1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Negotiating Tactics In Person

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by rectangleboy, May 23, 2018.

1. May 23, 2018 at 7:52 PM
    rectangleboy

rectangleboy [OP] Member

Member:
    Mountain View, CA
    I'm about to get a Tacoma this weekend: 4x4 Premium Off-Road 6MT, no accessories.

How do I negotiate price? What tactics should I be aware of from them? What tactics should I employ? What has worked for you?

2. May 23, 2018 at 8:00 PM
    trd09

trd09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    NW Ark
    Vehicle:
    17 TRD Pro 6AT
    Email as many dealers as possible

3. May 23, 2018 at 8:00 PM
    WATaco

WATaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Seattle-ish, WA
    Vehicle:
    '14 Tacoma ORD
    Leer, AllPro sliders, Prinsu, OME, JBA UCA
    That's a loaded question, a lot has to do with how in demand the vehicle is in your area.

At the very least, I strongly suggest checking with any car buying service you may have access to. Some credit unions have them, or Costco / Sam's club. I bank with USAA and was able to use theirs and Costco's along with a local CU to do some research.

Ultimately when I found a deal that had the truck I was looking for, I pulled the trigger through USAA's service and the dealer called within 15 minutes. Told him what price I was willing to pay, based on USAA, and he agreed, so it was pretty easy.

If you don't have access to something like that, I would also strongly suggest you get pre-qualifed for a loan through a credit union before going to the dealership. You'll know what you can afford, and likely will get a better rate than the dealer will offer. If you don't have a CU account, you can usually set one up for a minimum deposit.

IMO the last person you want to be negotiating with is the dealer. The ideal position to be in (again, IMO) is to know what you want, how much you are willing to pay for it, that you already have the loan arranged and don't need their help, and are prepared to walk away if they try to move you off that UNLESS they can go lower.

The one thing I wished I'd done different was not knowing that the dealer could have installed my OME suspension components as part of the purchase. Since I went that route, it would have been nice to have that out of the gate and rolled up into the financing. If that's something you think you'll be doing you may want to ask them about that option. Only one of the dealerships local to me does that.

Good luck!

tacothyme, musher and Spare Parts like this.
  4. May 23, 2018 at 8:00 PM
    TheFang

TheFang No Big Deal

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport
    TRD Exhaust, URD Short Shift, TRD Supercharger, Hellwig rear sway bar, TWM shift knob, limo tint, URD Y-pipe, URD LT Headers, URD Rear O2 Sim, Custom tube front and rear bumpers, LED spot pods, K&N CAI
    And then bid them against each other to get the lowest price.

synaps3 likes this.
  5. May 23, 2018 at 8:01 PM
    Spare Parts

Spare Parts Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2022 Off Road Premium 4Runner Lunar Rock
    Is that truck on the lot?

If not work dealers against each other, you will have better luck next weekend I would believe.

6. May 23, 2018 at 8:08 PM
    roadking1

roadking1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    n.j.
    Vehicle:
    2023 Solar Octane TrdPro 6-speed manual
    Have the invoice with you.Mention the dealer hold that he is getting.Do not buy any extra crap.Tell them that you don't even want to hear about the Dealer Added Profit Items...(window etching,paint sealant,extended warranties etc) If you trading in a vehicle do not even mention it until you have agreed on a price for the new one.

7. May 23, 2018 at 8:09 PM
    roadking1

roadking1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    n.j.
    Vehicle:
    2023 Solar Octane TrdPro 6-speed manual
    REMEMBER THAT CAR DEALERS ARE TRAINED TO STEAL YOUR MONEY!!!

8. May 23, 2018 at 8:11 PM
    12 TRD OffRoad

12 TRD OffRoad Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma SR 4x4 utility package
    Get your financing prior to going to dealership.

Write down the price you'll pay for the truck INCLUDING tax and whatever fees they charge. Hand it to salesman. Tell him he has 2 chances to get that number and 30 mins to do it. Mean it too. In other words if he doesn't get you your number by the second time, leave. If you've been in the dealership office for longer than 30 mins and don't have your price, leave.

Negotiate your trade in AFTER you get the price you want for the new truck.

Be prepared to say "no" 1,000 times in the finance office when they try to sell you a bunch of extra crap.

7r41lbr34k3r and Bushed like this.
  9. May 23, 2018 at 8:16 PM
    maxtherat

maxtherat Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Athol, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2001 Dodge Ram 2500
    All the usual diesel truck mods- fuel system upgrade, programmer, CAI, intake manifold, j hooked waste gate
    Be fair, be realistic, draw a line in the sand and be willing to walk way. Actually walk away. If your number is realistic they will call you back.

big_jarv likes this.
  10. May 23, 2018 at 8:18 PM
    Artruck

Artruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lawrence, KS
    Vehicle:
    '09 Super Basic
    Go in with a number you want to pay, an number you will pay, and an interest rate you want to pay. Get several finance options, and start at what you want to pay.

