1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need suggestions on suspension parts I ordered

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by nagorb, May 10, 2012.

1. May 10, 2012 at 10:22 PM
    nagorb

nagorb [OP] Should be a dang perma mod

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2001 dbl cab 4x4
    I picked up a 2001 double cab non trd 4x4a few months ago and have some parts on order but need help figuring out if I need anything else. I’m new to all things trucks and have researched for some time, I’m not mechanically stupid though, I’m a welder/fabricator so I’ll be doing all the install myself.

Background: I drive mostly on the freeway but plan on going offroading once or twice a month, nothing too crazy as it my DD, but I didn’t get a 4x4 for nothing. I planned on getting bilsteins all around but are backordered till mid June and I’m impatient after looking for my truck for so damn long. So I ordered some sway away 2.0 racerunners for the front. For the back I have some alcans with a 2” lift and an extra 300lb over stock coming in the next week or so.

Questions:
    I know the coilovers are “bolt on” but do I need/should I replace anything? Bushings, top plate, etc I have no clue what I would need.

Basically the same question with the rear leaf pack, it comes with new bushings, do I need new u bolts or anything else?

For the rear I plan on going with bilsteins as I’ve read they work well and there is no need for sway aways or whatever else. Suggestions? Which bilstein 5100/5125?

Thanks

2. May 11, 2012 at 6:08 AM
    Sublime

Sublime Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 4x4
    Icon/All Pro.....chopped for 35's
    The coilovers will take care of the front and will be all you need. If they're ext travel (don't think they are, but maybe check) you'll need after market uca's otherwise it isn't necessary!

As for the rear, you will need longer ubolts and its up to you with extended brake lines. Some do...some don't! At the very least, when you're replacing the leafs and its drooped out you can see how far they're stretched and bent the brackets for extra slack or get a spacer that lifts the bracket higher. The 5100s back there should be good! The 5125's are the same shock just in different lengths.

Other than that your set man.......the 2.0 shocks are a little smaller than the 2.5 and will heat up quicker but that mostly applies to higher speed wheeling where it will be cycling quickly for a period of time. The 2.0 is a great option and better than a preloaded 5100 in the front. Just don't crank the preload up too high!

Post some pics and report back on everything!

3. May 11, 2012 at 12:05 PM
    nagorb

nagorb [OP] Should be a dang perma mod

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2001 dbl cab 4x4
    Cool thanks!

They aren't extended travel.

I'll look into getting break lines, don't think there is anywhere nearby that has them so its best to order them now.

I don't plan on any crazy off roading so I think the 2.0 will be best a the 2.5 are $200 more.

I forgot in my first post the alcans are set at 1"

Products Discussed in

To Top