way to go for sure, both my girlfriends father and brother have one it is a great daily carry has a ton of knock down power and in my opinion is the best round for personal defense. I have a smith and wesson 40 myself but it might be time to upgrade to the xd.

19. Aug 26, 2011 at 10:01 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Obviously. But a good for instance. Its hard to know exactly what the law will allow you to do to protect your home. I will indeed shoot to kill but I will have to be certain that the person entering my home was violent. I take it he intends to do harm if he enters my home while I am sleeping. I don't intend to be a willing victim. Worst case scenario I provide time for my family to remove themselves from the situation, I intend to be a handful to say the least.

20. Aug 26, 2011 at 10:04 AM
    rleeharris

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    I had an XDm for awhile. Very nice weapon; comparable with Glocks. I just decided to build my Glock collection because I like the interchangeability of parts/mags that I was used to through years of owning Glocks.

Products Discussed in

To Top