1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need opinions on first handgun/home defense

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by jonny, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Sep 14, 2011 at 2:55 AM
    TacoTabe

TacoTabe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Northeast PA
    Vehicle:
    '93 pickup

For the love of god, folks, this isn't Compton. Its called a magazine!

2. Sep 14, 2011 at 4:34 AM
    g34rh34d

g34rh34d Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '08 4 DR TRD Off Road - ICON Stg 1 Adjustable Coil Overs ~3" lift, UCWMS, Airbags
    UCWMS; ICON Stg 1 Adjustable Coil Overs ~3" lift/shocks; Diff drop Spacers; Light Racing UCAs, Firestone Airbags
    X2 ^^^

I would agree on the revolver statement. also you have to consider others in your house (wife) who may need to use it. the revolver is by far a simpler device to use than a semi auto. point and shoot.

That being said, of the revolver calibers, I would consider a .357 caliber because you can familiarize your self with it using the smaller .38 cal ammo. (which is kinder to wallet and wrist.) If you want a larger more "home defense" geared pistol, take a serious look at the Taurus judge. you can shoot .45 cal or .410 shotgun shells out of it! the shotgun shell is a much "friendlier" ammo when it comes to wall penetration which should always be a consideration when talking in terms of home defense.

if you are truly stuck on a semi-auto, I like the Springfield XD, and the Taurus Millennium Pro .45. Semi-autos are a "feel and shoot" item. in other words, try them out, pick the one that feels the best - most natural in your hand. don't get too hung up on brand specifics.

Finally remember these words.. your pistol should be the means in which allows you to get to your true home defense weapon which is the 12 gauge shotgun..

my .02

Best of luck on your selection, and please please please, get some formal training on how to handle a firearm.

3. Sep 14, 2011 at 11:13 AM
    OscarWholivich

OscarWholivich Well-Known Member

Member:
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    06 Base Regular Cab 4x4
    Door Chime off, The Stubby Antenna, Hunter bull bars, Sockmonkey antlers decal, MetalMiller custom emblem
    My bad TacoTabe, you are 100% correct. A clip is used to put ammunition into a magizine, and they are not the same thing @ all. I only used that term because the poster is unfamilier with firearms. I'm kind of a moron. Sorry

4. Sep 14, 2011 at 11:23 AM
    jonny

jonny [OP] Betty White Edition Heep ZJ

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Still haven't had a chance to get to a gun range and try out different hand guns. :eek:
    Positive note- Hobos left. No sign of them. :D

5. Sep 14, 2011 at 1:21 PM
    TacoTabe

TacoTabe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Northeast PA
    Vehicle:
    '93 pickup
    No worries. I don't know why that is a pet peeve of mine, but it is. When I hear/see someone refer to a magazine as a 'clip', I assume they hold they're gun sideways and only shoot from slow-moving late model cars. While wearing solid colors. With gold teef.

6. Sep 14, 2011 at 10:55 PM
    Tigahshark

Tigahshark Senior NEWBIE

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    On a volcano, literally!
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD off road 4X4
    Tint Weathertech floor liner, weathertech window visor Roll n lock tonneau cover Rubber bed mat Smoked license plate covers
    Even a BB gun, true story

7. Sep 16, 2011 at 8:24 AM
    Aggie97

Aggie97 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner
    custom tan leather seats, bed track system bike rack, Vision Warrior wheels, smittybilt nerf bars, Extang BlackMax tonneau cover.
    I've killed ants and wasps with my son's BB gun

8. Sep 16, 2011 at 8:57 AM
    PreRunnerSeth

PreRunnerSeth Well-Known Member

Member:
    Apex, NC
    Vehicle:
    16 Super White Limited 4x4
    Everything I have read on the subject says shotgun for home defense for a couple reasons, close range, easy to hit target, and it doesn't go through walls and kill sleeping neighbors, pets, gas lines... ETC.

9. Sep 16, 2011 at 9:27 AM
    Packman73

Packman73 ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    The free state of Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 5100's (front set @ .85"), OME 885's, chris4x4 anti-Taco-lean spacer on driver's side, Total Chaos UCAs, Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Toytec AALs, Black FJ TT Wheels, BFG 285/75R 16 AT Tires, TRD Exhaust, Viper Alarm, Fog Light Mod, De-badged, Blue LED Dome Light, EZ Clamped Tailgate, Wet Okoles, Satoshi Grill, 5% Tint, Engine Tick Fix, Black Rear Bumper, Black Center Valence, Exhaust Cut At Axle, Thanks for all the help chris4x4!
    Everything I've read says an AR-15 is best so it comes down to what you feel comfortable with. I like a .45 with a light but I also keep a 10.5" AR-15 handy.

10. Sep 16, 2011 at 9:45 AM
    TTU Ryan

TTU Ryan Active Member

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner TRD, SR5, Double Cab
    Ipod Interface
    I keep a .357 revolver by the bed. You can shoot .38 through it which is nice (less bang). Revolvers dont jam, so the reliability of a revolver is something to consider

My wife shoots a 9mm and keeps that bedside as well. The 9mm ammo is cheap and easy to shoot/control

I would advise against a shotgun for home defense. Yes it is great for a point an shoot scenario, but the minimum length for a shotgun is somelike like 18" (or something like that). Moving around a house with an 18" barrell might prove difficult in tight corners, etc.

