1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need Some Career Advice

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by 90YotaPU, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Oct 19, 2010 at 8:11 AM
    90YotaPU

90YotaPU [OP] The Messiah

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Union County, NJ
    Vehicle:
    1990 Toyota 4x4 (Pre-Taco)
    Aftermarket Stereo, Spidertrax Wheel Spacers, HF Air Horns, 3" Lift
    I need some career advice. Just a little background. Back in 2001 I got my certification for auto / diesel mechanics. After graduation, I worked at a dealership for a month and couldn't stand it. Not knowing where else to turn, I went and got my Class A CDL and started driving 18-wheelers in the tri-state area (every guy in my family has been a trucker for the last three generations). After a year of trucking, my friends father came to me and offered me a job with good pay, full benefits, and paid vacation time. Job is selling specialty construction products. I figured I owed it to myself to try it out. For the first few years, everything was great, I was getting 10% raises every year and life was good. When the economy took a nose-dive, I was told that times were hard and I had to help out by doing some installations. So I said, no problem, I'm more than willing to help out (especially if it means keeping my job). So a few days a week I was playing installer and the remaining days I was selling. Mind you, my Tacoma was being used as a work truck because all our other installers are sub-contracted so we don't have company trucks and I was putting in all kinds of overtime trying to stay on top of sales and installs. When my next review time came, I was told there wasn't enough money for me to get a raise. I figured most of the country wasn't doing good so I was happy to have a job. Two weeks later, the boss showed up with a brand new car. Now, three years later, I'm still doing sales and installs and I just finally got a raise. I got 3% after three years of no raise. I also found out the secretary got 2% and makes more than I do, yet she leaves everyday on-time where I get to stay late to keep things going. When I was given the 3% raise I was told that hopefully things will be getting better and I could get more money soon. I said I understood and asked if I could have a separate raise / pay scale for when I'm doing installs being I'm using my truck and the sub-contracted installers are getting more than triple what I make per hour. He said he'd think about it and hasn't said another word. Now, the other day he made the comment to me that he has to start looking around for another car because his youngest son is about to turn 17 and he's going to give him the car he bought three years ago. Mind you, the boss is always telling me how rough it is to make ends meet and he's barely squeeking by.

If anyone has any recommendations, I would appreciate it. My predicament is as follows:
    - I want to find another job, either sales, mechanics, or trucking but I need something that pays well cause I've got bills.
    - I'm not overly marketable to a large firm because I don't have bachelor's degree, I only have a certificate from a tech school.
    - I would have no problem getting back into mechanics but it's been 8 years since I left the industry so my knowledge and skills aren't what they were.
    - The owner of the current company I work for is a friend of mine and my wife's so I have to try and keep things on the friendly side.

Any suggestions on how to handle the situation or possible career options?

Thanks,
    Mike

2. Oct 19, 2010 at 8:29 AM
    Mush Mouse

Mush Mouse Club Soda Not Seals

Member:
    First Name:
    mush
    where ever you want me to be
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5
    its a Toyota truck and that's all the modifications needed
    I recommend keeping the current job even under the circumstances that are present,and at the same time start looking at other options. I lost my job Nov. 2009 Union Construction and have only gotten 16 hours work since and Im on my 3rd and possibly final Unemployment Extension my Medical coverage ends in April 2011 which comes around soon,whatever happens dont loose your current gig unless you really feel positive about your next job being secure and youll like it. Id look into the Federal Government theres lots of web sites for free jobs listings in all the USA Im trying now,you can find something related to your background Im sure. The pay is as good or better than private,job security,excellent Benes and Time off and the Federal Government is the only thing thats growing in the country now. Do a google on Federal jobs or USA Jobs I think and browse you can do an online application and submit to any job you want that you may qaulify for.

3. Oct 22, 2010 at 1:34 PM
    03DBLCABTACO

03DBLCABTACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    MAGNOLIA,TX
    Vehicle:
    Silver 2010 doublecab sr5
    Bilsteins at 2.5 stock coils up front,tsb springs rear with 5100s,fog light any time mod, 265/70/16 Yokohama geolanders.
    working on cars is a terrible job

4. Oct 22, 2010 at 1:47 PM
    Sapper26

Sapper26 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Columbus, GA
    Vehicle:
    99 Xtra Cab 4x4
    If you want to work on diesels you should look into a company like Mantech or BAE Systems who both have military contracts. That means good money with a decent schedule. Plus you would be working on some cool military stuff.

To Top