1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need sat antenna help

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by siderman, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Nov 11, 2017 at 11:14 AM
    siderman

siderman [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    So this is what I did... I have a '13 Taco with no satelitte antenna(Sirius XM) and picked up a '14 head unit with the sat module. All the connection cross fit however since I didnt have a sat antenna I got a aftermarket Sirius one to rig up but its connector doesnt fit the units plug. I cant find any kind of adapter for that. Any ideas anyone?

2. Nov 11, 2017 at 11:21 AM
    Unchained 5150

Unchained 5150 Rick

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Auburn Ma
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Poser Pro Manual.
  3. Nov 11, 2017 at 11:23 AM
    Unchained 5150

Unchained 5150 Rick

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Auburn Ma
    Vehicle:
  4. Nov 11, 2017 at 11:49 AM
    siderman

Member:
    Thanx. I saw that TSS cable elsewhere but it doesnt look like it will fit. That looks like its a regular squared antenna plug and I think the sat one is rounded, maybe looks just like the GPS one. I'm thinkin that because my original non satelitte OEM head unit has only the square version for the am/fm antenna.

5. Nov 11, 2017 at 12:24 PM
    Unchained 5150

Unchained 5150 Rick

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Auburn Ma
    Vehicle:
    crashnburn80 likes this.
  6. Nov 11, 2017 at 1:11 PM
    crashnburn80

crashnburn80 Vehicle Design Engineer

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    The TSS adapter is going to be the reverse of what you need, OEM antenna->Aftermarket head unit, where you need Aftermarket antenna->OEM head unit. I highly doubt there will be any adapter on the market, because in theory if your OEM head unit has XM, your truck is equipped with an XM antenna.

And after some searching it looks like there is actually a company that can custom make the part for you.

TW never ceases to impress:
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/satellite-radio-antenna-adapter.184477/

Last post a member mentioned getting the part custom made by ViasTech.

7. Nov 11, 2017 at 1:13 PM
    siderman

Member:
    Thanx guys, will look into that.

crashnburn80 likes this.
  8. Nov 11, 2017 at 1:15 PM
    Unchained 5150

Unchained 5150 Rick

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Auburn Ma
    Vehicle:
    Thank You Sir

crashnburn80[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Nov 11, 2017 at 1:16 PM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    Anytime. :)

10. Nov 12, 2017 at 7:07 AM
    siderman

Member:
    So nothing is ever easy, that would be too easy right? This is where I'm at now after looking at various links here and looking at the back of both units, my oem '13 w/o sat and the '14 with the sat module the 13 has only one single square grey port so logic says that wire goes into the same identical one on the 14. That leaves two single seperate identical ports (except for color,light grey/dark grey) open on the 14 that are not fully squared but have one rounded corner AND have SMB jacks, unlike the first square grey jack referenced above. Looking at the Sirius aftermarket antenna the SMB's make sense as the antenna looks to be a SMB plug and should fit into one of the SMB ports on the 14 unit, its just too shallow to fit in the recessed jacks. Unlike what I've seen in some links here I dont have any blue plugs despite the one pictorial which too is a 14 but has nav (i think...) and I dont have nav and that other 14 looks different than mine...:confused: ANYWAY i need to do something so I ordered a few SMB connecters to hopefully get the antenna and jack hooked up, will see. If I'm lucky that'll do it w/o too much trial & error if not I may just forget the whole thing and eat the purchase. Oh yea, guess I need a Siriusxm subscription too lol, not going anywhere w/o it. Hopefully can get a free trial for a month figuring this out. Will follow up here eventually.....

11. Nov 12, 2017 at 8:57 AM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    For the radios that look completely different, one may be a JBL unit. You don’t need a subscription or trial to get it sorted out, you will receive XM channel 01 without either that you can use to test.

