1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need UCA for extended coils...and recon?

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by nairb, Mar 25, 2018.

1. Mar 25, 2018 at 8:24 PM
    nairb

nairb [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Oahu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCab 4x4 OR
    Hi, I have a set of Fox 2.5 extended travel coilovers waiting to go into my 2017 dcab. Planning to keep them at the factory 1" lift, maybe to 1.5". I was told that I need UCAs for the extra droop and space to fit. I prefer a balljoint UCA not a uniball. I was looking at JBA but don't want the caster to be out of factory spec....I live next to the police station and drive through Waikiki, I want recon.

Anyone have experience with JBA or SPC and getting recon on a 1" lift? I want to make sure I can get into factory specs....unless that's not needed for recon?

2. Mar 26, 2018 at 7:58 AM
    justyr1

justyr1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 Taco Turd Pro
    I might be crucified for saying this, but I've always felt the SPC UCA's looked really flimsy :notsure:. I got the fox extended travels too and am going with baja kits boxed uca's, because if it's strong enough for LT, it's strong enough for extended travel. Why are you trying to avoid uniball? Seems like everyone's complaint just revolves around them getting squeaky.

hacklerjason likes this.
  3. Mar 26, 2018 at 8:01 AM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    If you want easy alignments go with JBA, they have a factory and +Caster option so make sure you get which one you want.

With SPC you have to find someone who isn't a putts and is willing to do their job.. I've had a hell of a time trying to find someone that's worth a damn more than a toe-n-go. The SPC arms have been great, taken a beating(I bent a spindle and the arms didn't flinch), the adjustments if tightened correctly will not move.

4. Mar 26, 2018 at 8:02 AM
    Sandman614

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    High maintenance.

justyr1[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Mar 26, 2018 at 8:06 AM
    justyr1

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 Taco Turd Pro
    Fair enough.

6. Mar 26, 2018 at 8:10 AM
    Sandman614

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    and price, but I see you went with something that makes Camburg look inexpensive.

7. Mar 26, 2018 at 8:13 AM
    justyr1

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 Taco Turd Pro
    True. We all have different price points. Like we used to say to the new riders at bike meets, "just ride your ride", or i guess in this case, your wallet. I have heard good things about both JBA and SPC, I just chose to go with something different got my own reasons. Maintenance also doesn't bother me, but that's me. In the end it comes down what is best for the individual and their needs/situation.

hacklerjason likes this.
  8. Mar 26, 2018 at 8:16 AM
    Sandman614

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    Yea, i hear ya. I just can't justify spending the money on something overbuilt when something like SPC/JBA does the job well, granted that's for rock crawling and not Dune jumping.

9. Mar 26, 2018 at 8:17 AM
    justyr1

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 Taco Turd Pro
    For sure. I have a bad habit of over building my shit lol. My wife hates it. It's like an addiction.

BassAckwards likes this.
  10. Mar 26, 2018 at 1:51 PM
    nairb

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Oahu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCab 4x4 OR
    Thanks @Sandman614 and @justyr1

Yup, looking to avoid the uniball maintenance. The JBAs are nice, I just want to make sure I can get the caster into factory specs before ordering them. I emailed JBA.

Good to know the SPC arms are beefy! The way the balljoint mounted worried me. They are around the same price so maybe I’ll look into those and caster adjustability.

Getting in specs for recon is pretty important to me. After recon it can relax and bump up the caster. They do check caster at the recon station right??

11. Mar 26, 2018 at 3:09 PM
    justyr1

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 Taco Turd Pro
    @nairb Give 4wheelparts a call. Only reason I saw this is they might still have some good discounts since Truck and Jeep Fest was a couple weeks ago. They might not be discounting anything anymore, but it's worth a shot to ask. I know when I was doing my Fox's and Dakars through them they were trying to sell me on the SPC's and they had a decent discount then.

12. Mar 26, 2018 at 9:27 PM
    nairb

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Oahu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCab 4x4 OR
    I actually ordered my Fox setup from Mike just after the show. Their sale price plus $60 shipping was a pretty good deal. Mike told me about SPC but hasn't worked with JBA before. Maybe I'll send him a email and see if the SPC UCAs can get to factory specs with a 1" lift.

Are you going to increase the lift on your Fox's? I'm debating making them a little higher and getting a AAL 3 leaf no overload in the back.

