1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

need procedure to drop auto tranny on 96 2.4 2wd for RMS replacement

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by lvs2rock, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Dec 3, 2017 at 10:46 AM
    lvs2rock

lvs2rock [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    N. Cali
    Vehicle:
    96 Taco 2RZ-FE auto
    hello there! I've been searching (unsuccessfully) for the bare steps necessary to drop the tranny on my 96 taco in order to replace the crankshaft rear main seal. the FSM (and pretty much every other 'official'-type instructions)all demand pulling the engine and trans together as a unit out the top of the engine compartment w/a hoist or crane and then separating them. This is not an option for me, no hoist available nor the means to get one here and I am working outside. I do have a tranny jack so the tranny has to come down, not go up. I've found many instructables for doing it this way (dropping the tranny by itself) for a 4x4 and/or manual transmission but alas, my truck has auto transmission and is 2wd. Once again I find myself here at the most reliable 'knowledge base' for Tacos in the belief that if someone here hasn't done it, it can't be done....
    Can someone please give me a brief run-down on the steps to drop the automatic transmission on a 96 2.4l 2wd? I've replaced clutches on my old front wheel drive Hondas, etc but never removed an automatic transmission on a rear wheel drive vehicle and I'm feeling a little intimidated. All this just to replace a $30 seal....

edit: this is a column shift, NOT a floor shift so no hole in floor....
    Any help or handy links would be much appreciated, thank you!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  2. Dec 3, 2017 at 2:58 PM
    Glamisman

Glamisman Well-Known Member

Member:
    The biggest issue you are going to have is getting the truck high enough to drag the trans out so that you can work on the back of the crank. From a some what recent experience your are going to want to loosen/remove the torque convertor bolts first... I say this because you have to turn the motor to get access to them and I turn the motor by hand from the front by the fan assembly... not everyone has the large socket(32mm?) to turn the crank. To get the tilt on the motor to get the trans out you are going to have to lift/tilt the from of the motor up, the radiator fan has to come off or it will hit the shroud and that is what I use to turn the motor over with. Other than that, long extensions to get to the trans bolts.

3. Dec 3, 2017 at 3:05 PM
    NM Lance

NM Lance Well-Known Member

Member:
    How badly is your seal leaking? If it is only a few drops per day, I wouldn't even bother with it, especially since you have an auto transmission and do not have to worry about your clutch slipping due to oil residue. Rear mains are much more critical when you have a manual transmission, and fortunately, you do not.

4. Dec 5, 2017 at 6:20 PM
    lvs2rock

Member:
    N. Cali
    Vehicle:
    96 Taco 2RZ-FE auto
    many thanks for the replies and the advice. The seal is leaking pretty badly...more than a few drops, for sure. And taking the radiator/shroud out? Already done-at present there are only three components remaining in the engine bay: the block, the a.c. compressor and the power steering pump (the latter two only because they're such a p.i.t.a. ....)
    @ Glamisman: the truck is up on ramps right now. By 'remove the torque converter bolts first' do you mean the ones only accessible when you remove the 'inspection cover' at the front of the tranny?

5. Dec 7, 2017 at 7:29 AM
    Glamisman

Glamisman Well-Known Member

Member:
  6. Dec 10, 2017 at 10:10 AM
    lvs2rock

Member:
    N. Cali
    Vehicle:
    96 Taco 2RZ-FE auto
    thank you !