1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Negotiate price of new Tacoma???

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by GAP.308, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Jun 15, 2011 at 3:50 PM
    GAP.308

GAP.308 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Arizona
    Hi TW, I've tried twice to post this from my (not so) smart phone and it didn't take. Not sure why as I use this device all the time on forums. So I'll try again.

My question is regarding the negotiating of the sticker price with a Toyota dealer. I'm looking to buy a 2011 Tacoma, TRD/Offroad, Access cab. My local dealer, the only one, says that they do not negotiate the sticker price due to the popularity of the Tacoma and that there are no factory incentives. If I have to pay sticker I'll feel like I'm getting ripped off. Is this realistic to have to pay sticker? Should I play hardball with a dealer that takes this stance of the sticker price is what it is. HELP

PS: The sticker on this Tacoma is $30,900

2. Jun 15, 2011 at 3:54 PM
    Cr250jumper

Cr250jumper Señor member

Member:
    The moon
    Vehicle:
    50 shades of tan©
    Tacoma with some stuff melted to it
    Well you could play hardball and he will probably sell it to the next guy that walks in. Sucks but yeah Tacoma's do not get much discount. You could go look at a Ford Ranger. Im sure they are discounting and offering any incentive they can to get you to buy those pieces lol

3. Jun 15, 2011 at 4:00 PM
    carcharias

carcharias Giggiddy what what

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 AC MGM OR
    Kings all-around w/ 700lb coils, Dakar leaf pack, TC uca's, DO single hoop bumper, BAMF bolt-on sliders w/ kickouts, Rigid 20" e-series spot/flood, aFe pro-dry, BFG KM2 255/85/16, silver TRD FJ wheels, WARN M8000-s, Access LE, Grillcraft, BAMF lightbar, BAMF rear dif skid, BAMF LCA skids, window tint, Wet Okoles, WeatherTech floorliners, Silverstar lights, led dome lights, Redline Tuning hood struts, center console lock mod, mag-lite mod, extra d-rings, re-routed exhaust, ATO skids, ATO Hi-Lift mounts, pipe tailgate lock, seatbelt alarm delete, wheel/spare locks, Viper 5901, LoJack... WISHLIST: a golden canary that poops platinum
    Just bought mine the first week in January. Believe I paid $28750 and the sticker was over $32k.

DON'T EVER PAY STICKER!!! Build your vehicle off of Edmunds and other sites, then submit your final figure (with a couple bucks to the dealer) to a few different dealerships. The world is too small now to settle on one vehicle - many dealerships (like Power) are national and will ship around the country. ALWAYS NEGOTIATE!!

Good luck!

4. Jun 15, 2011 at 4:21 PM
    Ninja

Ninja The Lone Wolf of TW!

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    '04 Prerunner SR5 Reg. Cab
    Go to e-bay motors and input your zip for a Toyota Tacoma, the first line should be a build and price. Build your Tacoma how you like(or what the dealer had) and see what kind of a deal they will offer and if your local dealer is one of them. Use that to talk down the dealer on price. Looking at the Flagstaff Toyota Dealer, they are offering a $250 cash incentive on new Tacomas, which isn't much but it's something.

5. Jun 15, 2011 at 5:11 PM
    Dbl Gray

Dbl Gray New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    11 DC PreRunner SR5
    I just bought last month. I found that the dealers near me were all willing
    to work from invoice. Anywhere from invoice to 500 plus.

If the vehicle is low to mid 20k I found you could get about 1200-1500
    off msrp. Vehicles over 30k around 2k below msrp.

I spoke to local dealers and a couple within a few hundred miles. It always
    worked out to be about the same discount. As someone mentioned it
    doesnt seem like there is alot of room to deal.

6. Jun 15, 2011 at 6:03 PM
    Maticuno

Maticuno Resident Pine Swine

Member:
    California High Deserts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Suburban 2500
    JBA Shorty Headers, Flowmaster FlowFX Sing/Dual Exhaust
    If your local dealer is unwilling to haggle, then look for another dealer. It's cheaper to drive a fair distance to get a great deal.

7. Jun 15, 2011 at 6:30 PM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
    There was a time you would be lucky to get certain Toyotas at sticker- Today, only those models made in Japan are probably harder to deal on. The Tacoma should be had for around invoice +200-300 or so. I would start there...:cool:

8. Jun 15, 2011 at 8:02 PM
    GAP.308

GAP.308 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Arizona
    How does the sticker of $30,900 sound of the truck I described in my original post?

9. Jun 15, 2011 at 8:09 PM
    carcharias

carcharias Giggiddy what what

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 AC MGM OR
    Kings all-around w/ 700lb coils, Dakar leaf pack, TC uca's, DO single hoop bumper, BAMF bolt-on sliders w/ kickouts, Rigid 20" e-series spot/flood, aFe pro-dry, BFG KM2 255/85/16, silver TRD FJ wheels, WARN M8000-s, Access LE, Grillcraft, BAMF lightbar, BAMF rear dif skid, BAMF LCA skids, window tint, Wet Okoles, WeatherTech floorliners, Silverstar lights, led dome lights, Redline Tuning hood struts, center console lock mod, mag-lite mod, extra d-rings, re-routed exhaust, ATO skids, ATO Hi-Lift mounts, pipe tailgate lock, seatbelt alarm delete, wheel/spare locks, Viper 5901, LoJack... WISHLIST: a golden canary that poops platinum
  10. Jun 15, 2011 at 9:14 PM
    vtdog

vtdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    NH
    People who pay sticker price are known as "baby seals" by the salesmen. Thats baby seals as in the videos of them being bashed over the head by "hunters". Either way, not a pretty picture

11. Jun 15, 2011 at 9:34 PM
    JstreetS

JstreetS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    DFW, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport DCLB
    -6" Procomp -18" Method Race Rims -285/70R18 (34.1x11.5) Toyo MTs -TRD CAT Exhaust -Trifecta Tonneau
    Don't pay sticker! I was able to get mine nearly $3000 below sticker, before I threw down the extra $1000 off for being a recent college grad!

