1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

need specific help with rim sizeing and offset

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by ksalibs, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Feb 2, 2011 at 7:38 PM
    ksalibs

ksalibs [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    kevin
    nj
    Vehicle:
    tacoma trd double
    satoshi
    hey-

Im really having trouble understanding the tire sizing terms and measurments hope you guys can help as i am really trying to place an order but im really unsure about sizes.
    I am looking to purchase kmc xd monsters 18" with a 5 inch offset (when i say off set, in my mind it means the more the wheel will stick out from under the fender flair. not sure if thats accurate) i have a toyota tacoma with a toyotech 3'' lift and a 6 on 5.5 lug pattern im looking to get about 2 inches to hang out from the fender flairs.the tire i was thinking of going with are 33'' pro comp xtreem allterains ( this is the second measurment i allwayse get confused about. why do the sizes turn int like 295 ext. then go back to just saying 35" is there a way to read thies sizes to determin the hight of wheel? please let me know) could you please set me up with what rim and tire size i should go with and most importantly the right off set so i can order thies things and stop clicking away at my keyboard getting more and more confused every night. really hope you can help thanks

Kevin-

2. Feb 2, 2011 at 7:43 PM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Welcome to to the forum. What size tires are you wanting to run? With the 3" lift, it's pretty common to run 33's.

The "295" you are referrign to is the section width, and is a metric tire size. The "35's" is a standard size measurement. This tire calculator should help you out.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tirecalc.php

As for your wheels question, the 5" you are referring to is the backspacing, not the offset. This page will help you understand those terms more.
    https://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html

To fit the 33's, you'll want 4.5" backspacing. If you get a 9" rim, with 4.5" backspacing, that will stick out about 2" further than your stock rims. The 4.5" backspacing will also lead to least amount of rubbing with the 33's.

3. Feb 2, 2011 at 7:52 PM
    WRrider450

WRrider450 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Torranceish
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road 4x4
    13" Wicked Flow Muffler
    sorry if this is a stupid question but what is a 5.5 lug pattern mean? Cause im very confused on how you can have half a lug lol :/

4. Feb 2, 2011 at 7:54 PM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    The lug pattern he references is "6 on 5.5".

6 lugs, 5.5 references the pattern those 6 lugs are in.

5. Feb 2, 2011 at 8:01 PM
    WRrider450

WRrider450 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Torranceish
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road 4x4
    13" Wicked Flow Muffler
    oh i see. thanks man

Products Discussed in