1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Needs help on How to removed Third Brake Light Housing

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Antipatiko0206, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Mar 27, 2011 at 9:13 AM
    Antipatiko0206

Antipatiko0206 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Drexel hill, Pa
    Vehicle:
    05 Super White DC SR5 4WD (Debadged)
    Blackened HL, HID Conversion HL & FL, Volant CAI, OEM Audio system replaced. Redline hood strut, Remote tailgate lock/unlock, LED dome/map light, LED white cluster gauges.
    I'm trying to run my satellite antenna thru the third brake light :confused:, any inputs and advice would be appreciated.

2. Mar 27, 2011 at 9:25 AM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    First take the cover off. Is it 05 and up or 04 and down? I am sure all 05 and ups have torx screws for the cover. Get that cover off, take out the bulbs and see what you're working with. If you don't see any screws on the outside they may be on the inside which you'll have to gain access to get the sat wire out anyway. After checking both sides and you don't see any screws then you know you have plastic tabs holding it in. Careful not to break them but don't be afraid to use a lil force. Don't use any metal object to pry it out, use plastic, maybe modify an old toothbrush into a screw driver kinda like they do in jail, and use that to pry. This is the best I can do to help you cuz I don't feel like disassembling my stuff. But if I were to, that is what I'd do.

3. Mar 27, 2011 at 9:29 AM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    Didn't pay attention that you were Drexel Hill. I am out in Spring City, which is west of KOP on 422. If ya need help with this you can come over my place and I'll help ya out no prob. I'm off next thurs and this mon thru weds I don't leave for work til after noon. PM me if interested. Also looked and saw it was an 05. Should be torx screws. I have those if ya need.

4. Mar 27, 2011 at 10:36 AM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    I did this in my 08.

After removing the 2 torx screws from the lens, pull out the lens and remove the bulb(s).

You should see the reflective housing. Mine had no screws, but it was held in place by a foam gasket that had adhesive on both sides. It took some force to remove the reflector, and I did that by cutting the gasket. Just be very careful not to scratch the paint.

After removing the reflector you should have complete access to the interior of the cab thru the hole in the sheetmetal.

To make the access a bit easier, I popped loose a few of the clips holding the headliner in place along the back window. That made fishing the antenna wire thru the headliner to the C pillar much easier.

After locating the spot where I wanted the magnetic antenna to be, I reinstalled the reflector using some multi-purpose sealent to keep it from leaking. Than installed the bulb(s), put the lens back, and put the 2 torx screws back in.

The antenna wire came out thru the slice in the gasket and never leaked.

No pics to share. Sorry.

5. Mar 28, 2011 at 9:45 AM
    Antipatiko0206

Member:
    Drexel hill, Pa
    Vehicle:
    Blackened HL, HID Conversion HL & FL, Volant CAI, OEM Audio system replaced. Redline hood strut, Remote tailgate lock/unlock, LED dome/map light, LED white cluster gauges.
    Chris & Scott,

Thanks for your input guys... Now I am more confident to tackle tis little project of mine. But it has to wait a few more days, still cold for me to do some tweaking outside. More power to you guys especially the forum.

6. Apr 2, 2011 at 1:57 PM
    Antipatiko0206

Member:
    Drexel hill, Pa
    Vehicle:
    1. prying out the housing with a hard plastic object. I think you can also use a fishing line on this, similar process when debadging my truck.
    [​IMG]

2. pulling it out, nice and slow.
    [​IMG]

3. running the antenna cable, thru the headliner (pop the two plastic tabs inside to loosen the headliner)
    [​IMG]

4. dry fitting ( i made a bobo on this, measured once, cut it twice, notice the wire slot in the housing)

[​IMG]

5. finished product w/ silicone sealant.
    [​IMG]

7. Apr 2, 2011 at 5:44 PM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    Nice......

8. Apr 3, 2011 at 4:35 AM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4

Bravo :cheers:

Products Discussed in

To Top