13. Mar 26, 2018 at 9:36 PM
    Jason TRD OR

Jason TRD OR SIBI BUILT LLC

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Sibi Built LLC Placentia, CA
    Vehicle:
    16 Tacoma TRD Off Road 4X4
    King suspension w/ compression adjusters custom valving and 700# coils. Icon DJ uca. Icon RXT leafs Option #3. Durobumps. Demello rock sliders. Demello 30” Light Bar Baja Hoop bumper with Smittybuilt X2O winch w/ Amber baja design fogs w/ single row Baja Designs S8 amber light bar. Brute force Fab HC rear bumper. Behind Grille Light bar. TRD Pro Skid plate. Pelfrey Mid and Transfer case skid. TC spindle and cam tab gussets. Pop and lock. Method NV wheels 16”. SpiderTrax 1.25” wheel adapters. Yokohama Geolandar M/T (315/75/16). CMC. Radiator core reinforcement. Pro grille. Tailgate inlays. Baja Designs A pillar Ditch lights. Leer 100 XQ shell w/ power locks. In bed mounted spare. Blacked out emblems. Bed Mat. Bed Stiffeners. K&N air filter. Black Headlight Mod w/ LED projectors. Wrap Armor Anti glare hood and bedside decals. American flag decals. Northstar 24F AGM Pro battery. Differential breather relocate to rear tail light. Prinsu Designs Cabrack and Cap rack. OVTUNE Sibi Custom performance 4.88 91 fuel AGM . Nitro Gear 4:88 gears. Mountain hatch tailgate insert. In bed mounted Krazy Beaver shovel with Relentless quick fist bedrail mounts. MESO ultimate turn signals. AJT Designs Quicksand Key Fob. ECGS front needle bearing bushing replacement. Tepui LoPro 2 RTT.
    Icon with delta joint

14. Mar 27, 2018 at 3:19 AM
    seoulja99

seoulja99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    E.J.
    Oahu
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB 4x4 V6 TX Baja (1GR-FE)
    all things mall rated
    I've only read the requirement for aftermarket UCA's if you have more than 3" of lift. I’ve never heard anyone struggle or complain about the stock UCA’s with a lift less than 2”. I wonder why the person/shop told you that you needed aftermarket UCAs? :confused:

Recon only looks for a "green sheet" from an alignment shop that provides you a copy to give to the Recon station. I believe the "green sheet" means that your alignment is within factory specs. Just be sure you let your alignment shop know you need the paperwork for Recon.

Also, any adjustment to your suspension will require Recon. I don’t think it’s an option or a matter of want. It’s the law here on Oahu.

My truck came with a 1.75” TRD tuned lift, and I initially added a thicker coilspring seat for additional 1” of height. This minor adjustment requires Recon. My limiting factor was my stock UCA’s, but it really didn’t bother me much and the truck performed well on and offroad.

Also, curious why you went with Fox 2.5 extended travel coilovers when you are only setting them at 1-1.5”?

hacklerjason likes this.
  15. Mar 27, 2018 at 7:59 AM
    justyr1

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 Taco Turd Pro
    If you look at the Fox site at their coilovers for the Tacoma's, there are two different 2.5's listed. One is like the Kings and Icons and you can use your stock UCA. The other says that it requires and aftermarket UCA. The guys at 4WP talked to fox when ordering it for me and (i'm paraphrasing here, plus it's a little bit of the telephone game, so take with a grain of salt) they said the one's that need the aftermarket UCA have more travel to them and a slightly different construction, so they need the UCA because the stock one will hit the coil and limit movement.

hacklerjason likes this.
  16. Mar 27, 2018 at 8:01 AM
    justyr1

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 Taco Turd Pro
    I want to go around 2.5". Maybe more, maybe less. I just listen to the dude who does the installs and knows what he's talking about, and do what he recommends ;) @hacklerjason

hacklerjason likes this.
  17. Mar 27, 2018 at 1:29 PM
    nairb

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Oahu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCab 4x4 OR
    4wheel told me I couldn’t get the oem uca arm on because of the larger fox body.

I got the extended so if I ever wanted to go higher than 1” I could. I’ve had a bad experience in the past with adding preload and making the ride really bad. Same price so why not??

Ahh ok, anyone know what the range is for green? Was it 2.7 degrees max?

18. Mar 27, 2018 at 1:33 PM
    nairb

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Oahu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCab 4x4 OR
    Haha smart. I’m still under warranty and was told not to go crazy with the lift and I’ll be ok with service and issues.

19. Mar 27, 2018 at 1:36 PM
    justyr1

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 Taco Turd Pro
    I'm still under warranty too haha.

20. Mar 27, 2018 at 1:51 PM
    nairb

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Oahu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCab 4x4 OR
    Are you going to change out your needle bearings too? I figure I’ll just drive it until it goes bad then take it in under warranty.

Products Discussed in

To Top