1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need to replace suspension parts sooner than I thought...

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Dangorah, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Apr 18, 2018 at 9:47 AM
    Dangorah

Dangorah [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dallas, TX
    I took my truck in to get the wheels balanced and rotated because I noticed a loud whirring sound coming from the front passenger wheel. Turns out the struts are allowing too much wheel travel and my front tires are cupping. The noise increased over time as the tire deformed. Now I have the tires rotated and the noise is minimal, but I can still hear it coming from the rear now.

The guy at NTB said I need:

* LBJs - 1/4" play on passenger but less on the drivers side
    * LCA bushings - he said it would be cheaper to buy a whole new LCA... I told him that is not true and showed him prices for bushing kits vs new arms.
    * New strut assembly for the front - there are bilstein adjustable 5100s on the front and they are not leaking. The springs are stock toyota TRD springs though.
    * He mentioned I need a new rack and pinion also... that can be done later in my opinion.

I'm fairly mechanically inclined but also have never done front suspension work. I'm thinking about paying someone to do the work depending on how difficult it is.

If I wanted to approach this economically, what parts would you suggest? I was planning on doing the suspension eventually but it seems if I dont do it sooner I could risk ruining all 4 of my tires. The rotation will only delay fixing the problem.

I use the truck to haul around my dirtbike, commute 40 miles a day for work, and take out on camping trips with my RTT over the bed.

For the LCA Bushings I found these for a reasonable price - I figure replacing upper and lower should be done if I'm going to do it. http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/toyo...r-and-lower-control-arm-bushings-8-3115g.html

I'm not too certain on a reasonably priced front suspension... I was thinking OME springs and maybe 5100s but that might be close to $500 just for those. I also need to do the rear suspension.

Are there any other options that are fit for the type of driving and activitites I use the truck for? Any links and advice are appreciated!

Edit: Changed LCAs to LBJs
    Edit 2: 2003 Tacoma TRD OR DCSB

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
    2002Tacoma4x4 likes this.
  2. Apr 18, 2018 at 10:03 AM
    Sperrunner

Sperrunner Respect the International Dibs Law

Member:
    First Name:
    Miguel
    Berkeley, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2016 ford transit
    Wd40, zipties, duck tape, and my hopes and dreams
    Oem of oem equivalent parts are best probably for you, try going on rock auto they have a good selection of parts for a good price, or camelback if you want oem. You can use stock hieght coils with 5100 if your not looking to lift or adjust the 5100 to level. If you plan on doing your work by yourself i would just buy new control arms and swap those in vs buying bushings, because bushing can be a pain to put in and take out.
    What in the rear needs replacing? If everything just go with a nice set of leafs like deavers and 5100 and oem shackles.

Dangorah[OP] and 2002Tacoma4x4 like this.
  3. Apr 18, 2018 at 10:06 AM
    jbrandt

jbrandt Made you look

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    El Dorado, CA (NOT El Dorado Hills)
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD Tacoma 4x4 DC
    Kings, J59's Total Chaos UCAs Custom skids Sticker mod
    Wut? Control arms don't have play in them - they are basically a single piece. He wants you to buy new control arms with the bushings already installed...

Well, cheaper for HIM to replace them, since YOU are buying all the parts. It's easier/faster for a mechanic to just toss in a new LCA, rather than press out the old and press in the new bushings. He also gets to charge YOU for the parts, and takes him less time, so win win... for him...

Another option is to go to polyurethane bushings (energy suspension). Total DIY - no press needed. Just "burn" out the rubber, leaving the steel inserts, and slide in teh poly bushings.

The coilovers (not struts), are easy to replace, but how old are the 5100's? If you have fairly high mileage, I'd go ahead and replace the shocks and coil springs, and while you're at it, do the rear, too. OME has a kit with 4 shocks, 4 springs, etc... for about $1200 - everything you need and will get you a bit of a lift, too.

You might... Is it leaking? These are also pretty easy to replace. There are some videos on this site that give really good tips on replacing it. $500 iirc for a new one from lowrangeoffroad.

If you can turn a wrench, you can replace everything yourself. Just get it aligned when you're done.

I didn't catch what year your truck is but here are a few links that might help:

Full OME suspension package: Steering Rack:
    http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/toyo...t-by-low-range-off-road-tac-sp-1gen-urpk.html

You can probably get by with just doing the shocks, (ideally your springs should *probably* go, too):
    https://downsouthmotorsports.com/i-23899027-bilstein-5100-series-front-and-rear-shocks-for-1996-2004-toyota-tacoma-2wd-pre-runner-4wd-pair-24-249928-33-247724-33-247717.html#!year=2004||make=TOYOTA||model=TACOMA

4. Apr 18, 2018 at 10:30 AM
    Dangorah

Member:
    Dallas, TX
    Currently the truck has the rear overload leaf spring flipped so it rides rough. I believe its time to replace the entire leaf pack (suggestion from TacomaWorld). I would like to keep the same ride height I have now. The truck has a 1" body lift and the rear is lifted sort of since they have that leaf flipped. The front has the adjustable 5100s.

Sorry I meant to say LBJs instead of LCAs. I saw the polyurethane bushings online for a good price. I may do that instead of replacing the whole arms. I did want to replace the springs too, ideally I would order those together already assembled so I can just drop them in. Thank you for the links!

