1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need opinions on first handgun/home defense

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by jonny, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Aug 26, 2011 at 11:38 AM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    true to rlee's post teach your wife! i did mine and she can shoot her ass off lol! 20 yard moving steel she puts almost every round on. you can never train enough also teach her to clean it. i'm still working on this one and its a pain in the ass lol apparently i'm the cleaning lady after we shoot for some reason ..

2. Aug 26, 2011 at 11:38 AM
    jgwheeler17

jgwheeler17 I'm a zit. Get it?

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab TRD Off-Road 4x4
    neglect, mostly.
    i read the first page and part of the second and skipped here, so my apologies if someone has addressed what im about to say, but whatever gun you get, make sure your wife knows how to use it. most importantly that she is comfortable with it.
    my dad was shot in the eye with a bb gun at a young age and i wouldn't say it "traumatized" him, but i didn't grow with him being really gun savvy i guess you could say. however as me and my brother grew up we enjoy hunting and shooting and have always been responsible and knowledgeable of guns and own quite a few. now that we've all moved out, ive realized that neither of them are very knowledgeable on how to defend themselves if the need arises (we live in rural area at a dead end road known for drug deals and the like from time to time. hell my dog got stolen a few months ago). that being said, as my mother is home alone a lot i have been teaching her how to use my shotgun. women just don't catch on to guns or remember what you showed them last time. every couple of weekends when im home i have another gun seminar with my mother . .. "no, you hold this button down here, NO not the trigger! . . . yes, just hold that down, pump it back just like the movies, one goes in and now youre good. . . . . NO! the safety is that button!!" lol.

but still she's scared to death every time she holds it and it worries me that if the need was to arise she wouldn't remember how to use it. . . all that rambling and pointless story telling was just me trying to drive home the point that your wife being comfortable with the weapon is the most important thing. ok then, i'll stop now. :D

3. Aug 26, 2011 at 11:40 AM
    mcdowell

mcdowell My name is Mudd

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    mobile al
    Vehicle:
    2011 prerunner SR5
    2in Toytec leveling kit TSB 4 leafpack 130w KC driving lights Wsetin 3 tab lightbar Black headlights Trex eyelids TRD sport wheels Firestone MT Hood protector Vent visors Tube stepbars Colormatch grille
  4. Aug 26, 2011 at 11:42 AM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    another fact is that glock pioneered the battle tupper ware hand guns in the early 1980's. they pretty much invented the safe action mechanism that has found it's way onto so many other pistols.

if you are going to get a striker fired weapon it should be a glock and if you want a da/sa weapon hk makes a damn fine gun as does fn the fnp 45 is an excellent weapon. my next piece will be the fnp tactical 15 rounds of big boy .45 ammo yikes it gives me the goose bumps!

5. Aug 26, 2011 at 11:42 AM
    newertoy

newertoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    East Tn
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 extra cab
    2" lift AAL and Bilstiens-front-rear,front diff drop. main drive drop
    Get a --Kimber .45--you may be able to find a used one.
    ONE SHOT -thats all you will need.
    Its a two hander.
    Shot guns are more intimadating--should be able to get reasonalbly good one for 500-new.

6. Aug 26, 2011 at 11:44 AM
    jonny

jonny [OP] Betty White Edition Heep ZJ

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Wifey is a no go on teaching her. She is somewhat against the idea of having a gun in the house. I explained what "could" happen and she lightened up and gave me the ok :laugh:
    Maybe once I buy one and get down to the range a few times she will gain interest. (hope so)
    In the mean time...any intruder will have to deal with her Peruvian & Mexican temper. May god have mercy on the intruder :rofl: jk

7. Aug 26, 2011 at 11:44 AM
    Aggie97

Aggie97 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner
    custom tan leather seats, bed track system bike rack, Vision Warrior wheels, smittybilt nerf bars, Extang BlackMax tonneau cover.
    I certainly respect everyone's own opinion...especially with guns as there are so many options. Shooter fatigue can be an issue if you're firing a whole lot of rounds at the range, but won't be for home defense.

I've never had the gun jam on me.

Bottom line is get something you're comfortable with, and learn to use it well.

You can always get a Bond Snake Slayer (worth looking up). It's a deringer style, so it's very small, but shoots a small shotgun style ammo that fires 3 small slugs and shotgun pellits. My hands were shaking first time I fired it.

8. Aug 26, 2011 at 11:46 AM
    rleeharris

rleeharris "Old Timer," compliments of 11Taco2.7

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tundra Crew Max TRD Off Road
    I have been shooting guns since I was 7; handguns since I was 11. I have been trained and carried a sidearm as a cop for 11 years (Travis County Deputy Sheriff and early in my USAF career as a Security Policeman). I was a competition shooter for 2 years. My point to this is my wife, with a little training, and my rather mediocre tutelage, is as good a shot as I am; frankly (I would not admit this to her! :), she is better than me. She is good--damn, she is so good that I have begged her to get into IPSC or IDPA. She is that good. I think the fact that she is super-athletic and only 5' tall, her low center-of mass and athletic build allows her extreme control of her reflexes and steady, focused aim. She never fails to impress everyone on the firing line at our local range.

9. Aug 26, 2011 at 11:47 AM
    tacoriffic

tacoriffic Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Rhode Island
    Clarion CX609 HU, Satoshi Grill, More to come
    This thread is just what I needed to read. I am in the same boat, ready to that make first purchase. I appreciate the in depth responses regarding the topic.

