1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need quick tip! Replace entire bed or bedsides on 2003 Taco stock??

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by GreenMM, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Jan 1, 2017 at 9:05 AM
    GreenMM

GreenMM [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Green Magic Man
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2003 Toyota Tacoma stock 2.7L 4x4 DLX
    none
    The frame is rusting, but it's really not bad at all. I took more pics and will post those up in a bit when I have any time.
    Mostly surface rust compared to anything exhaust related - the heat shield crumbled to dust, and the rear drum brakes look appalling.
    The rear diff looks extraordinarily scary to work on - it's actually frightening to look at it's so rusty.
    But again, the frame is "A" grade shape if you compare to other rusted stuff, but a 5 out of 10 compared to anything that's lived in California (hello no salt).

2. Jan 6, 2017 at 10:44 AM
    GreenMM

Member:
    First Name:
    Green Magic Man
    New England
    Vehicle:
    none
    Thanks everyone!!!!
    I got the 02 sensor out today. I used a Craftsman bolt extractor kit that is exactly like the Irwin. I had both on hand to compare.
    The Craftsman extractor worked so well I was stunned. I've never used a tool like this before on cars.

The nuts were so extremely rotted that a 10mm socket 6 point just spun around it.
    The upper one was much worse. The Craftsman / Irwin style would not grip it at all.
    I had a Performance Tool extractor set also on hand, and I was able to pound a smaller sized one on the nut and finally get it out.

HOWEVER, I compared the spare I got with the bed... its officially for a 2.4L Tacoma whereas one number is different from the old part which comes up as a 2.7L engine (which my truck is).

SO QUESTION!:
    Anyone swapped in a Tacoma 2.4L version (part # Toyota 89467-35030 / Denso 0121)
    into a 2.7L engine Tacoma which is normally part # Toyota 89467-35050 / Denso 0141??
    Can a 2.4L 02 sensor fit a 2.7L truck??
    They look exactly the same. Same length, size, and same connector and wire colors.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  3. Jan 6, 2017 at 10:59 AM
    GreenMM

Member:
    First Name:
    Green Magic Man
    New England
    Vehicle:
    none
  4. Jan 6, 2017 at 4:34 PM
    GreenMM

Member:
    First Name:
    Green Magic Man
    New England
    Vehicle:
    none
    Toyota dealership says to not try the other one (cuz they don't know it would work or interchange).
    Anyone try this?
    Do the 2.4L and 2.7L models share the same PCM part?
    Same cat? Same exhaust system?

5. Jan 6, 2017 at 5:20 PM
    mechanicjon

mechanicjon They call me "Jonny Stubs"

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Vehicle:
    04 Taco SC 4dr SR5 TRD Prerunner
    Supercharged, AEM FIC/6, Meth Inj, ION Alloy's, Radio & Phone steering Wheel controls,Fabtech AAL, Billie's wrapped with 880's , Tundra big brake conversion, bully bars and Pioneer DDin Stereo/dvd with exterrnal usb ports. 290K and going strong.
    There has to be some kind of difference in the OEM ones.

6. Jan 6, 2017 at 5:23 PM
    mechanicjon

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged, AEM FIC/6, Meth Inj, ION Alloy's, Radio & Phone steering Wheel controls,Fabtech AAL, Billie's wrapped with 880's , Tundra big brake conversion, bully bars and Pioneer DDin Stereo/dvd with exterrnal usb ports. 290K and going strong.
    Denso list theres for both 2.4 and 2.7 so it should work.

7. Jan 6, 2017 at 5:30 PM
    GreenMM

Member:
    First Name:
    Green Magic Man
    New England
    Vehicle:
    none
    yeah... I am seeing the Denso 234-9001 fits all engine models, however for a AT model 2.4L engine needs a Denso 234-9002 whereas the MT model needs a 234-9001.
    So it's still a little confusing. I have the original O2 sensor out and in hand, and the replacement one that looks identical and came off some Tacoma of unknown engine and year etc... It looks the same but they both have different Toyota part numbers by one digit.
    I cannot find the Denso part number on either sensor aside from a few numbers that seem meaningless.

8. Jan 6, 2017 at 6:33 PM
    mechanicjon

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Might be the one that's listed as universal.

9. Jan 7, 2017 at 9:14 AM
    GreenMM

Member:
    First Name:
    Green Magic Man
    New England
    Vehicle:
    none
    Not good.
    I have two balls of paper towels that fell into the exhaust at the O2 sensor hole.
    I got a mirrored light up there to see into the opening and they are not to be seen, which means they've slid down deeper towards the resonator / cat whatever that next thing is.

