1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need some help on lift decision

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by KneeDraggerR1, Oct 25, 2008.

1. Oct 25, 2008 at 11:09 AM
    KneeDraggerR1

KneeDraggerR1 [OP] Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    1998 4X4 Tacoma
    Well after my frame coming back with a "its only surface rust" from the dealer, i am now trying to decide what to do with my Taco. First, should i lift it at all? The reason i ask is because i feel that within the next few years of the frame warranty that it could still potentially rust out. Should this stop me from lifting it and doing some minor mods? I kow i can remove all of my aftermarket parts if and when the truck is said to be unsafe, but is it worth it? All that aside, lets say i am going to lift it. The Toytec 3" lift for $299.99 is looking to be a good kit for the price. I was also going to just throw on some black steelies (anyone have a link to good black steel wheels?) and some BFG AT's. With a 3 inch suspension lift only, and MAYBE in the future a 2 inch body lift, what size tires should i run? 32's? 33's? What width? What wheel size would you recommend? 15" 16"? I'm really just getting into modding trucks so i dont have too much knowledge in what works and what doesnt. Sorry for the long post just want to make the right decision. ;)

2. Oct 25, 2008 at 3:12 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    Toytec is a good brand, I went that route. If you get those tires go with the 33s they'll actually measure out to be about 32.4" tall. Atleast these do 285/75/17. If you will actually be offroading on rocks go with either they will leave you enough sidewall with the 33s. If it is for looks pick the rim with the cheaper/easier to find tires. Some will be easier to find and cheaper. Not sure what Backspace or Offset to use with the first gens trucks. A good rule of thumb is 4.5 backspace and 0 offset.

3. Oct 25, 2008 at 3:20 PM
    oldtacomaguy

oldtacomaguy four forty four

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SE Conn.
    Vehicle:
    08 SR-5 4WD Impulse Red Pearl
    Alpine deck and amp, Polk speakers front and rear, Kenwood subwoofer, windows tinted to 20%, Sockmonkey decals, TSB, Eibach springs and Bilstein 5100's
    Personally, I would't lift it. I had a 97, in (I thought) perfect cond. I spent a small fortune on stereo equip, a new set of bucket seats( it had a 60/40) a new center console, new tires, you get the idea. I really thought I would keep the truck forever. I was attached to that truck, and it got condemned and crushed. It was painful. If you think yours may rust, I wouldn't put anything into it you don't have to. But, only you can make that decision. Good luck.

4. Oct 25, 2008 at 3:25 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    ^ What he says is very true. You have to make the call on what condition your truck is in. And even if you remove all the aftermarket parts will you be able to reuse or resell them to recoupe some of your money.

Products Discussed in

To Top