Anyways, I have a friend who is also interested in that first purchase. We were talking and it seems like we are on different pages in regards to how a home defense situation will go down and safety using the weapon. I said it will be quick and at close range. He thinks the "robber" will just stand there at take a hit. Then told me how he keeps a wooden shotgun cut out under the bed to scare off the attacker. And how he can just hit the person with the stock of the fake weapon just willy-nilly.

Now I have the belief that there is a high chance that the person breaking in will be armed in some way, with a blade or fire arm. If that attacker draws a gun, someone is getting shot, and it won't be the attacker in this case. I told him that no matter how the situation goes down when you draw a "real" firearm for defense, LIVES WILL CHANGE. Using a fake weapon is dumb in my option, the other guy doesn't know its fake. You should also be trained to deal with the gravity of the situation after it plays out.

On the topic of having a shotgun. I have a narrow hallway in my house, there is no way I will be able to properly wield a weapon like that. Either investigating that noise of broken glass or meeting the attacker in that space. So the layout of the home is another thing to consider.

Final topic- I am also considering 9mm in the XD and M&P. But what about the S&W SD series?

10. Aug 26, 2011 at 11:49 AM
    rleeharris

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    I shot a Snake Slayer once on the range... wow, fantastic. I love the fact that Bond Arms has so many interchangeable barrels, and are hand made. Their quality is second only to Freedom Arms IMO, which are the industry standard for revolvers.

11. Aug 26, 2011 at 11:54 AM
    Trachito

Trachito Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Orleans
    ha! it's cute. gonna have to see if i can get my hands on one to shoot it. it shoots all the rounds at once?

12. Aug 26, 2011 at 11:57 AM
    Aggie97

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner
    custom tan leather seats, bed track system bike rack, Vision Warrior wheels, smittybilt nerf bars, Extang BlackMax tonneau cover.
    Holds 2 rounds...and you don't have to be that great of a shot to hit a target...with at least some of it.

13. Aug 26, 2011 at 12:02 PM
    rleeharris

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Glad you found some of these responses useful... as for your first purchase, I would take some other poster's responses and see if your local range offers rentals that way you can "test drive" a specific weapon. If not, I think you will find that most semi-autos are really very much alike nowadays. The technology and engineering is so well developed that you are really just choosing a weapon based on personal appeal. Glock, S&W, Sig Sauer, Kimber, Beretta, Springfield, and even some more affordable manufacturers such as Taurus and EAA/Tanfoglio--all offer excellent reliable handguns. It's not apples and oranges, it's apples vs. apples. It's all about personal preference and what feels good to you. Each of the manufacturers I mention above have excellent reputations and everyone who owns a handgun usually defends their weapon as the best (for me it's Glocks based on personal experience); we each have biases.

Whatever weapon you choose, you may find it's not the right one for you in the long run. Eventually, you'll find one you will be happy with. Short of test firing each gun, just go to a good gun store and hold each weapon in your hand and get a feel for it. Think about how you will choose to use it, especially if you choose to seek a concealed carry permit. Just remember, the guns will be unloaded so the weight will not be an accurate measure of a gun when loaded with a full magazine.

EDIT: Stay away from Hi-Point, Star, Diamondback, and Kahr. I know, I know, some people love Kahrs, but they are notorious for feed problems and misaligned sites. They also have a reputation for shitty customer service (I know this from personal experience too).

14. Aug 26, 2011 at 12:03 PM
    rleeharris

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    No, it does not shoot all rounds at once.

15. Aug 26, 2011 at 12:11 PM
    cruzr13

cruzr13 Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    '10 MGM Sport DBL Cab 4x4
    get a judge then you have ammo options. .45 long colt, bird shot, buck shot....and its fun as hell to shoot

16. Aug 26, 2011 at 12:15 PM
    Fink

Fink Motorboatin' SOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 4x4
    WeatherTechs, 265/75-16 DuraTracs, ATX Mojave Teflon Wheels, ARE V-Series Shell
    [​IMG]

Fink

17. Aug 26, 2011 at 1:56 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    eh

ive responded to calls where it didnt

A lot of folks seem centered solely on the concealed carry options and compact/subcompact weapons

OP, i think i read where you said you wont be carrying the gun and it'll be a home use only deal

Buy a full sized gun...it'll more than likely fit your hands better, and be heavier and have a longer barrel...which all will aid in adding to your accuracy

do not buy solely on caliber

Buy what you can and will shoot reliably and will practice with

practice practice practice...take some classes...practice some more

find a range that will allow more than static paper killing...run around before shooting to get your heartbeat elevated to simulate high stress...

18. Aug 26, 2011 at 1:59 PM
    Aggie97

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner

They should make a resort/retreat where guests get to do all the types of shooting, obsticles, trying of different guns that they get to do on Top Shot.

19. Aug 26, 2011 at 2:16 PM
    socal4x

socal4x Well-Known Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    '16 MGM DCSB OR 4x4 6MT
    x 200! ...and nothing you own (besides your life or that of your family) is worth killing someone over if it can at all be avoided.

20. Aug 26, 2011 at 2:19 PM
    socal4x

socal4x Well-Known Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    '16 MGM DCSB OR 4x4 6MT

Hollowpoints? If they were shooting ball ammo it can go through-through. Depends where the hit is though. I'm no expert, but I shot a javelina once with a .45 at close range and it didn't kill it, went straight through.

Products Discussed in

To Top