1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need tips for purchasing 2005 Taco

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Gundy315, Mar 26, 2010.

1. Mar 26, 2010 at 12:52 PM
    Gundy315

Gundy315 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner DC SB
    OME 885, 5100s, 3-leaf AAL, Camburg ball-joint UCAs, Moto Metal 957 (17x9; black), 285/70-17 Kumho KL78, color-matched grille w/ grillcraft mesh upper & lower, All-Pro rear bumper, Leather Seats, WeatherTech mats, JVC DDIN H/U (w/ BT, & Sat), Pioneer 6.5" comps, 500w amp & 10" sub,
    This is my first post on TW, but I've been lurking for a while. After a couple months of begging, the wifey has finally granted me permission to pick up a new (to me) used Tacoma.

I am going to check out a 2005 PreRunner TRD Sport this evening, and was hoping I could get some suggestions as to issues or problems to look for. The truck has 58K on the clock, and from the grainy craigslist pics, appears to be in pretty good shape.

I'm a bit of a gearhead, and I'm confident that I can spot most glaring issues/problems. However, I just want to tap into the great TW knowledge base to see if there are any discreet problems that should be a deal breaker or cause for alarm.

Thanks in advance!

2. Mar 26, 2010 at 12:55 PM
    Jimmyjohn

Jimmyjohn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Big Sky Country Montana
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 4x4 DLB CAB
    Smitty Blt Bull Bar& Skid Plate, PIAA 525SMR lights
    I just got my 06 and from what I've found they are hard to come by. Grab it!!!

3. Mar 26, 2010 at 1:03 PM
    pataco

pataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Down by the lake
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 trd dc white
    FOX 2.0 RESIS,LRUCAS,BILLY 5100S ON THE REAR.MAGNAFLOW 11264,COLOR MATCHED GRILL,YELLOW FOG MOD.OVER HEAD DVD,FEDERAL COURAGIA M/T
    welcome to tw.thats low milage on a 05.i assume its a private party?if so ask to see service records if they have any.any warrenty work done ect.look good underneath for signs of offroading.my 05 has had "0" problems so far,so good luck to ya.

4. Mar 26, 2010 at 1:04 PM
    CAMZTRD

CAMZTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    steve
    hampton, va
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC TRD Off-Road 4x4
    billy 5100's @ 2.5 w/ 1/4 spacers, toytec aal, LR UCA's, revotec headlights,revotec taillights, lamin-x fogs, color matched grille and rear bumper, undercover, bed-extender, black nerf bars, scan gaugeII , afe drop in, 50 series flowmaster, 6000k bi-xenon hids, more to come.......
    first, welcome to TW....second, if you want a 4x4 dont settle for a prerunner, get what you want the first time.

5. Mar 26, 2010 at 1:42 PM
    Gundy315

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner DC SB
    OME 885, 5100s, 3-leaf AAL, Camburg ball-joint UCAs, Moto Metal 957 (17x9; black), 285/70-17 Kumho KL78, color-matched grille w/ grillcraft mesh upper & lower, All-Pro rear bumper, Leather Seats, WeatherTech mats, JVC DDIN H/U (w/ BT, & Sat), Pioneer 6.5" comps, 500w amp & 10" sub,
    Thanks, guys.

First off, yes... its a private party.

Apparently the owner paid cash up front, so he owns it outright and he bought it for his mother to run around town. It seems she hardly ever drove it. I'm assuming its never been off-road. I drove a lifted Jeep Wrangler for several years, and put it through the wringer on the trails... so I know what to look for as far as that goes.

I'm also cool with the 2WD for a few reasons:
    1) this will be my daily driver, and from experience, I tend to break expensive stuff when I play off-road. I can't afford the time and/or money involved with anything that will require 4WD.

2) This will primarily be a street queen (but hey, I'm in TX... we love our big trucks as much as anyone, so lift, wheels & tires will go on in short order)

The rear suspension does appear to have a bit of sag going on. I know there was a rear leaf spring TSB. Would that still apply to a second owner for a 5 year old truck with 58K mi.? Or am I stuck correcting the reverse rake myself?

(hint: I'm looking for ammunition to talk the guy down on price)

6. Mar 26, 2010 at 3:04 PM
    Fortech

Fortech Well-Known Member

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100's, rear TSB, Firestone bags
    Check the timing cover for any oil leaks. This is common on the 4.0L

Check motor mounts to ensure they aren't cracked where they meet the frame.

The overhead compass/thermometer also has a tendency to die premature.

Neither of the above is likely, but you wanted some common problems.

7. Apr 15, 2010 at 10:20 AM
    Gundy315

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner DC SB
    Ok... so the deal on the truck I mentioned fell through. I checked the carfax, and the truck had previously been totaled, and had a salvage title... so I passed.

I've got two other prospects that I'm looking at right now, and wanted to get some feedback:

1. 2006 Prerunner Dbl cab, 104K mi., 3" spacer lift, 16" Moto Metal Wheels, 33" tires. Truck is super clean, and so is the carfax. Asking $15,500 (obo). Private seller that I think I trust.

2. 2006 Prerunner Dbl cab, 111K mi., 3" spacer, 20" wheels, 33" tires. Truck looks clean, but I'm going to check it out today. Asking $13K (firm)... used car lot dealer. Carfax is mostly clean. Says it was stolen in 2007, but the dealer explained that it was a repo and the owner reported it as stolen. Dealer said he is in the process of having the stolen entry removed from the history.

Both of these are on the high end of my budget. I know the miles are high, but I can't find anything in my price range under 100K miles.

Do either of these deals seem sketchy to anyone?

Products Discussed in

To Top