1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Never-ending waves of dust/dirt

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Unsunghero, Jun 22, 2021.

1. Jun 22, 2021 at 6:44 PM
    Unsunghero

Unsunghero [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Metallic Grey TRD Off road
    I only have a carport at my house, which only has 3 walls and then a wide open walkway into my backyard, which unfortunately has quite a bit of dirt/gravel until I can afford to get some astroturf out in (grass is just a pain in the ass here in AZ)

No matter how diligently I sweep and leafblow out the garage every weekend, every day my new Tacoma has a new layer of dust and dirt on it. So every morning I have worked into my pre-work routine to gently sweep off the dust/dirt from the roof and hood where it accumulates with a microfiber cloth. I have heard that as long as there is not thick dust or sand (which this is more fine dust), that this won’t scratch the paint, is this true?

My dad chides me for bothering to do this everyday, but if I didn’t the dust would start to accumulate to the point where it is thick enough to possibly be damaging to the paint to remove by any method other than washing. Also, I do it because it’s a new good looking truck. Let’s face it, dependability and rugged good looks are two of the main things Tacomas have going for them…just like me, hehe

I use MeGuiar’s wash and a separate MeGuiar wax and 303 on the rubber. Unfortunately post-wax the dust seems to stick even more, but I hear this is normal due to static buildup. Is there any sort of dust repelling coat I could use in addition to these?

I was thinking of trying to install a plastic sheet in place of the 4th wall, but even with weights on the bottom and a rubber type of sweep connecting to the floor I still think a strong breeze would blow it back enough for dust and dirt to fly on underneath. I eventually plan to have a 4th wall and door put in

thanks for reading and any possible feedback on what to do about my dust problem

2. Jun 22, 2021 at 6:50 PM
    TRD-Troll

TRD-Troll Smoked Orc 75% off

Member:
    NV
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDOR DCSB AT
    'Anything temporary like a sheet is going to "leak". I have had dust get into a garage when just a small part of the weather stripping got out of place.

Welcome to the desert.

Ensemble88, Tyler7544 and Malvolio like this.
  3. Jun 22, 2021 at 6:55 PM
    RedWings44

RedWings44 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black TRD Off Road 4x4, 2019 MGM 4Runner SR5
    You could come to Michigan. We substitute dust for pollen and the occasional road salt! Then there's always the classic bird shit as well!

4. Jun 22, 2021 at 6:57 PM
    OrangeRa1n

OrangeRa1n Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston Area
    Vehicle:
    TRD-Offroad 2021
    Chew and Koolbreeze7 like this.
  5. Jun 22, 2021 at 7:04 PM
    Smacky2020

Smacky2020 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Bristol, VA
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD ORDC - Cement
    Stock wheels and suspension. Random "utilitarian" mods featured on this great forum.
    Why not have it professionally ceramic coated and forget it in between washes? Sounds like you're spending a lot of time on a thankless task.

BlackTRD4Me and Unsunghero[OP] like this.
  6. Jun 22, 2021 at 7:07 PM
    Malvolio

Malvolio free zip ties for Stun

Member:
    SoCal Dumbgeon
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB SR5 2WD
    Q. Do you live with your parents?
    Some options:
    1. A few thousand bucks should get you a single-car garage kit (I have no experience with these, but I did a web search.)
    2. Somehow, lower your expectations.
    3. Move somewhere with a garage!
    4. Try a car cover? (Not sure how well this works, or if it comes with it’s own concerns regarding micro-swirls in the paint or whatever.

OrangeRa1n likes this.
  7. Jun 22, 2021 at 7:13 PM
    Ensemble88

Ensemble88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Augusta, GA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black OR DCLB
    Big ones are King suspension, SSO bumper w/winch, Pelfreybuilt sliders.
    You're in the desert. Sand/dust is the way of life. You have to drive your truck, doing that will get dust on it and probably more than leaving it parked in your carport anyway. Seems like a non-problem to me.

rickc5 likes this.
  8. Jun 22, 2021 at 7:13 PM
    Unsunghero

Member:
    Vehicle:
    No I don’t live with the folks, but they are local and my dad in particular has owned Toyotas (Tacomas and Tundra’s) his entire adult life, and is fairly knowledgeable on cars while I am not

In regards to the why, it is a matter of the color and how I like the truck to look. I like the color I chose, but it unfortunately is one that shows up dirt and dust much more easily than others. And because the truck is new and looks good, I like to keep it looking good. And for me that means a shiny mirrored paint job not covered in layers of dust. Just personal preference

I have the time and don’t mind tending to it every day. But this ceramic coat is something I will definitely look into. Also, I am taking into consideration claims that even fine dust can be abrasive. I definitely don’t want to be doing anything to damage the paint. I do wash the truck weekly. But I want to emphasize a LOT of dust can accumulate in just 7 days in my situation

9. Jun 22, 2021 at 7:14 PM
    Unsunghero

Member:
    Vehicle:
    unfortunately no, not sure if it is my choice in wax or what but this dust does not blow off, not even on the freeway at 75mph :(

10. Jun 22, 2021 at 7:16 PM
    Skydvrr

Skydvrr IG: @kalopsianick

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    YMH
    Vehicle:
    Black '17 OR
    Live with it man. Hours after washing my truck it’s dirty. Once a week is all I get. You’re fighting a loosing battle IMO.