However with that said...there is nothing more "heart stopping" that being on the business end of a shotgun...especially when its gets "racked'. Probably one of the most recgonizible sounds ever!

11. Sep 17, 2011 at 10:01 AM
    Oat

Oat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2001 Prerunner
    Gibson Exhaust, Painted factory steel wheels, Chrome wheel caps, K&N Air intake, Tint, Regular Bilstein (yellow/blue) all around, Leveling spacer kit upfront, Partially de-badged, Westin Bullbar with skidplate, White, Double Cab Prerunner SR5
    Get a glock, they are IMO the "ak" of handguns, meaning they are very reliable. A Glock 17 or 22 should suffice. The 22 is a little more snappier though. Also invest in a good guard dog or 2;

[​IMG]

Another factor if you're just open to all weapons is your neighborhood layout, your floor layouts, even furniture. Everyone praises the shotgun for a all around home defense weapon but in certain situations a bb-gun would be more practical. Consider points of entry, retreat, surroundings; I.E: other houses, woods, etc. Some people just go out and buy a 12 ga but when it comes time to defend your self you're already panicing with no plan and in that scenario your firearm is just a hunk of metal. So have a plan.

12. Sep 18, 2011 at 8:56 AM
    Yuma Taco

Yuma Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Yuma, Az
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner DC TRD
    35% tint windows, OEM black running boards, OEM black roof rack, Foglight mod, De-badged & Sockmonkey Horns decals added, Two ammo box storage units (removed), 110 volt & 12 volt outlets for back seat area, EGR Slimline inchannel visors (all windows), Fold-A-Cover G4, Tonneau, Bedmat.
    Having read this entire thread...... One forgets that the OP is in the state of Kalifornia!!!

The most important things said have been:
    Try out any and all guns if you can.
    Practice, Practice, Practice after you have one.

Do not get a gun based on what is recommended here or on any internet forum. :)

With that said I say stay away from the LCP for a HD gun. (I own one and it is a great little gun, but it's little, hard to hold.)
    A full size 9mm would work best. Yes, every one says .40/.45/.50.......
    But the recoil of the 9mm in a full size gun can be handled well.
    You may look into a .357/.38sp revolver as noted too.

If for some reason you can not find a range in the Inland Empire that rents guns, make a trip to the Free State of Arizona (Just a few hours away :D ) and here we do have gun rentals.... :p

Good luck and I am sorry to read Redlands has gotten so bad. I lived there when I first moved on on my own 30+ years ago...

Yuma Taco,

13. Sep 18, 2011 at 1:39 PM
    taconewby

taconewby Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Dallas Tx.
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma
    factory fogs,black projector headlights, Kenwood head unit, kicker/Infinty speakers
    First of all let me start by saying I love guns and as I sit here typing this comment have my Glock 33 sitting beside me. Living is southeast Dallas, TX. a 911 call will get you emergency help about 40 minutes after your family has been brutalized by some crack head. If moving is not an option then take steps to protect yourself. Second can you say over-penetration (not a sexual term)? A .357 or just about any large caliber hand gun will easily penetrate your intended target and very probably the wall behind them and then possibly one of your loved ones or a neighbor by accident. If you think not then try setting up some fake walls and check it out. The best weapon for home defense has always been a 12 gauge shotgun. Try a Mossberg Defender loaded with double ought buck. Nothing slows down a perp like the sound of a shotgun slide action.. just point and pull the trigger.

14. Sep 18, 2011 at 6:13 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot3.htm

I would like to reiterate things I've said in the past

A shotgun is good if you're going to hunker down like most of you should, but captain commando home defense paper killer will not and you'll go searching out the source of the bump in the night...and if you don't know what you're doing, that shotgun is very quickly and easily going to be taken from you...and probably used against you

Also...do NOT count on the sound of a shotgun scaring anyone...because it wont...real life aint the movies

By racking it you are making a possibly FATAL mistake...you have now let the bad guy know where the fuck you are and what you've got

If anyone makes the mistake of breaking into my apartment while I'm here...he will not know where I am until i'm standing over him

Now then, back to the link I posted, shotguns can, will, and do penetrate walls...especially when using a buckshot or slug load...do not think otherwise

Regardless of what caliber and weapon you choose...regardless of what setting you're in...you should ALWAYS know what is behind your intended target and shoot accordingly...EXPECT that what you shoot will go through at LEAST the first wall behind you

shotgun, rifle, or pistol...your chosen method of defense should be something you can aim and shoot without having to work to aim it...point shooting accurately is going to be more important than just about anything else...because i guarantee you that under an extreme adrenaline fueled shoot situation...most of you will never even see the front sight post

15. Sep 28, 2011 at 2:53 AM
    o5iiawah

o5iiawah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Philly 'burbs, PA
    Vehicle:
    '11 4x2 access cab 2.7l
    Amen, brotha. Know your target and whats beyond it.

16. Sep 28, 2011 at 8:21 AM
    Fink

Fink Motorboatin' SOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 4x4
    WeatherTechs, 265/75-16 DuraTracs, ATX Mojave Teflon Wheels, ARE V-Series Shell
    Exactly what I was trying to say earlier - this is a huge concern of mine living in an apartment complex.

Fink

Products Discussed in

To Top