Do you NEED this truck. If not, be willing to not buy it that day. Also know your deal breakers and stick to them. Model, options, color etc. don’t sweat stuff that can be done later by you or a shop.

They have to sell trucks, that’s their business. Your’s isn’t buying.

Also get it in writing before you sign anything. And don’t let them pull the better finance deal after you deal and bring you back for more documents to sign.

11. May 23, 2018 at 8:18 PM
    hiPSI

hiPSI Laminar Flow

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2024 Long Tundra
  12. May 23, 2018 at 8:18 PM
    Arries289

Arries289 Yo!

Member:
    Franklin TN
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRDOR DCSB BBP 6MT Tech & Prem
    The real question is what is the price they will allow you to walk out of the dealership with, if you don't accept it. When I negotiate, that is the price I am after. If you walk and they don't follow or attempt to contact you (assuming you haven't been a big dick in the negotiation process), that is a pretty good price. I intentionally low ball and walk on all offers. I work only large dealerships as I find they are most willing to negotiate. I then take that price to my preferred dealership (my preferred dealership is the one that I really want to work with ie: most local) and tell them that I have that offer standing.

Prior to the above, I email a form letter to 5 dealerships and work the best email offer I can get. Usually, they low ball to get me in the dealership. That works to my advantage though, as I am going to usually walk anyway.

13. May 23, 2018 at 8:21 PM
    kpinthebay

kpinthebay Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hawaii ==>>SF Bay Area
    Heres the issue...OP wants an OR with premium and in stick. Relatively rare. I usually only see the premiums in fully loaded rigs.

Contact Freeman in Santa Rosa or Antioch Toyota. The internet dept will give you close to invoice right off the bat. From there, im sure you can shave a few more $$.

14. May 23, 2018 at 8:25 PM
    Dacon

Dacon 2017 Tacoma TRD PRO Quikrete

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    Gilbert, Arizona.
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD PRO DCSB. DOP 02.20.2017
    TRD PRO Cement 2017 TRD CAI and AFE Magnum Flow Dry Air Filter Camburg KINETIK Series Billet UCA Icon LCA skid plates Icon Coilover extended travel shocks with 700# springs Icon 2" rear shocks Icon RXT leaf springs full pack (new rims and tires soon)

dnlskier likes this.
  15. May 23, 2018 at 8:25 PM
    Broccoli

Broccoli Well-Known Member

Member:
    Airdrie Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2016 trd sport blazing blue,
    Most people seem to get better pricing through the online sales guys or even the fleet sales guys.
    I bought mine through the fleet sales guy online and beat all the dealers i emailed by about 1500$. Also never sign or sit too long with them in person. Tell them what you want,haggle a little and then leave. Make sure thwy have your info. because within a few days hell call you with a new special price...

16. May 23, 2018 at 8:26 PM
    cmbondo

cmbondo Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement DCSB TRD Offroad
    FOX 2.5 DSC and some other stuff too.
  17. May 23, 2018 at 9:10 PM
    Exracer2

Exracer2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colchester Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-Road Alpine White ACLB
    BRO grille, KICKER speakers, Key amp, Hideaway sub
    My procedure is quite different than most based on the posts on TW. I start searching 12 months before I buy. The dealerships I am searching get to know me as the guy who is taking my time. They learn not to pressure me real quick because I simply tell them I am looking and not ready to deal yet. If they push the sale I walk away.

When you need to make a deal the only true power you have is when you can walk away. If you need / want to deal today, this week or this month you have no power. When you can wait months or years they have to treat you different.

Since the OP is making a deal this weekend I can’t offer much in terms of negotiating tactics. He is at the mercy of the salesperson and the dealership and how bad they need to sell this weekend.

Spare Parts likes this.
  18. May 23, 2018 at 9:23 PM
    rectangleboy

rectangleboy [OP] Member

Member:
    Mountain View, CA
    I should clarify that I have one ordered (allocated? whatever) with another dealership that's a couple months away (been waiting 3 so far, but I can still wait).

19. May 23, 2018 at 9:28 PM
    rectangleboy

rectangleboy [OP] Member

Member:
    Mountain View, CA
    This dealership has had a handful of these just sitting on the lot for a couple of months, but none of them are the color I want.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  20. May 23, 2018 at 9:28 PM
    Possum Fat

Possum Fat You gonna eat your cornbread?

Member:
    Southeast OK
    Vehicle:
    Caucasion 2010 DC LB 4WD; Magnetic Grey 2015 DCLB TRD Sport
    Tell them that you're not gonna pay a penny above sticker price.

Products Discussed in

To Top