1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need your help, new owner.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by cspcrx, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Aug 26, 2009 at 10:09 AM
    cspcrx

cspcrx [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    21 TRD Sport 4x4 Cement
    We just purchased our first Tacoma Saturday. Its a 2009 Prerunner Double Cab with the TRD sport package. We replaced our 98 4 cyl ranger, what a difference. LOL
    Anyway, I have been reading about the TSB for the rear springs. Looking at our truck it was built 8/08 in Mexico. The springs are 3 leaf and I can not find any part number on the leafs and can not find any. I read there was a "F" or a "G" somewhere. All I can find is a "CHI" on the top of the spring and a "CD" on the bottom.
    My question is I tow a racecar (1400lb trailer, 1900lb car & extra gear) to the track. Am I going to have problems if I do not get the 4 leaf spring pack? Also I read several times about a vin list. I have printed out T-SB-0305-08 and do not see a vin list. Does someone have a link to that?
    My thoughts are that since my truck was built in 08 it will probably fall into the group. Thank you for your help.

2. Aug 26, 2009 at 11:51 AM
    bb609

bb609 O.F.

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Sport Access Cab
    FOX 2 1/2" CO's STOCK UCA's - They used to be Icons! Icons suck!!! TSB Rear w/Bilstein 5100's - Air Lift System - Leer 550 Bedcover - Ventshades - Yota Bed Mat - Sheepskins!!! - Weathertechs
    Best thing to do is load up your trailer and drag it to the dealership with a copy of the TSB in hand. Be courteous but firm about the crappy suspension. Post up your results.

3. Aug 26, 2009 at 11:58 AM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    Load everything up and see.
    The 2009's do not fall under the TSB for the springs. 2008 was the last year. All you can do is talk to your dealer and see. A few have had no problems, most have been told to pound sand. I personally have loaded up my truck with 25 bags of landscaping bark and it road and sat fine. I see no reason for me to try for the TSB, if they offered it on the 2009 I probably would still pass.

4. Aug 26, 2009 at 12:28 PM
    cspcrx

Member:
    Vehicle:
    21 TRD Sport 4x4 Cement
    I will give it a shot. I can not find the part numbers on the springs. So I do not know if they are the updated or old parts. I found the TSB with the vin list and my truck has the first one on the list (JU62N). I am fearful it has the old springs since it was built so early in 2008 and all 2008s had this problem. I found some pics someone posted with the part number painted right next to the CHI. Mine is not like that and there are no stickers on the spirngs. Crawled under and over it last night looking. Wife looked also, to confirm I wasnt going blind. Thanks.

5. Aug 26, 2009 at 1:17 PM
    bb609

bb609 O.F.

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Sport Access Cab
    FOX 2 1/2" CO's STOCK UCA's - They used to be Icons! Icons suck!!! TSB Rear w/Bilstein 5100's - Air Lift System - Leer 550 Bedcover - Ventshades - Yota Bed Mat - Sheepskins!!! - Weathertechs
    Your spring is either 2 leafs plus an overload (so called 3 leaf) or 3 leafs plus overload spring (4 leaf). Most likely, yours is 3 leaf unless it is a Canadian truck from what little I know.

6. Aug 26, 2009 at 2:24 PM
    Isthatahemi

Isthatahemi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    BFG AT's, Weathertechs, Hoppy's brake controller.
    Unless you actually have an issue, I wouldn't get hung up on it.

7. Aug 26, 2009 at 2:52 PM
    cspcrx

Member:
    Vehicle:
    21 TRD Sport 4x4 Cement
    Its two full lenght leafs and a smaller spring.
    I am going to load it up and see what happens. Then go from there.
    Thanks all.

Products Discussed in

To Top