12. Nov 12, 2017 at 10:07 AM
    CITY TACO

CITY TACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Greater New Brunswick
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD Barcelona Red
    After hooking up your radio you should have only two blank connections. The grey one on the XM unit is for the sat radio and I think you can only find it in a 2014-15 unit and it runs across the dash up the side post and back through the headliner to the shark fin. This is a two part cable as it also includes the gps cable which will be the white almost identical plug in the back of the radio and is the same shape as the sat one. For some reason Toyota hooked all their radios to the gps antenna even though the radio wasn't equipped for it. I know this as I have a 2015 TRD and found a nav unit in a scrap yard and figured the nav antenna was located under the dash, so me and the scrap guy basically tore the complete dash out trying to follow the gps wire till we found it attached to the shark fin. Bought the whole deal for $200 Cdn (guy didn't know what he had) and found the truck was already wired for gps. Sold the old radio/sat unit plus shark fin for a bit of a profit. Putting the fin in and running the wires is not an easy deal.

13. Nov 12, 2017 at 11:05 AM
    siderman

Member:
    so seeing the 01 after antenna hook up would mean its getting sat reception?

I believe the 2 blanks is the case IIRC when I tested the unit in my dash and looking at the 2 backs, and thanx for confirming what I was guessing about the grey being sat and other same almond one gps. Also about why the whole unit is diiferent being a 14-15. I dont want gps so not going to worry about doing the shark fin thing, I have seen how much $$$ the gps antennas go for.

14. Nov 12, 2017 at 11:10 AM
    siderman

Member:
    And thanx to all you Taco guys so far the help. I saw this unit for sale and jumped on it not really researching first and knowing nada about sat/Sirius. Wasnt even on my radar till I saw it. Shoot first, ask questions later....

15. Nov 12, 2017 at 6:32 PM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    Channel 01 will receive signal and play regardless of subscription. It is a promo channel to sell subscriptions, no music.

16. Nov 16, 2017 at 1:51 PM
    siderman

Member:
    Success. Got this adaptor($20 free ship) https://www.xm-radio-satellite.com/fakra-adapter-connector-for-sirius-xm-smb-antennas/ and now get sat., at least the test channel for now will get subscription soon. Seems so easy now.....So for future reference should someone have the same issue I did- putting in a Toyota oem head unit with sat into a truck without sat/antenna this adaptor allows you to plug a aftermarket sat antenna into the SMB jack/port on your sat module on the oem head-at least with this '14 head into my '13 Taco. Follow the link posted above and it will be self explanatory. Now, the guy who sold me the unit got back to me and said he found the backup camera for it and is going to give it to me....next project lol? There is a wire harness going into my tailgate.....

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
  17. Nov 16, 2017 at 5:50 PM
    diabetiktaco

diabetiktaco Instalander

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Lexus LX 470
    Just started searching to get this done. Thanks for saving me a ton of time!

18. Nov 16, 2017 at 7:53 PM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    Good find! And you can listen to XM free for the next 2 weeks without doing anything:
    https://www.siriusxm.com/sxmlp217?sxmlpId=listen10

19. Dec 2, 2017 at 12:04 PM
    siderman

Member:
    Funny thing about that....I hooked up my unit and sure enough was getting all the channels! Here I was thinking that maybe the original user account was still active or someone forgot to turn it off, was feeling good about beating the system until my daughter informed me that no, everyone is getting it lol. Anyway found a real easy antenna route. Didnt want to attempt the brake light/headliner way altho did do a quick look into it.The interior headliner hooks didnt seem to want to come out despite others somewhere saying a 1/4 turn and they pull out, wasnt happening and besides I have the airbags up there and didnt want to risk messing with them.So my magnetic sat antenna is on the hood at the base of the regular antenna (works fine so far, no drop out of reception anywhere). I fished it under the passenger side cowling right there, a bit tricky but under right there is the fresh air intake into the cabin filter box. Open the door for the filter and there is the wire.I filed a tiny hole in the plastic filter box just inside of where the cover snaps closed so it clears the cover and bam, its inside and next to the head. Pc of cake and threw in a new filter while at it. Just make sure the hole goes above the filter and not below where the fan is lol.

crashnburn80[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top