1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Nerf Bars / Running Board

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Voodoochild 2k9, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Apr 26, 2012 at 5:02 PM
    Voodoochild 2k9

Voodoochild 2k9 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    TBD
    Undercover SE; DD Pioneer Radio
    Wondering if anyone has come across a useful running board or set of bars. My wife is short and I was hoping to have something that could help her get in. The problem is that most I've seen are so close to the truck and don't really sit all that much lower than the floor of the truck. So they really aren't much of a help. The only one I was able to find that would have plenty of utility is an electric one that folds down and away from the truck when doors open, then tucks them away when they are again closed. Unfortunately they are in excess of $1000. So I was hoping one of you may be able to guide me to some plain steps that sit low enough and far enough to be of use.

2. Apr 26, 2012 at 5:15 PM
    drwoodr

drwoodr Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC 4X4 SR5
    side steps, heated seats, tonneau cover, rocky mounts, RAAMMat, 12v outlet in dash
  3. Apr 26, 2012 at 7:07 PM
    Voodoochild 2k9

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    TBD
    How much lower would you say they are than the door sill? And she feels like they extend far and low enough to be like a "step up" rather than just an extension of the door sill?

4. Apr 26, 2012 at 7:27 PM
    drwoodr

drwoodr Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC 4X4 SR5
    side steps, heated seats, tonneau cover, rocky mounts, RAAMMat, 12v outlet in dash
    Just went out to garage and measured. They are 16-1/2 inches off ground and 6 inches below door sill. She does this little dance step to get in -- stand sideways, grab handle, up with left foot, up with right foot, onto floor mat with left foot....and she's in. My old truck always hurt her back to get in. With the steps on my new truck, she has no problem and no back pain. Believe me, if she didn't like them, she would let me know about it.

Truck Champ has some videos of a short woman installing side steps, and at the end of some you can see the different little moves to get in. The last video is pretty funny.

http://www.truckchamp.com/pages/installation-videos

5. May 3, 2012 at 4:08 AM
    Voodoochild 2k9

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    TBD
    Thanks. I think the most helpful view is with the door open at the end of the vid. It really shows the advantage in height you get. I don't know why they don't advertise these things using pictures with the doors open. You can't really determine its utility by a picture with the doors all closed.

To Top