1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need your Help

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by A_Ninja_Racer, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Sep 8, 2011 at 2:49 PM
    A_Ninja_Racer

A_Ninja_Racer [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner TRD Debadged
    OK Guys for a long time I've been stressed with the dilemma of where to mount my Brake controller. I like I nice clean looking truck and I didn't want to drill any wholes into the dash of the truck that might be noticeable if I ever had to remove it when I was ready to sell it. I also didn't want it to be in the way of anything but I Finally figured it out. There is a pocket on the left side of the Dash that also acts as the cover for the Fuse Panel. I want to take that pocket and cut the back of it out so that the Brake Controller can slide in far enough that I can open and close the pocket still. This will allow me to have the pocket closed when I'm not using it and opened when I am using it. I can't wait to have the controller permanently mounted. What I need your help for is I don't want to use my original pocket I want to order a new one from the dealer so that they can easily be swapped out if I ever needed to. I know this part is color coded because It matches my gray dash and the wouldn't put a gray pocket on a Tan dash. My Local dealer is not able to find this part in there system so I was hoping you guys will be able to help guide me. I promise to take pictures of the install as soon as I have the replacement part. Thanks for you help in advance.

2. Sep 8, 2011 at 3:05 PM
    cc350

cc350 Retired Member

Member:
    Junk yard. Pick-n-pull place.

3. Sep 8, 2011 at 3:14 PM
    babytruck

babytruck Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Barcelona AC 4x4 4.0 6spd
    Please excuse me...but what is a brake controller please?

4. Sep 8, 2011 at 3:18 PM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    Not mine, but a very good explanation nonetheless...

If you've ever gone roller skating at the rink with a large group of friends, you might very well have started a train. With everyone in single file and holding onto the person in front of him or her, the train continues in a circle around the rink. As long as everyone skates together at the same relative speed, the line will move along safely.

The group can't go on skating in circles forever, of course. So when someone needs to take a break, the best way the whole train can slow down at the same time is if the person at the front of the line sends a signal to rest of the skaters to slow down. This way, each skater stops at about the same time, avoiding any collisions. If the front skater had decided to stop on his own without letting those behind him know of his decision, the full force of the train's momentum would cause his fellow skaters to crash into him, creating a massive pileup and probably tripping up any nearby strangers.

You can think of a truck towing a trailer in a similar way. If you simply hitch your trailer up and head out on the road, slowing down becomes more difficult because of the extra weight behind your vehicle. Fortunately, most states require drivers to equip their trailers with brakes and devices known as brake controllers. When a driver presses on the brake pedal in his truck, the brake controller lets the trailer's brake system know how much braking power is needed to stop the trailer.

5. Sep 8, 2011 at 3:35 PM
    A_Ninja_Racer

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    LOL I've never heard it explained that way. Now I think I want to go on U tube and try to find this scenario because that would be hilarious to see:D.

Thanks for the mental image.

6. Sep 8, 2011 at 6:54 PM
    babytruck

babytruck Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Barcelona AC 4x4 4.0 6spd
    Thank you Colton! I understand now. :)

7. Sep 9, 2011 at 10:19 AM
    A_Ninja_Racer

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    So Apparently Junkyards aren't up to date enough in Florida to have 2005 and up Tacomas on there u pull it lots and they wont part out those pieces of the dash because it will make selling the whole dash Assembly harder for them.

Products Discussed in

To Top