11. Jun 22, 2021 at 7:17 PM
    OrangeRa1n

OrangeRa1n Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston Area
    Vehicle:
    TRD-Offroad 2021
    Seriously, a good wax might make a huge difference. The wax I listed is the gold standard and only takes a few caps full to do the truck.

12. Jun 22, 2021 at 7:18 PM
    Unsunghero

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I avoid parking under trees just for that reason lol. We used to joke at work that
    there’s a particular tree near my office building that anyone who parks under will have no less than 4 bird shits on their vehicle by the end of their shift. It is known.

RedWings44[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Jun 22, 2021 at 7:19 PM
    Unsunghero

Member:
    Vehicle:
  14. Jun 22, 2021 at 8:15 PM
    tguil

tguil Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    2018 Double Cab TRD Sport 4X4 AT
    Do not wipe the dust off with a dry microfiber. Whether you can see it or not you are marring the surface of your truck. If you must do this, for sure apply a high quality quick detailer first. I suggest Meguiar’s Ultimate Quick Detailer. Make sure that you are using a clean microfiber cloth. (Next time buy a white truck….seriously. It took me thirty years to figure this out.)

Chew and Unsunghero[OP] like this.
  15. Jun 22, 2021 at 8:31 PM
    RedWings44

RedWings44 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black TRD Off Road 4x4, 2019 MGM 4Runner SR5
    Oh, the bird shit knows no bounds lol. Parking under trees around here also introduces sap. That stuff can be harder to get off than road tar!

OrangeRa1n likes this.
  16. Jun 22, 2021 at 8:45 PM
    suaveflooder

suaveflooder Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner Venture
    i use this wax as well!! I have for years.

as far as keeping the truck clean, my truck is NEVER clean. I wash it once a week and just deal with the dirt that happens short of bird crap. That I get off ASAP

Malvolio likes this.
  17. Jun 22, 2021 at 9:18 PM
    9th

9th Not a Civil Engineer

Member:
    First Name:
    Smitty
    Tropic of Cancer
    Vehicle:
    2017 Unicorn Silver Sky
    lubricated fuel door hinge
    I live down wind from defunct cane fields. Non stop red gritty dirt, with god only knows what kine other shit hidden in it.

Then chickens occasionally take a big watery shit down the side of my bed. That's the best time to jump in and drive up waipoli road and get real muddy.

Then a hand wash.

18. Jun 22, 2021 at 9:28 PM
    Phil61s

Phil61s Well-Known Member

Member:
    N PHX
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma SR 4x4
  19. Jun 22, 2021 at 10:29 PM
    TRD-Troll

TRD-Troll Smoked Orc 75% off

Member:
    NV
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDOR DCSB AT
    Yea, almost like Toyota solved this problem with the Quicksand color!

Unsunghero[OP], Malvolio and DMZ like this.
  20. Jun 22, 2021 at 11:11 PM
    In2Ndo

In2Ndo Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    MGM 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
    You are going to get different opinions about this. But is what worked for me not long ago when residing in a guest house for 10 years with a mean dust problem.
    Short story, I use the California duster. It works. You just have to make sure you use it correctly. Keep the truck waxed. Plain old carnauba. I used to do mine once a month or 2. Depending on how many washes in between.
    The long story. There is absolutely nothing that will repel dust. Waxing it will attract more dust. But it will also make it easier to remove and it gives you an extra layer of protection.
    Things I learned in my quest for answers…to this problem… lol.
    People who collect cars hardly ever use water to wash their toys. water is one of the worse enemy’s of those cars. They use things from the California duster to similar things made out of some kind of feathers to clean them. And waterless washes.
    Using a microfiber cloth on a dusty car is pretty much like sanding it with very fine sand paper. The duster acts like a magnet and picks up the stuff almost without touching the surface of the paint. The more you use it. The better it works.
    Now my truck is garaged. But still use the duster and a waterless wash once in a while in between washes.
    If you decide to give it a try. Make sure you get the original, follow the instructions and YouTube it.
    You might feel like putting the brush on the paint. Is the natural thing to do. Just don’t. Is supposed to hover over the paint.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
To Top