1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need some "supercharger" clarification

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by MadToy, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Jun 28, 2012 at 10:09 AM
    MadToy

MadToy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Huntersville, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Midnight Blue TRD
    OME 886, Dakar leafs, LR UCA's, 16x8.5 Level 8 ZX, 315 MTR Kevlar, All-Pro sliders, BudBuilt skids, Undercoverhwms winch mount, Warn M8000 with synthetic rope, ATO Hi-Lift bed mounts, Diff locker override, Hitch harness relocated to bumper, Undercover bed cover, Gromm Aux adapter, Grillcraft grill, DT pipe bombs, Custom Magnaflow exhaust, Brute Force HC bumper, TRD Supercharger
    Disclaimer - I'm an N/A guy, and have built a few fast N/A cars in my time. I stick to N/A because I know next to nothing about F/I.

So here's what I do know. For low end and part throttle power, a roots style blower is the way to go. I'm looking for towing power, and not racing power. I will probably rarely, if ever go WOT with the truck. So I'm needing it to have some mid range power in the 2500-3000 rpm area mainly.

Here's what I don't know. Will a blower still give me more power in that range while just cruising along with the trailer in tow, or do I need to be in boost to get the benefit? Is there any boost when not at WOT?

Second question - If it does add power at part throttle for such an application, will adding a smaller pulley (URD pulley for the TRD SC) add to that mid range part throttle power, or will that only help with WOT performance?

Thanks - and yes I've searched long and hard :)

2. Jun 28, 2012 at 10:38 AM
    MadToy

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Huntersville, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Midnight Blue TRD
    OME 886, Dakar leafs, LR UCA's, 16x8.5 Level 8 ZX, 315 MTR Kevlar, All-Pro sliders, BudBuilt skids, Undercoverhwms winch mount, Warn M8000 with synthetic rope, ATO Hi-Lift bed mounts, Diff locker override, Hitch harness relocated to bumper, Undercover bed cover, Gromm Aux adapter, Grillcraft grill, DT pipe bombs, Custom Magnaflow exhaust, Brute Force HC bumper, TRD Supercharger
    Ah - so the fact that the weight of the trailer may produce load on the engine at part throttle, the bypass sees that as being similar to a WOT load situation? So going downhill, or when level with little load, the valve opens and adds no boost.

I'm assuming it only adds enough boost to compensate for the slight load, so a smaller pulley wouldn't really add anything to the part throttle power in that situation, as it should never require more than the 5-6 lbs of boost the blower is capable of. Does that sound right?

Thanks!!

3. Jul 2, 2012 at 12:54 PM
    F-125Racer

F-125Racer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    09,DC,TRD Sport, 4WD, TRD S/C
    Check out 6 Cylinder Towing Review in the Towing forum. I added a S/C for towing and logged a bunch of notes and passed them on.

4. Jul 2, 2012 at 1:53 PM
    MadToy

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Huntersville, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Midnight Blue TRD
    Thanks for that! Looks like the S/C will do exactly what I want it to do, which is give me that extra power for the hills. Same situation as you, where I don't want a bigger truck if I can get the Tacoma to pull with a bit more power. Handling the load is no problem at all with my OME suspension.

I've been hunting for a bargain on the TRD S/C. Hopefully find one soon. If not, I'll break down and pay the $3800 from TRDparts4u, as that is still a good price from what I can tell.

Products Discussed in

To Top