For what it is worth, the Toyota where I live now has a no negotiation policy and you could look for a similar style truck to get a basis for what their "Toyota Price" is. I think their prices are high, glad I didn't have to deal with them. Here is their link: http://www.toyotaoftricities.com/index.htm

12. Jun 15, 2011 at 10:16 PM
    thainess

thainess Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sugar Land, tx
    Vehicle:
    10 prerunner trd offroad
    Plasti-dip emblems
    never pay sticker simple as that

13. Jun 15, 2011 at 10:32 PM
    genxer36

genxer36 Lord of Tomfoolery

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Tow package, XM Satellite radio, K & N Air filter, & Channel Vent Visors
    Are you a Bank of America customer? Car buying center will save you some cash.
    http://bankofamerica.zag.com/main.html?cm_mmc=eLend-Auto-_-BAC-Homepage-_-AutoLoans-_-TextLink

Or use Carsdirect.com free car buying service.

If you are a member of a credit union, or Sams club, & Costco. They have a car buying service.

The biggest problem with getting a discount on Tacoma's in 2011 is the factory won't be back to full production till this fall. So dealers are less likely to give great deals. I paid invoice for mine back in April. If supplies were abundant I could have purchased it for $1500 below invoice with the car buying deal that Bank of America set up. The dealer said they couldn't sell that low with short stock. The sales manager said it wouldn't have been a problem if the tsunami & earthquake didn't hit Japan.

14. Jun 15, 2011 at 11:02 PM
    cortez_a

cortez_a Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Colorado
    I'll tell ya what I did, I built the Tacoma I wanted on Toyotas website, then I contacted the dealers, (that were within about a 5 hour drive of me) via Toyotas website. They saw what I wanted and offered their prices on it. After I recieved offers from all the different Toyota dealers, I replied to them with the lowest price offer I had, a few dropped out but several kept under bidding one another.

The sticker on my truck was $29,049 and I brought my dealer down to $26,895 :cool: . If you can shave a couple thousand dollars off the price of a car by driving a couple of hours, why wouldn't you do it?

15. Jun 15, 2011 at 11:19 PM
    TACOMA TRD

TACOMA TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM SPORT DC 4x4
    Alpine HU, Apline 6.5 3 way Speakers, Access Cover.
    Hello,

Sticker was $32,323, I paid $29300 on memorial day weekend.. I know this was the best they can do...because my salesman said this is the best we can do. :D

but anywho...when I bought mine there was 1,000 cash back on all the Tacoma's not sure if it was just my dealership ponying up...or if it was factory....now i think its just $1000 on Regular cab's. I bounced the 29300 around a few dealerships and one about 100 miles away said they would match...wasnt worth my drive. In the end it was the truck and color i wanted and I did the deal, not sure if it was good or not, but Im happy.

16. Jun 16, 2011 at 5:05 AM
    ohdrj1all

ohdrj1all Well-Known Member

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2003 XtraCab 4x4 SR5 2.7L 5spd
    Paying sticker is easily avoided by going thru the dealership's fleet and/or internet sales department. Bypass the predator "lot" salesman altogether, by finding out who the fleet/internet sales manager is and going straight to him/her. Should be good for a couple grand off sticker.

17. Jun 16, 2011 at 11:30 AM
    kn38ms

kn38ms Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW, FL
    Wait for Toyota to offer rebates.
    Then email multiple Internet depts and offer $100 over invoice, minus the available rebate.

You will find a dealer that will agree to this. Be a patient hunter...:D

Later this year me thinks there will be $2-3000 rebates.

Never walk on to a lot. Internet is the only way to go.

18. Jun 16, 2011 at 11:40 AM
    TexAggie

TexAggie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    OME Lift
    Should be more like $28k 27 if 2wd

19. Jun 16, 2011 at 11:54 AM
    woodygg

woodygg Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    04 DC Tacoma 4x4
    it depends.

supply and demand.
    where you live (how far is the next dealer?) - the more dealers around, the better.

i do not know the current supply and demand of the trucks. even before the sunami, they were always a bit tight on supply.

and by the way, never negotiate down from the sticker. always negotiate up from their cost. keep that mindset.

btw, it's easy to figure this out... find all the dealers you're willing to drive to, call their fleet manager and ask for their price over the phone. done. then you know what your lowest price will be.

20. Jun 18, 2011 at 2:39 PM
    GAP.308

GAP.308 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Arizona
    I'd like to say thanks to everyone that added input to this thread. As you may recall my choice was centered around a 2011 TRD/Offroad, 4x4, Access cab. The dealer did not have one but found one about 150 miles away. He did however have a 2011 TRD TX-PRO, 4x4, Access cab. Long story short I talked myself into it, which wasn't very hard, and got the TX-PRO which in reality is the Offroad with a few extra goodies. I ended up getting it for a shade under $3,000 off of sticker. I've seen a fair amount of bashing of the TX-PRO on this site but it is a very nice truck and I'm damn happy with it.

Thanks again.

Products Discussed in

To Top