SO what do I do??
    Can I just figure 600+ degrees will light that up and "problem solved"??
    Will that clog up the exhaust / cat and damage the cat?

I don't know how to solve this issue.
    As per this sh*t job, the gasket was rotted onto the surface flange of the exhaust and has taken hours to scrape off. That's why I put balls of paper towels in the hole to prevent all the rotted metal and dust to go straight into the exhaust although I'm sure debris / dust went in there anyway.

10. Jan 7, 2017 at 10:24 AM
    mechanicjon

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Vehicle:
    I wouldn't worry about it. Cat will burn it up.

11. Jan 19, 2017 at 6:35 AM
    GreenMM

Member:
    First Name:
    Green Magic Man
    New England
    Vehicle:
    none
    Well, I vacuumed out the paper towels!
    I also installed the 2.4L O2 sensor, a different Toyota part # in my 2.7L engine truck.
    CEL / MIL immediately went away and has stayed away for over 200-300 miles so far!
    It passed inspection so finally this truck is ready to rock :)

EDIT / UPDATE: end of 2018, December, and 30K+ miles and no CEL back for the 02 sensor!! Woohoo!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
    mechanicjon likes this.
  12. Feb 12, 2017 at 9:46 AM
    GreenMM

Member:
    First Name:
    Green Magic Man
    New England
    Vehicle:
    none
    Here's some pic updates of the job. It's on the road and done, these are some pics from the process.
    You can see the gas tank and filler rust, the rear subframe (original) rust and rot, the replaced under warranty Toyota frame done in 2014 I think, and also the front 02 sensor area.
    That was as best as I could clean it out of the rotted / welded almost on gasket material. Probably spent 4 hours cleaning that surface with screwdrivers etc...

IMG_7371.jpg
    Scary gas tank. Currently running as is. (yikes) I DID install about 8 new clamps on the various fuel and vent lines. They crumbled in my hands or some were just gone from decay. Nice stuff.
    IMG_7377.jpg
    Scary fuel filler neck - ditto as above (also yikes)
    IMG_7382.jpg
    IMG_7422.jpg
    IMG_7425.jpg
    New Shocks! My first suspension job ever, unless you count new front ball joints on a horrible '88 Toyota Supra turbo job I did a few years back. Glad I tackled this (very easy) part of the project. Cheap too. Cheap and easy, my style :)
    IMG_7433.jpg
    Front 02 / oxygen sensor before I installed the 'incorrect' 2.4L engine model version with slightly different toyota part #. Works great! CEL off, runs great on startup, cold, warm etc... Thrilled.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  13. Feb 12, 2017 at 9:50 AM
    GreenMM

Member:
    First Name:
    Green Magic Man
    New England
    Vehicle:
    none
    And PS...
    My cousin who is not a good driver due to his mental difficulties has already rear ended someone after owning it for less than 2-3 weeks (!)
    So I will be chasing after a reasonable condition front bumper assembly. Must have hit the car fairly low speed at least!
    Good news is that he only drives locally and very slow on back roads.
    And the Tacoma is SUPERB in the snow in 4wd!!! I was amazed how good it is, and how hard it is to upset it. You really have to be doing something really dumb on snow to get into trouble.
    I really love this truck / model. Very impressive indeed.
    You can see my actual whip there in the background - a different animal altogether. points if you guess model correctly haha.

14. Feb 12, 2017 at 11:10 AM
    mechanicjon

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Vehicle:
    That's rust is UUUUUUGGGLLLLYYYY!!! F. that i'll stay right here in Arizona were things rust very slowly or not at all.

15. Feb 12, 2017 at 11:37 AM
    ghs57

ghs57 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chops
    Catskill Mts. NY
    Vehicle:
    '07 Black TRD OR xtracab 4.0L 4WD
    Pretty much stock right now
    How's that gas tank? Looks ready to leak.

My undercarriage rust is equally scary.

16. Feb 12, 2017 at 12:18 PM
    GreenMM

Member:
    First Name:
    Green Magic Man
    New England
    Vehicle:
    none
    Yeah the gas tank is CRAP. Worst one I've ever seen. But oddly holding fuel fine. No leaks, great MPG, and no CEL lights on.
    I DO in fact have a complete tank and pump on standby ready to install. I did not this time around - yes I know, ridiculous with bed off and all - but simply did not have the time for it.
    It was about the busiest period of my life in years and years. I was spinning like a top for 2.5 months with work work work project that swallowed me whole and owned my 16/7 for about 2 months. Plus travel and a short hop to Thailand mixed in = no time. I was hyper stressed during the first 2 days of job as it was not going fast enough.
    Anyway, here's some more pics.
    And yes, NE / VT stinks or more accurately ROTS. Rots everything in sight - damn salt.
    I also live / spend time in Cali, and have two rides out there that are in rust free beautiful shape, a '98 and a '95 Ford and Kawasaki.