If anyone else has any info or links please drop them!

5. Apr 18, 2018 at 10:39 AM
    Sperrunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Miguel
    Berkeley, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2016 ford transit
  6. Apr 18, 2018 at 10:45 AM
    Sperrunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Miguel
    Berkeley, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2016 ford transit
    I also like the mevotech stuff for replacing ball joints, because there higher end line are all greasesble

BAD6CFDA-B4D4-4F9D-BEEE-052CFF0AECB9.jpg

7. Apr 18, 2018 at 10:47 AM
    jbrandt

jbrandt Made you look

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    El Dorado, CA (NOT El Dorado Hills)
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD Tacoma 4x4 DC
    Kings, J59's Total Chaos UCAs Custom skids Sticker mod
    The guy said you have a 1/4" play in your lower ball joints?! I'm not really sure that's even possible. If that's true DO NOT DRIVE IT. Those BJs are WAY out of spec. The amount of play in the LBJs to be considered "bad" is barely measureable, so ANY slop and they should be replaced.

But yeah, you should probably just replace them... BJs are pretty easy to replace, here's a link I've used (with some modification):

http://bajataco.com/tech/control_arms_01.html

I'm currently running these:
    http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/1995-5-2004-toyota-tacoma-4x4-lower-ball-joints-made-in-japan.html

I ran moogs from rockauto for like 6 years. Those were fine, too. Many will suggest going OEM or nothing, but are ~double the cost of the 555's.

For the springs, you can rent a coil compressor tool from most auto parts stores for free and do it yourself and save the $$ most places charge to assemble them.

Area51Runner and Sperrunner like this.
  8. Apr 18, 2018 at 10:57 AM
    Area51Runner

Area51Runner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern California, Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    02 3.4 DC TRD PreRunner 4WD SWAP
  9. Apr 18, 2018 at 7:55 PM
    Dangorah

Member:
    Dallas, TX
    I’m going to lift the truck up and check the LBJ out for myself. It drives fine and the previous owner replaced them 30k miles ago with Moog parts.

Any cheaper options for similar leafs and front shocks with coils? I like OME but could live with a more economical option.

10. Apr 18, 2018 at 7:58 PM
    Sperrunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Miguel
    Berkeley, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2016 ford transit
    Do you want lift? Level? Or oe ride hight

Dangorah[OP] likes this.
  11. Apr 18, 2018 at 8:00 PM
    Dangorah

Member:
    Dallas, TX
    I’d like lift, I’m also running a Rooftop tent every now and then. It’s removable.

12. Apr 18, 2018 at 8:00 PM
    Dangorah

Member:
    Dallas, TX
    No more than 2.5”. 2”-2.5” seems just right.

13. Apr 18, 2018 at 8:11 PM
    Sperrunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Miguel
    Berkeley, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2016 ford transit
    I would look into a lifted leaf pack then, there are a few options to go with, if you plan on hualing heavy stuff offten go with the medium load leafs, if your bed is always full of stuff you might want to go with some of the heavy load leafs, if your only hualing every now and then maybe go with the stock weight leafs. Up front if you already got 5100 with low miles on them then just keep them and put them on the middle setting and just get new coils if yours are worn out

14. Apr 18, 2018 at 8:13 PM
    Sperrunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Miguel
    Berkeley, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2016 ford transit
    Ome, deaver, all pro all make leaf packs. What is your budget

15. Apr 19, 2018 at 7:49 AM
    Dangorah

Member:
    Dallas, TX
    Awesome. Yeah I definitely want to replace the leaf packs. As far as a budget goes, if it is significantly less that the OME all around setup then I'd go with that. If the price is close to the OME lift then I'd just buy it.

My issue is I am not very good at finding any other leaf pack options other than OME.

I'd like to replace the front spring and shock as well.

Are there complete setups for less than the OME that have the full rear leaf replacement? Most of the ones I've found are add a leafs... My rear leafs and front springs are just shot... So they'll both need replacing.

I really appreciate the help! I'm new to suspension upgrades/replacements.

16. Apr 19, 2018 at 8:03 AM
    boostedka

boostedka Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    NM
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB 6MT, 2004 4runner
    If you want to keep it economical, look into Moog stock replacement springs for the front. Their usually around $60-65

17. Apr 19, 2018 at 8:05 AM
    ThunderOne

ThunderOne Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitchell
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    1ST GEN OR GTFO
    Toyota NERD
    bruh. $26 for a ball joint?

03 NIGHT TACO and boostedka like this.
  18. Apr 19, 2018 at 8:05 AM
    Dangorah

Member:
    Dallas, TX
    So I guess the real question is what are my options for a lifted suspension. lol

19. Apr 19, 2018 at 8:14 AM
    Sperrunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Miguel
    Berkeley, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2016 ford transit
    They are equivalent to moog

20. Apr 19, 2018 at 8:17 AM
    ThunderOne

ThunderOne Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitchell
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    1ST GEN OR GTFO
    Toyota NERD
    I never thought I would type the words I'm about to type, but I'm pretty sure Moog is 50x better than those... would love for someone to test to prove me wrong.. but with a part that, if fails, can create possible catastrophic consequences, I would rather not spend $26 on a ball joint, and I wouldn't recommend anyone test something so cheap when you are putting your safety at risk..

boostedka likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top