dj  rob truck done DSC_0082.jpg
    dj  rob truck done DSC_0145.jpg
    dj  rob truck done DSC_0140.jpg
    dj  rob truck done  DSC_0142.jpg

Jon G likes this.
  17. Feb 12, 2017 at 12:22 PM
    GreenMM

Member:
    First Name:
    Green Magic Man
    New England
    Vehicle:
    none
    I mostly deliberately did a little accent work on this build.
    Oddly, the black tailgate was crap, rotted in corners, whereas the silver one was much better. And the gas cap retainer was easier to swap around with the grey model door for the most part. That's key as my cousin constantly drives off from gas stations without his gas cap and does not remember or go back to get it.
    Anyway, I like the silver pieces mixed in with the black bed and the older Taco retro graphics on the black bed. It looks pretty cool in person, not like an eyesore.
    I will likely do something to those wheels next (after fixing the busted bumper). Probably in warm months, and also go after the dent in the hood too.

18. Feb 12, 2017 at 12:24 PM
    GreenMM

Member:
    First Name:
    Green Magic Man
    New England
    Vehicle:
    none
    And although this truck looks a bit rough on the outside, it's a real peach / cream puff! Inside is fantastic, motor just purrs, and with low mileage at 90K it feels very young driving it around.
    Despite the low light pics and the grim look, the replaced-under-warranty frame is excellent. It should be, it's only been 2-3 years installed!
    I was a little irritated to see they simply bolted back on the old rear subframe that holds the bumper and the spare tire metal stays. But oh well, at least they replaced what was likely a horrifically rotted / rusty frame.

19. Feb 12, 2017 at 12:34 PM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    Is he licensed? I mean is he capable of passing a written and road test? Not throwing stones, but some folks just shouldn't be allowed to drive, for the safety of others and themselves. I hope he's not in this category and just out there winging it anyway..........

And while NH does not require insurance, they will hold you liable for damages you caused, including suspending your license until they are settled.

And that's an expensive hole to dig yourself out of.

Good luck with your restoration!

20. Feb 12, 2017 at 12:42 PM
    GreenMM

Member:
    First Name:
    Green Magic Man
    New England
    Vehicle:
    none
    thanks.
    So yes, he is licensed. I am pretty sure he would pass a road test. He has before. (If there was a busy left tested - see below - he might not pass).
    I am really not sure how he would pass a written test. He could if it was read to him - probably. Maybe he could on his own if given a lot of time. Unsure.
    He is mentally impaired due to a low IQ. Personally, I think it's very borderline him being allowed to drive. I've ridden with him several times, and followed him etc...
    He's super slow out there (driving speeds). He cannot make decisions quickly.
    His biggest challenge is any left turn. He will often drive 2 miles away in a loop to avoid a left turn on a busier road. He cannot safely figure out when it's safe to go.
    Due to his slow pace and avoidance of all highways, he actually is able to do a mostly reasonable job. He sort of knows his limitations. He is in a rural / small town, small city mixed part of NH
    That said, because his driving actions are not predictable and normal for other drivers, he's that type of driver that draws accidents.
    He's been in several low speed ones. No one has ever been hurt, but damage to vehicles. He totaled another Ford Ranger (on a left turn that confused him), and that's how the family got him the horrible P.O.S. replacement Ranger which was the worst rotten vehicle I've seen in our family on road. Awful. Had it one year and I told everyone to bail out of that piece of garbage. It sucked - over $4500 sunk into. It sold last month for $2500 and in a way we were very lucky to get that.

(Rant starts)(my Dad and his Dad kept taking it to a mechanic and racking up bills. When a truck is rotted and gone does it make and F-ing sense to spend $800 to oil the frame????!!! of course not. Idiot mechanics. And that said, these smart guys just ran this truck over for another 'oil the frame' job! I was really pissed. Trying by any means necessary to save cousin money and they go and oil a 3 year old frame).(done)

The truck was a family donation / mercy mission to him. We sold off the cap for about $400 and I did all the repairs on the new to him Tacoma to try to help him. I should be doing a lot more for him. He really needs help and can't make it on his own in life. It's sad. This is about the least I could do for him, by using abilities no one else in the family has (auto work).
    He just got fired again from his low pay job, due to many factors. He really can't make it on his own in the 'real world'. He does not have the intelligence, drive, initiative and decision making abilities.
    For example, he cannot tell time (except digitally) or count change at all. $10 or $1000 can at times mean the same thing to him.

Products Discussed in

To Top